Old 01-06-2012, 02:52 AM
John Wendel

Default Hybrid 64/32 kernel ???

Sorry if this is too off topic, but it's bugging me and I can't find it
on Google ...

I saw a post/web page somewhere (can't find it now) that seemed to say
that some kernel gods were working on a kernel with a "new" memory model
(which I didn't understand). If someone knows anything about this, can
you post a link.

Thanks,

John

Old 01-06-2012, 09:17 AM
"Bryn M. Reeves"

On 01/06/2012 03:52 AM, John Wendel wrote:
> Sorry if this is too off topic, but it's bugging me and I can't
> find it on Google ...
>
> I saw a post/web page somewhere (can't find it now) that seemed to
> say that some kernel gods were working on a kernel with a "new"
> memory model (which I didn't understand). If someone knows
> anything about this, can you post a link.
>
> Thanks,
>
> John

Sounds like the x32 project (32 bit ABI for x86_64 using 32 bit pointers):

https://sites.google.com/site/x32abi/

GNU binutils from 2.22 has support for the new ABI and gcc support is
available from the GNU git trees but you'll need to obtain kernel, gdb
and glibc patches from the x32 git repositories (and recompile $world
to have everything use the new ABI of course).

There's a gentoo bootstrap (stage3) that might provide a more
convenient way to take a peek at what's being done without doing too
much heavy lifting.

Regards,
Bryn.