Old 01-07-2012, 07:46 PM
Tom Horsley

Default apache IndexIgnore README?

OK, does anyone have any idea why README* is included in
the default httpd config in the IndexIgnore setting?

If I'm browsing a directory, I'd think that README files
would scream "Hey! I have useful information you need
to know about this directory!"

Why would you want to hide those by default?

Old 01-07-2012, 09:02 PM
Steven Stern

On 01/07/2012 02:46 PM, Tom Horsley wrote:
> OK, does anyone have any idea why README* is included in
> the default httpd config in the IndexIgnore setting?
>
> If I'm browsing a directory, I'd think that README files
> would scream "Hey! I have useful information you need
> to know about this directory!"
>
> Why would you want to hide those by default?

When displaying an index for a directory, the README file is used to put
a footer on the page, after the listing.

See http://www.debian-administration.org/articles/195

Because the contents of README.html are autodisplayed (unless disabled
or overwritten), it's not advisable to list the file.

--
-- Steve