Old 03-30-2008, 03:08 AM
John Summerfield

Default on creating driver disks

I had in mind the idea of doing a network install of CentOS5. The
primary impediment is that the target machine's going to be wireless
just as soon as I stick my wireless card in it.

Support for the card's not an issue, the prism54 driver in Ubuntu
Warty's been working fine for years.

What I think I would like is a driver disk.

Not really knowing how to create one, I asked Google. Google is full of
helpful advice "download dd.img and write it to a floppy" that misses
the mark, and I found Doug Ledford's kit and comments which is a bit
nearer the mark, but not really. I've read through it and got a bit of
an idea, but I think it's not going to work.

I need the driver (and I'm supposing I have a suitable one already
built, but if not then I _can_ address that), and I need to load
firmware for the wireless card.

Now I'm sure I can open up the initrd and add the necessary magic, but
that doesn't seem the One True Way.

In the interests of getting this working before me cheese gets back, I'm
going to work around the issue, but it does raise some questions"

1. Is Doug's documentation the best there is?
2. Assuming I popped the right prism53.ko and appropriate files
(including firmware) on to a floppy disk in the proper layout, would it
actually work?

3. Where is the layout of the disk described?
4. Where is the content of the support files described?

--
CU

John

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait
-- Advice
http://webfoot.com/advice/email.top.php
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555375

You cannot reply off-list:-)

Old 04-03-2008, 08:45 PM
David Cantrell

[...]

No, his notes are valid through 2.4 kernels in Red Hat products, more
or less.

2. Assuming I popped the right prism53.ko and appropriate files
(including firmware) on to a floppy disk in the proper layout, would
it actually work?

3. Where is the layout of the disk described?
4. Where is the content of the support files described?

Driver update disks have changed, again. Now we put RPMs of kernel
modules on the update disk, so it's somewhat easier to maintain the
contents of the disk.

http://www.driverupdateprogram.com/
http://dup.et.redhat.com/ddiskit/

It's new as of RHEL 5.0 and evolving.

--
David Cantrell <dcantrell@redhat.com>
Red Hat / Honolulu, HI

Old 04-03-2008, 09:19 PM
Bill Nottingham

David Cantrell (dcantrell@redhat.com) said:
> Driver update disks have changed, again. Now we put RPMs of kernel modules
> on the update disk, so it's somewhat easier to maintain the contents of the
> disk.
>
> http://www.driverupdateprogram.com/
> http://dup.et.redhat.com/ddiskit/
>
> It's new as of RHEL 5.0 and evolving.

... and may not work in the Fedora 9 beta.

Bill

Old 04-03-2008, 10:48 PM
John Summerfield

Bill Nottingham wrote:
David Cantrell (dcantrell@redhat.com) said:
Driver update disks have changed, again. Now we put RPMs of kernel modules
on the update disk, so it's somewhat easier to maintain the contents of the
disk.

http://www.driverupdateprogram.com/
http://dup.et.redhat.com/ddiskit/

It's new as of RHEL 5.0 and evolving.

It looks a lot of bother for including a driver Red Hat didn't, prism54
in my case.

A quick look doesn't reveal a way to get firmware into the image.

I set out to do what I should have done instead of relying on (lack of)
memory about the topic. I'm running a RHEL5 clone.

yum list '*anaconda*'

Okay they're all installed.
rpm -qid anaconda
Not that one.
rpm -qid anaconda-runtime
Looks promising, what's at
http://fedora.redhat.com/projects/anaconda-installer/

Oh, http://fedoraproject.org/

The particular computer I was going to use declined to power up after I
added the wireless card, so I'll find an alternative and install Linux
before putting it in place.

I assumed that I would find a prebuilt kernel module for the install
kernel (if not, then I'm well able to rebuild the correct kernel from
source, enabling the driver which is prism54).

The wireless NIC needs firmware, and I have that.

The solution David points out is fine for vendors and others who
regularly package drivers not included in the kernel source. Dell for
example.

What I was hoping for was more along the lines of
dd if=/dev/zero of=/tmp/disk.img bs=1024 count=1440
mkfs ...
mount -o loop ....
mkdir
tar or cpio to create an archive
vim to make some text files to describe the disk
cp to copy the firmware
vim (maybe) to make a script to load the firmware
umount
dd to copy the image.

That or a description enabling me to get there.

ps I think the wiki I found at http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Anaconda
should like to other source of information, including those documents
David mentioned.

Oh, the Wiki should be captured and packaged as anaconda-doc for each
release; I'm sceptical about its relevance to RHEL5 let alone earlier
releases.

... and may not work in the Fedora 9 beta.

Bill

Thanks Bill. Just the reassurance I wanted.