Old 01-06-2012, 08:06 PM
linux guy

Default F16-X86_64-Live-KDE won't boot on XPS 17

I have a new Dell XPS17 laptop. (i7, 16 GB RAM, nvidia 555 video
device, Windows 7 installed)

I am trying to run F16-x86_64-Live-KDE on it via a USB flash device.

It find the USB device. grub(2) runs. I can select the kernel. It
starts the boot process.

It hangs with the following message:

udevd[166]: /sbin/modprobe -bv pci: <snip> [168] terminated by signal 9 (Killed)
dracut: starting plymouth daemon

The same OS on the same USB flash device runs fine on my i5 server.

Any ideas ?

Old 01-06-2012, 08:06 PM
linux guy

I forgot to say... THANKS !

Old 01-06-2012, 10:17 PM
"Alan J. Gagne"

I have a new Dell XPS17 laptop. (i7, 16 GB RAM, nvidia 555 video
device, Windows 7 installed)

I am trying to run F16-x86_64-Live-KDE on it via a USB flash device.

It find the USB device. grub(2) runs. I can select the kernel. It
starts the boot process.

It hangs with the following message:

udevd[166]: /sbin/modprobe -bv pci: <snip> [168] terminated by signal 9 (Killed)
dracut: starting plymouth daemon

The same OS on the same USB flash device runs fine on my i5 server.

What video card are you using with the i5 server.

Not sure if this is your issue but I just did a lot of research before
buying a new 17" laptop and avoided systems with Nvidia video that had
the Optimus technology. Seems there is a lot of grief with running Linux

with those cards.

We have some systems at work with Ubuntu but, they have a mux switch to
turn off Optimus in the bios. Couldn't find out if the XPS17 had this
option.

Alan

Old 01-06-2012, 10:59 PM

On 06 January 2012 at 6:17pm, Alan J. Gagne wrote:
> What video card are you using with the i5 server.
>
> Not sure if this is your issue but I just did a lot of research before
> buying a new 17" laptop and avoided systems with Nvidia video that had
> the Optimus technology. Seems there is a lot of grief with running Linux
> with those cards.
>
> We have some systems at work with Ubuntu but, they have a mux switch to
> turn off Optimus in the bios. Couldn't find out if the XPS17 had this
> option.

Slightly off topic, but:

No need to avoid Optimus. Just make sure it can be disabled from the
BIOS. I just purchased a Dell M4600 Precision laptop with i7 processors
and an Nvidia card.

F15 runs nearly perfectly (including Suspend to Ram), after a few system
tweeks. But the first thing I did was disable Optimus (and the 2nd was
to add "reboot=pci" to the end of the kernel boot parms in grub.conf to
fix a problem with warm rebooting.

Dean

Old 01-06-2012, 11:01 PM
linux guy

Thanks for the reply.

The laptop has the 3D screen and does NOT have the optimus card.

As far as I know, its a plain "NVIDIA GeForce GT 555M 3GB" graphics card.

How could I run lspci prior to booting to find out ?

With grub2, is there a way to force a graphical boot that wouldn't
invoke the error I'm seeing ?

I am going to be really peeved if I can't run Linux on the XPS17. I
ran Windows 7 for an hour and it sucks ! How an OS can run so slow on
an i7 with 16 GB of RAM is beyond me.

Old 01-06-2012, 11:03 PM
linux guy

What video card does your M4600 have and which spin (x86, x86_64, KDE,
etc) did you install ?

Did the Live spins run on your laptop ?

Did you install from a Live spin or directly ?

Thanks

Old 01-06-2012, 11:14 PM
"Alan J. Gagne"

Thanks for the reply.

The laptop has the 3D screen and does NOT have the optimus card.

As far as I know, its a plain "NVIDIA GeForce GT 555M 3GB" graphics card.

How could I run lspci prior to booting to find out ?

With grub2, is there a way to force a graphical boot that wouldn't
invoke the error I'm seeing ?

I am going to be really peeved if I can't run Linux on the XPS17. I
ran Windows 7 for an hour and it sucks ! How an OS can run so slow on
an i7 with 16 GB of RAM is beyond me.

Might want to check this out.

http://www.nvidia.com/object/product-geforce-gt-555m-us.html

GeForce GT 555M
Outstanding DX11 graphics performance and long battery life with NVIDIA®
Optimus™ technology.

Try booting a rescue disk to check hardware out(lspci).

Again check your bios to see if you can disable Optimus.

There are some efforts out there to make this work with Linux.
I think bumblebee might be getting close to working or is.

Alan

Old 01-06-2012, 11:21 PM
linux guy

I double checked the order. Optimus is not available with the 3D laptops.

Item Number Quantity Item Description

225-0587
1 XPS 17
312-1182
1 90 WHr 9-cell Lithium Ion Primary Battery
317-6206
1 16GB, DDR3, 4 Dimm
317-6214
1 Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6230 and Bluetooth 3.0
317-8383
1 2nd generation Intel Core i7-2670QM processor 2.20 GHz with Turbo
Boost 2.0 up to 3.10 GHz
318-0138
1 JBL 2.1 Speakers with Waves Maxx Audio 3
318-0151
1 Tray Load Blu-ray Disc BD-Combo (Reads BD and Writes to DVD/CD)
318-0434
1 Roxio Creator Starter, FI
421-4550
1 Power DVD 9.6, 3D
318-0392
1 Windows Live Wave 4
330-6222
1 Windows 7 Label
331-1416
1 Resource DVD (L702X)
420-6436
1 PC-Restore, Dim/Insp
420-6576
1 DELL WELCOME,Software Dimension/Inspiron
420-9691
1 DataSafe Local BackUp
420-9876
1 Cozi-Calendar
421-0092
1 DELL-DOWNLOAD-FLAG
421-0757
1 Skype VOIP Application
421-2086
1 eBay Webslice
421-4043
1 E-READER, BLIO, STAGE
421-4047
1 Dell Digital Delivery Client
421-4289
1 Dell Support Center Software 3.0
421-4586
1 TRUSTED-ID,ICON
421-5780
1 Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit Service Pack 1, English, No Media
421-5957
1 E-Magazines
421-5964
1 SyncUP for Windows, powered by Nero, LAT ST
318-0432
1 Elemental Silver Aluminum
320-1981
1 NVIDIA GeForce GT 555M 3GB graphics

When you order the 2D screen, that line says "with Optimus". I know
this because I got quotations for both 2D and 3D machines.