Old 01-06-2012, 07:42 AM
Shibi

Default Adding Menu items in gnome3 of F16

On Fri, Jan 6, 2012 at 7:28 AM, Gregory P. Ennis <PoMec@pomec.net> wrote:
> Everyone,
>
> I would like to add some simple menu items in gnome3 of F16, and have
> not figured out how to do this yet. *I tried alacarte, but it is broken
> giving me a message that gmenu has not been installed. *There is no
> gmenu to install from yum.
>
> At this point all I would like to do is to set up a couple of menu
> choices for alternate start ups of konsole.
>
> If any of you have some tutorial starting places I would certainly
> appreciate your advice.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Greg Ennis

made a executable shell script to do what you want, then add a menu
item in /usr/share/applications
every menu items in this folder will be shown in overview mode in
gnome3 and can be added to favorites and dock by simple right click.
a simple menu item in this folder looks like this:

[Desktop Entry]
Version=1.0
Name=AnyApplication
GenericName=Terminal
Exec=/usr/bin/yourexecutable
Icon=anyicon
Terminal=false
Type=Application
StartupNotify=true
Categories=Other;

Shahab Shahsavari Alavidjeh

Old 01-06-2012, 01:03 PM
"Gregory P. Ennis"

--
Shahab Shahsavari Alavidjeh

Old 01-06-2012, 03:01 PM
"Paul W. Frields"

On Fri, Jan 06, 2012 at 08:03:19AM -0600, Gregory P. Ennis wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 6, 2012 at 7:28 AM, Gregory P. Ennis <PoMec@pomec.net> wrote:
> > Everyone,
> >
> > I would like to add some simple menu items in gnome3 of F16, and have
> > not figured out how to do this yet. I tried alacarte, but it is broken
> > giving me a message that gmenu has not been installed. There is no
> > gmenu to install from yum.
> >
> > At this point all I would like to do is to set up a couple of menu
> > choices for alternate start ups of konsole.
> >
> > If any of you have some tutorial starting places I would certainly
> > appreciate your advice.
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Greg Ennis
> >
> made a executable shell script to do what you want, then add a menu
> item in /usr/share/applications
> every menu items in this folder will be shown in overview mode in
> gnome3 and can be added to favorites and dock by simple right click.
> a simple menu item in this folder looks like this:
>
> [Desktop Entry]
> Version=1.0
> Name=AnyApplication
> GenericName=Terminal
> Exec=/usr/bin/yourexecutable
> Icon=anyicon
> Terminal=false
> Type=Application
> StartupNotify=true
> Categories=Other;
>
> --
> Shahab Shahsavari Alavidjeh
>
> Thank you very much!!!!!

I believe this should be added in ~/.local/share/applications, and not
/usr/share/applications (which is systemwide and non-writable for
normal users).

Old 01-06-2012, 05:19 PM
"Gregory P. Ennis"

On Fri, Jan 06, 2012 at 08:03:19AM -0600, Gregory P. Ennis wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 6, 2012 at 7:28 AM, Gregory P. Ennis <PoMec@pomec.net> wrote:
> > Everyone,
> >
> > I would like to add some simple menu items in gnome3 of F16, and have
> > not figured out how to do this yet. I tried alacarte, but it is broken
> > giving me a message that gmenu has not been installed. There is no
> > gmenu to install from yum.
> >
> > At this point all I would like to do is to set up a couple of menu
> > choices for alternate start ups of konsole.
> >
> > If any of you have some tutorial starting places I would certainly
> > appreciate your advice.
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Greg Ennis
> >
> made a executable shell script to do what you want, then add a menu
> item in /usr/share/applications
> every menu items in this folder will be shown in overview mode in
> gnome3 and can be added to favorites and dock by simple right click.
> a simple menu item in this folder looks like this:
>
> [Desktop Entry]
> Version=1.0
> Name=AnyApplication
> GenericName=Terminal
> Exec=/usr/bin/yourexecutable
> Icon=anyicon
> Terminal=false
> Type=Application
> StartupNotify=true
> Categories=Other;
>
> --
> Shahab Shahsavari Alavidjeh
>
> Thank you very much!!!!!

I believe this should be added in ~/.local/share/applications, and not
/usr/share/applications (which is systemwide and non-writable for
normal users).

Paul,

That makes sense. Thank you. Is there a way to create a menu entry for
gnome3 as a category different than Other or any of the standard menu
labels.

Greg