Old 01-06-2012, 02:59 AM
John Wendel

Default Can I install a 64-bit kernel on a F16 32-bit system

I just bought more memory for a box that has F16 32-bit installed. Can I
install a 64-bit kernel and leave the userland 32-bit?

Thanks,

John

Old 01-06-2012, 05:38 AM
bruce

are you saying you want a 32 bit and a 64 bit os to run side by side,
ie to boot in one, and then the other, with different partitions?

or are you asking to run a mix of 32/64 apps?

can you clarify what you're looking to accomplish?

thanks

Old 01-06-2012, 12:40 PM
Stephen Gallagher

On Fri, 2012-01-06 at 01:38 -0500, bruce wrote:
> are you saying you want a 32 bit and a 64 bit os to run side by side,
> ie to boot in one, and then the other, with different partitions?
>
> or are you asking to run a mix of 32/64 apps?
>
> can you clarify what you're looking to accomplish?

It sounds like what he's asking is whether he can install the 64-bit
kernel, but use only 32-bit userland apps (so the kernel is always
running in 32-bit compatibility mode).

My answer would be: This will probably work, but it's likely not going
to gain you anything that the 32-bit kernel with PAE cannot do.

Old 01-06-2012, 01:23 PM
Frank Murphy

My answer would be: This will probably work, but it's likely not going
to gain you anything that the 32-bit kernel with PAE cannot do.

Would that depend on whether 4+ mb of ram?

Frank Murphy
UTF_8 Encoded
Friend of fedoraproject.org

Old 01-06-2012, 01:48 PM
"n2xssvv.g02gfr12930"

On 06/01/12 03:59, John Wendel wrote:
> I just bought more memory for a box that has F16 32-bit installed. Can I
> install a 64-bit kernel and leave the userland 32-bit?
>
> Thanks,
>
> John

The short answer as far as I know is NO!
Unless you have 32bit applications that specifically require the 32bit
kernel I would suggest this is a bad idea that probably won't work or be
more trouble than it's worth.
I'd recommend you install F16 64bit with 32bit application support.
This is already implemented and working, and by using backups you should
be able to do this relatively easily, (compared to your suggestion).
If you do find a way of upgrading from f16 32bit to f16 64bit it would
be interesting to hear how you get on. But I've never heard of it being
available, or attempted.

regards

cpp4ever

Old 01-06-2012, 01:56 PM
Stephen Gallagher

On Fri, 2012-01-06 at 14:23 +0000, Frank Murphy wrote:
> On 06/01/12 13:40, Stephen Gallagher wrote:
>

> > My answer would be: This will probably work, but it's likely not going
> > to gain you anything that the 32-bit kernel with PAE cannot do.
> >

> Would that depend on whether 4+ mb of ram?

PAE kernels can access up to 64GB of memory, though any individual
process can "see" only 2GB (IIRC).

But even in the original described approach (32-bit apps on 64-bit
kernel), because the apps are 32-bit, that will only be able to address
2GB anyway. If you have apps that need access to more RAM than that, you
should be running 64-bit apps, not 32-bit.

Old 01-06-2012, 03:41 PM
Jim

[...]

In the fedora repo, install a app called* ailurus ,
open app and click on tab "information"* and* scroll down to where
you see* "64 bit CPU?"* if it says Yes! you do

have a 32/64 .

There is still a lot 32 apps out there you can't run on a 64 bit
install.

That is why I went back to 32 bit apps on my 32/64 box.

The dual, triple core CPU's run 32/64 bits

Old 01-06-2012, 03:47 PM
Richard Shaw

On Fri, Jan 6, 2012 at 10:41 AM, Jim <binarynut@comcast.net> wrote:
> There is still a lot 32 apps out there you can't run on a 64 bit install.
> That is why I went back to 32 bit apps on my 32/64 box.

I haven't run into any 32 bit app that didn't work, but you do have to
have the appropriate 32-bit libs installed.

A couple of examples are the native linux version of Neverwinter
Nights and doom 3 (for The Dark Mod) which run without issue.

Richard

Old 01-06-2012, 04:05 PM
Reindl Harald

Am 06.01.2012 17:41, schrieb Jim:
> There is still a lot 32 apps out there you can't run on a 64 bit install.
> That is why I went back to 32 bit apps on my 32/64 box.

this is simply an urban legend

you can install ANY 32bit app und x86_64 fedora and you can
install ANY 32bit library with "yum install libwhatever.i686"