Old 01-05-2012, 11:01 PM
Aaron Konstam

Default Very frustrated with F16

On Thu, 2012-01-05 at 14:27 -0700, Paolo Galtieri wrote:
> I just installed F16 as a VM under VMware. After booting up and
> installing all the updates I cannot find the 2 system config settings
> that are present in F14.
>
> Specifically the Windows and Startup Applications config items. The
> first allows me to configure windows so that they become active as
> soon as the mouse enters them. The second allows me to setup my
> configuration so that all applications that were running at the time I
> log out are automatically started the next time I login. Where are
> these configuration items? The Windows one used to be part of the
> control-panel package, but it's no longer there.
>
> Note I am not running gnome-shell since it failed to start so I'm
> running in fall back mode.
>
> Paolo

Run config-editor Search got the term focus_mode.
Click on it and set its vlue to sloppy. The focus will follow mouse,
I am fairly sure that is how I did it.

Old 01-06-2012, 01:28 AM
Paolo Galtieri

I installed the gnome-tweak-tool package.* I ran Application->System Tools->System Settings but there was no Advanced Settings under the Personal section which is where I would expect to see it.* However, if I run gnome-tweak-tool by hand the Advance Settings app starts up (With lots of error messages) and I can set the correct (for me) setting for mouse behavior.* This package is not installed by default which seems wrong to me.

Paolo

On Thu, Jan 5, 2012 at 3:22 PM, Greg Woods <woods@ucar.edu> wrote:

On Thu, 2012-01-05 at 14:27 -0700, Paolo Galtieri wrote:

> configure windows so that they become active as soon as the mouse

> enters them.

For this, install gnome-tweak-tool. This will create an "Advanced

Settings" application. When you start that, the Windows item will be

there.

--Greg

Old 01-06-2012, 01:30 AM
Paolo Galtieri

Couldn't find the config-editor program.* I did fix the problem using the gnome-tweak-tool program.

Paolo

On Thu, Jan 5, 2012 at 5:01 PM, Aaron Konstam <akonstam@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

On Thu, 2012-01-05 at 14:27 -0700, Paolo Galtieri wrote:

> I just installed F16 as a VM under VMware. *After booting up and

> installing all the updates I cannot find the 2 system config settings

> that are present in F14.

> Specifically the Windows and Startup Applications config items. *The

> first allows me to configure windows so that they become active as

> soon as the mouse enters them. *The second allows me to setup my

> configuration so that all applications that were running at the time I

> log out are automatically started the next time I login. *Where are

> these configuration items? *The Windows one used to be part of the

> control-panel package, but it's no longer there.

> Note I am not running gnome-shell since it failed to start so I'm

> running in fall back mode.

> Paolo

Run config-editor *Search got the *term focus_mode.

Click on it and set its vlue to sloppy. The focus will follow mouse,

I am fairly sure that is how I did it.

Between infinite and short there is a big difference. -- G.H. Gonnet

Old 01-06-2012, 02:09 AM
Greg Woods

On Thu, 2012-01-05 at 19:28 -0700, Paolo Galtieri wrote:
> I installed the gnome-tweak-tool package. I ran Application->System
> Tools->System Settings

I'm not sure where it is in fallback mode (which this sounds like), but
the name of the application that runs gnome-tweak-tool is Advanced
Settings, not System Settings. It's a separate app.

> This package is not installed by default which seems wrong to me.

This gets back to the same old flame war about the Gnome 3 philosophy.
I'm not going there :-)

--Greg

Old 01-06-2012, 02:48 AM

Sorry for top-posting.

You can also edit your startup programs with gnome-session-properties . It comes with Gnome 3.
On Thu, 2012-01-05 at 19:30 -0700, Paolo Galtieri wrote:
> Couldn't find the config-editor program. I did fix the problem using
> the gnome-tweak-tool program.
>
> Paolo
I am sorry thwat was a typo. It is condiguration editor under system
tools. It i called gconf-editor from the command line