Old 01-06-2012, 03:44 PM
Robert Moskowitz

Default f16 - locked out again

This happens once in a while, but this is the 2nd time this week, though
the symtoms were different.

The latest occurance, I locked the screen <ctl-alt-l> and came back
later to use the system. I hit an arrow key which normally brings up
the password dialog box and even before the box showed up I started
typing in my password. This normailly works fine and opens up to the
workspace I was last on.

This time nothing happened. There was a flash across the screen like
the dialog box coming up, but the screen stayed black other than the
portion of the top panel that normally shows when the screen is locked.
I was able to <ctl-alt-F2> to another console and back. I tried
<alt-F1> then 'r' and saw the spindizzy but nothing after that. In the
end, I rebooted by logging into the F2 console. Perhaps I should have
done a tail on messages first?

Various things have happened over the past month on f16 with gnome 3.
Not coming out of suspend and having to ppull all power for a hard boot
recovery (AC and battery). Gnome locking on me with no keyboard or
mouse clicks, though the mouse will mouse around.

So it is still unstable for me.

Advise on trouble shooting?

Oh, and to the point of pulling the battery to get to a hard boot
state..... My brother-in-law was talking about his recent purchase of
a notebook with a sealed battery; ie he cannot remove it. His question
was on which kind of warranty to get. But now my question is: does
anyone have a notebook with a sealed battery and if so, how do they
recover when nothing works? When you cannot switch to another console
and the power button does nothing? How do you force a boot if you can't
pull all power?

Old 01-06-2012, 04:35 PM
Ian Chapman

But now my question is: does anyone
have a notebook with a sealed battery and if so, how do they recover
when nothing works? When you cannot switch to another console and the
power button does nothing? How do you force a boot if you can't pull all
power?

In case you're not aware there's rarely a need to pull a battery on a
laptop, in my experience anyway. Usually holding down the power button
for 5 seconds or so is enough to hard power off a machine, but of course
it should only be used as a last resort.

--
Ian Chapman.

Old 01-06-2012, 04:55 PM
Stephen Gallagher

On Fri, 2012-01-06 at 11:44 -0500, Robert Moskowitz wrote:
> This happens once in a while, but this is the 2nd time this week, though
> the symtoms were different.
>
> The latest occurance, I locked the screen <ctl-alt-l> and came back
> later to use the system. I hit an arrow key which normally brings up
> the password dialog box and even before the box showed up I started
> typing in my password. This normailly works fine and opens up to the
> workspace I was last on.
>
> This time nothing happened. There was a flash across the screen like
> the dialog box coming up, but the screen stayed black other than the
> portion of the top panel that normally shows when the screen is locked.
> I was able to <ctl-alt-F2> to another console and back. I tried
> <alt-F1> then 'r' and saw the spindizzy but nothing after that. In the
> end, I rebooted by logging into the F2 console. Perhaps I should have
> done a tail on messages first?
>
> Various things have happened over the past month on f16 with gnome 3.
> Not coming out of suspend and having to ppull all power for a hard boot
> recovery (AC and battery). Gnome locking on me with no keyboard or
> mouse clicks, though the mouse will mouse around.
>
> So it is still unstable for me.
>
> Advise on trouble shooting?

Are you using local accounts or are you using LDAP? If you're using SSSD
for user accounts, it's not impossible that it could have crashed, which
occasionally results in behavior like what you're describing.

> Oh, and to the point of pulling the battery to get to a hard boot
> state..... My brother-in-law was talking about his recent purchase of
> a notebook with a sealed battery; ie he cannot remove it. His question
> was on which kind of warranty to get. But now my question is: does
> anyone have a notebook with a sealed battery and if so, how do they
> recover when nothing works? When you cannot switch to another console
> and the power button does nothing? How do you force a boot if you can't
> pull all power?

Pretty much every laptop made in the last ten years will shut down hard
if you just hold the power button long enough (5-10s).

Old 01-06-2012, 05:10 PM
Robert Moskowitz

have a notebook with a sealed battery and if so, how do they recover
when nothing works? When you cannot switch to another console and the
power button does nothing? How do you force a boot if you can't pull all
power?

In case you're not aware there's rarely a need to pull a battery on a
laptop, in my experience anyway. Usually holding down the power button
for 5 seconds or so is enough to hard power off a machine, but of
course it should only be used as a last resort.

This has not been my experience. I have been locked up and held the
button down for up to a minute with nothing happening. In the end it
was battery pull time. So far I have only done it once on this Lenovo
x120e. The next time I will be sure to hold the button long enough to
test this.

Yes, it is always the last resort.

Old 01-06-2012, 05:28 PM
Pete Travis

I've noticed that occasionally the authentication box doesn't come up, but you can still type in your password and press enter to unlock the session.* I suspect killing the screensaver process from another tty would get you in as well.

I haven't bothered to track down the cause, but I know the issue isn't unique to Fedora.* My wife discovered the problem and solution on her laptop loaded with Ubuntu.

Hth,

--pete

Old 01-06-2012, 05:58 PM
Robert Moskowitz

I've noticed that occasionally the authentication box doesn't
come up, but you can still type in your password and press enter
to unlock the session.* I suspect killing the screensaver
process from another tty would get you in as well.

hmmmm.* Considering what <alt-F2>r was doing, this might have
worked.* Will watch for it next time.

[...]

https://admin.fedoraproject.
org/mailman/listinfo/users

Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/