Old 04-01-2008, 12:52 PM
BRUCE STANLEY

Default Linux is KING - Couldn't be hacked - Mac, Vista went down in flames

Tim <ignored_mailbox@yahoo.com.au> wrote: Tim:
>> have the CPU op-code cheat sheet in the coat pocket... ;-)

Les:
> I memorized it and threw it away. Does that mean I fail the test?

If you code in pen and ink before even going near the computer, that
counts.

Back when I were a lad, we didn't use no debugger. We'd print the code,
and attack the printout with pencils out to mark all the bugs and
corrections, then type the changes back in.

Tim, waiting for one of the old codgers to tell us a tale of how they
had to make the valves and warm them up before starting... ;-)

=========

Type them in?* I remember punching them in on* Hollerith cards.

Dropped a pile of them once.*

That motivated me to have the punch card machine to
put sequence numbers
on the cards so that they could be resorted again.
punch card machine

Old 04-01-2008, 05:38 PM
George Arseneault

--- Les <hlhowell@pacbell.net> wrote:

> Several of us have responded to this thread, who did
> you think did this?
>
> Regards,
> Les H

Sorry it takes so long to reply, I only check email
when I have access.

My comment was about the original post. I didn't name
the original poster because, frankly, that would have
made it a personal attack. (not my intention!) And, I
didn't quote the post because, that would make me
guilty of re-posting the personal info.

Sorry for the confusion
George

Old 04-02-2008, 03:32 AM
Richard England

Tim wrote:

Tim:

have the CPU op-code cheat sheet in the coat pocket... ;-)

Les:

I memorized it and threw it away. Does that mean I fail the test?

If you code in pen and ink before even going near the computer, that
counts.

Back when I were a lad, we didn't use no debugger. We'd print the code,
and attack the printout with pencils out to mark all the bugs and
corrections, then type the changes back in.

Tim, waiting for one of the old codgers to tell us a tale of how they
had to make the valves and warm them up before starting... ;-)

I understand they warmed them in their arm pits to save on electricity
since it was only on for 5 hours a day....

Old 04-02-2008, 03:36 AM
Richard England

BRUCE STANLEY wrote:

*/Tim <ignored_mailbox@yahoo.com.au>/* wrote:

Tim:
>> have the CPU op-code cheat sheet in the coat pocket... ;-)

Les:
> I memorized it and threw it away. Does that mean I fail the test?

If you code in pen and ink before even going near the computer, that
counts.

Back when I were a lad, we didn't use no debugger. We'd print the
code,
and attack the printout with pencils out to mark all the bugs and
corrections, then type the changes back in.

Tim, waiting for one of the old codgers to tell us a tale of how they
had to make the valves and warm them up before starting... ;-)

=========

Type them in? I remember punching them in on Hollerith cards.

Dropped a pile of them once.

That motivated me to have the punch card machine to put sequence numbers
on the cards so that they could be resorted again.
punch card machine
Try dropping two trays , each about 2.5 feet long. They did that to me
in the data center when I was in grad school. Luckily I had just
printed they contents out and resequenced them. The manager of the data
center had a cow when I told the staff to put the deck back together,
but my advisor (bless him) stood behind me and insisted that if they had
taken due care it wouldn't have happened.

Ah cards, loved 'em (not). And drum cards. Boy there was an arcane art!

~~R

Old 04-02-2008, 03:50 AM
mjwestkamper

Ever hear of:
a IBM 1401
an IBM 7090
Punch cards,
coding pad
FORTRAN

--
Thunderbird
Linux 2.6.24.3-12

Old 04-02-2008, 02:49 PM
"Mikkel L. Ellertson"

mjwestkamper wrote:

Ever hear of:
a IBM 1401
an IBM 7090
Punch cards,
coding pad
FORTRAN

Don't forget flow charts - you were always supposed to start by flow
charting the problem before generating any code.

Programming in FORTRAN was fun. COBAL was way to verbose when you
were using punch cards and you were not that good of a typist. and
who can forget the Teletype console and paper tape...

Mikkel
--

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting a bad thing?