Old 03-29-2008, 10:38 PM
Albert Graham

Default Firewire Stack in F8 Howto Wanted

Hi,

Can any one, point me to a Howto that explains how to use the new
Firewire stack in F7/8,

I'm trying to get my Mini DV camera to work with via Firewire, actually
was hoping to use the Camara with ZoneMinder.

lspci shows:
08:08.0 FireWire (IEEE 1394): Texas Instruments TSB43AB22/A
IEEE-1394a-2000 Controller (PHY/Link)

lsmod shows:

firewire_ohci 19137 0
firewire_core 36353 1 firewire_ohci
crc_itu_t 5953 1 firewire_core

However, no devices in /dev/fwX appear to be created ?

dvgrab does not see a device connected:

#dvgrab
Error: no camera exists

I checked the fedora documentation, but could not find any docs on the
subject.

BTW: I'm using kernel 2.6.24.2-7.fc8PAE

TIA.

Albert.

Old 03-30-2008, 01:51 AM
sean darcy

Albert Graham wrote:

[...]

It probably doesn't work with your firewire chip. See
http://wiki.linux1394.org/JujuMigration

You'll have to rebuild the kernel, and not use the experimental 1394 stack.

Good luck.

sean

Old 03-30-2008, 08:14 PM
"George N. White III"

Can any one, point me to a Howto that explains how to use the new Firewire
stack in F7/8,

Not much to explain -- not all hardware works, so you either change
hardware or change to the old stack (which may or may not work). In
either case, file a bug report.

I'm trying to get my Mini DV camera to work with via Firewire, actually was
hoping to use the Camara with ZoneMinder.

lspci shows:
08:08.0 FireWire (IEEE 1394): Texas Instruments TSB43AB22/A IEEE-1394a-2000
Controller (PHY/Link)

This is the entry in pci.ids:

104c Texas Instruments
[...]
8022 TSB43AB22 IEEE-1394a-2000 Controller (PHY/Link)

Using the vendor code (104c) and info2 (8022) to query:

<http://hardware4linux.info/pci/104c/8022/> gives

a null response, while a query for
<http://hardware4linux.info/pci/104c/8023/> gets many reports

of success.

lsmod shows:

firewire_ohci 19137 0
firewire_core 36353 1 firewire_ohci
crc_itu_t 5953 1 firewire_core

However, no devices in /dev/fwX appear to be created ?

What do you get from "dmesg| grep firewire"? I have a card with
an ALi Corporation M5253 P1394 OHCI 1.1 Controller
that worked with the old stack, but for the new stack I get:

$ dmesg | grep firewire
firewire_ohci: Added fw-ohci device 0000:00:07.4, OHCI version 1.10
firewire_core: created device fw0: GUID 0090e639000005df, S400
firewire_core: phy config: card 0, new root=ffc1, gap_count=5
firewire_core: giving up on config rom for node id ffc0

dvgrab does not see a device connected:

#dvgrab
Error: no camera exists

I checked the fedora documentation, but could not find any docs on the
subject.

BTW: I'm using kernel 2.6.24.2-7.fc8PAE

There have been firewire fixes in many of the recent updates. They didn't
help me with the Ali controller, but since I'm using a desktop with
available PCI slots, it was simple to add an ADS Pyro PCI 64R2 firewire
card (Texas Instruments TSB43AB23 IEEE-1394a-2000 Controller, info2=8024)
that works with the new drivers (using 2.6.24.3-50.fc8).

--
George N. White III <aa056@chebucto.ns.ca>

Old 03-31-2008, 07:08 AM
"Roberto Malinverni"

Actually, you don't need to rebuild the kernel: you can build only the
missing modules
and blacklist the new stack.
Take a look in the kwizart and in the ATRPMS repos: if you can't find a
version matching your
kernel, you can always use a srpm and rebuild it with a little editing to
the spec file and the right sources.
I did it for my external FW drives and it works.
Roberto

--
Il messaggio e' stato analizzato alla ricerca di virus o
contenuti pericolosi da MailScanner, ed e'