Old 03-29-2008, 09:21 PM
Craig White

Default **** ****Help installing Fedora 8 on iMac G3

On Sat, 2008-03-29 at 15:09 -0700, Craig White wrote:

> ----
> #1 - burn the CD at the slowest speed possible. When you burn a CD on a
> system with a high speed CD writer and then try to use that CD on an
> older, slower CD drive, you will have file errors.
>
> #2 - Your step 3 should have worked. Were you in GUI or text mode when
> going through the installation steps (anaconda)?
----
I should add that I have installed Fedora 7 on an iMac G3 and Fedora 8
on a G4 so I truly believe that it should work though I have to confess
that I have my own local repositories and only use the ppc/boot.iso to
get the first stage boot and then finish booting and run the installer
and get the packages from my local repo.

Suggest that you boot the rescue cd again and at the prompt 'boot'

type 'linux askmethod'

and use...

http protocol
http server: ringtail.its.monash.edu.au
path: /pub/fedora/linux/releases/8/Fedora/ppc/os/

and try installing...if this hangs, don't quit but get back to me and
tell me if you are running in GUI mode or text mode

Craig

Old 03-29-2008, 09:26 PM
Catherine Fitzgerald

Ok, shall do that before trying to write another CD

Old 03-29-2008, 09:27 PM
Craig White

On Sun, 2008-03-30 at 09:15 +1100, Catherine Fitzgerald wrote:
> I was in text mode for the install. I will try burning the CD again and
> see how that goes. Thanks Craig.

----
when installing in text mode...

<Control><Alt><F3> terminal shows std out
<Control><Alt><F4> terminal shows std error
(or vice versa...I never remember)
<Control><Alt><F2> terminal prompt
<Control><Alt><F1> to get back to main window

If you are experiencing errors, either F3 or F4 above will show you the
errors and help you figure out if they are fatal.

It may take a LOOOOOOONNNNNGGGG time to resolve installation package
dependencies when you are installing off http connection since the
computer is slow and the Internet connection is likely throttled if fast
or if it too is slow.

You can monitor installation progress (i.e. resolving package
dependencies) in either F4 or F4 above and you will be likely to be more
patient when you see progress.

Craig