Old 01-05-2012, 08:34 PM
Alan Cox

Default Very frustrated with F16

On Thu, 5 Jan 2012 14:27:30 -0700
Paolo Galtieri <pgaltieri@gmail.com> wrote:

> I just installed F16 as a VM under VMware. After booting up and installing
> all the updates I cannot find the 2 system config settings that are present
> in F14.
>
> Specifically the Windows and Startup Applications config items. The first
> allows me to configure windows so that they become active as soon as the
> mouse enters them. The second allows me to setup my configuration so that
> all applications that were running at the time I log out are automatically
> started the next time I login. Where are these configuration items? The
> Windows one used to be part of the control-panel package, but it's no
> longer there.
>
> Note I am not running gnome-shell since it failed to start so I'm running
> in fall back mode.

Switch to XFCE, your system will run a ton faster and all these kind of
features are available in the non-gnome desktops.

Old 01-05-2012, 08:46 PM
Tom Horsley

On Thu, 5 Jan 2012 14:27:30 -0700
Paolo Galtieri wrote:

> The first
> allows me to configure windows so that they become active as soon as the
> mouse enters them.

Don't know about an app for setting this, but if you install
gconf-editor (yes gconf, not dconf) and go to the apps settings
for metacity (yes, metacity, event though it isn't the window
manager any more), you'll find a focus setting you can change
to "mouse".

Old 01-05-2012, 09:22 PM
Greg Woods

On Thu, 2012-01-05 at 14:27 -0700, Paolo Galtieri wrote:
> configure windows so that they become active as soon as the mouse
> enters them.

For this, install gnome-tweak-tool. This will create an "Advanced
Settings" application. When you start that, the Windows item will be
there.

--Greg