FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Redhat > Fedora User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 01-05-2012, 02:55 PM
Pete Travis
 
Default Another Fedora 16 + Gnome 3.2 question!?

On Jan 5, 2012 8:16 AM, "Alan Evans" <ame.fedora@gmail.com> wrote:

>

> On Thu, Jan 5, 2012 at 12:34 AM, Olav Vitters wrote:

>

> >> And what, pray tell, does 'r' do?

> >

> > restart gnome-shell (keeps existing applications; state is not perfectly

> > preserved). Quicker than rebooting the entire machine just to see the

> > changes you made to gnome-shell.

>

> A *one* *letter* command to restart the shell?!? That sOn Thu, Jan 5, 2012 at 12:34 AM, Olav Vitters wrote:



>> And what, pray tell, does 'r' do?

>

> restart gnome-shell (keeps existing applications; state is not perfectly

> preserved). Quicker than rebooting the entire machine just to see the

> changes you made to gnome-shell.



A *one* *letter* command to restart the shell?!? That seems like a

horrible mis-feature, like something I might key in accidentally.



Did developers really think that restarting GNOME-shell would be so

common that it justified a single char shortcut?



-Alan

--

users mailing list

users@lists.fedoraproject.org

To unsubscribe or change subscription options:

https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users

Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines

Have a question? Ask away: http://ask.fedoraproject.org



--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
Have a question? Ask away: http://ask.fedoraproject.org
 
Old 01-05-2012, 03:02 PM
Robert Moskowitz
 
Default Another Fedora 16 + Gnome 3.2 question!?

On 01/05/2012 10:16 AM, Alan Evans wrote:

On Thu, Jan 5, 2012 at 12:34 AM, Olav Vitters wrote:


And what, pray tell, does 'r' do?

restart gnome-shell (keeps existing applications; state is not perfectly
preserved). Quicker than rebooting the entire machine just to see the
changes you made to gnome-shell.

A *one* *letter* command to restart the shell?!? That seems like a
horrible mis-feature, like something I might key in accidentally.

Did developers really think that restarting GNOME-shell would be so
common that it justified a single char shortcut?


Truly frightening. BOth ways.


--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
Have a question? Ask away: http://ask.fedoraproject.org
 
Old 01-05-2012, 04:02 PM
Olav Vitters
 
Default Another Fedora 16 + Gnome 3.2 question!?

On Thu, Jan 05, 2012 at 10:17:55AM -0500, William Case wrote:
> Now, how do you download and install a new extension from here?
> Anything I have read is out of the dark ages involving torture and
> incantations with 'git' and 'make'. There has to be a more modern and
> sophisticated way.

There should be an on/off button. Switch it to on, and GNOME-shell is
notified to download and install the extension.

Note: Removing an extension is a bit buggy. It has been fixed upstream,
but not sure if that was already provided in an updated package.

--
Regards,
Olav
--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
Have a question? Ask away: http://ask.fedoraproject.org
 
Old 01-05-2012, 04:52 PM
Steve Searle
 
Default Another Fedora 16 + Gnome 3.2 question!?

Around 03:17pm on Thursday, January 05, 2012 (UK time), William Case scrawled:

> Now, how do you download and install a new extension from here?
> Anything I have read is out of the dark ages involving torture and
> incantations with 'git' and 'make'. There has to be a more modern and
> sophisticated way.

Many of them are available through yum - try

# yum list available gnome-shell-extension*

Steve

--

Website: www.stevesearle.com
Twitter: @ReddishShift
Facebook: www.facebook.com/steve.searle

17:48:31 up 6 days, 4:54, 1 user, load average: 0.00, 0.00, 0.00
--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
Have a question? Ask away: http://ask.fedoraproject.org
 
Old 01-05-2012, 05:29 PM
Joe Zeff
 
Default Another Fedora 16 + Gnome 3.2 question!?

On 01/05/2012 12:34 AM, Olav Vitters wrote:

Quicker than rebooting the entire machine just to see the
changes you made to gnome-shell.


Wouldn't logging out and back in be sufficient?
--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
Have a question? Ask away: http://ask.fedoraproject.org
 
Old 01-05-2012, 05:53 PM
Matthew Saltzman
 
Default Another Fedora 16 + Gnome 3.2 question!?

On Thu, 2012-01-05 at 11:02 -0500, Robert Moskowitz wrote:
> On 01/05/2012 10:16 AM, Alan Evans wrote:
> > On Thu, Jan 5, 2012 at 12:34 AM, Olav Vitters wrote:
> >
> >>> And what, pray tell, does 'r' do?
> >> restart gnome-shell (keeps existing applications; state is not perfectly
> >> preserved). Quicker than rebooting the entire machine just to see the
> >> changes you made to gnome-shell.
> > A *one* *letter* command to restart the shell?!? That seems like a
> > horrible mis-feature, like something I might key in accidentally.
> >
> > Did developers really think that restarting GNOME-shell would be so
> > common that it justified a single char shortcut?
>
> Truly frightening. BOth ways.
>

On F15:

$ r
bash: r: command not found...
Similar command is: 'R'

$ which r
/usr/bin/which: no r in
(/usr/lib64/qt-3.3/bin:/usr/lib64/ccache:/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/local/sbin:/usr/sbin:/sbin:/opt/bin:/home/mjs/bin)

$ whereis r
r:

It does seem rather unlikely.

--
Matthew Saltzman
Clemson University Mathematical Sciences
mjs AT clemson DOT edu

--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
Have a question? Ask away: http://ask.fedoraproject.org
 
Old 01-05-2012, 06:32 PM
Olav Vitters
 
Default Another Fedora 16 + Gnome 3.2 question!?

On Thu, Jan 05, 2012 at 10:29:42AM -0800, Joe Zeff wrote:
> On 01/05/2012 12:34 AM, Olav Vitters wrote:
> >Quicker than rebooting the entire machine just to see the
> >changes you made to gnome-shell.
>
> Wouldn't logging out and back in be sufficient?

Of course. Just responding to his email where he said reboot.

--
Regards,
Olav
--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
Have a question? Ask away: http://ask.fedoraproject.org
 
Old 01-05-2012, 06:34 PM
Robert Moskowitz
 
Default Another Fedora 16 + Gnome 3.2 question!?

On 01/05/2012 01:29 PM, Joe Zeff wrote:

On 01/05/2012 12:34 AM, Olav Vitters wrote:

Quicker than rebooting the entire machine just to see the
changes you made to gnome-shell.


Wouldn't logging out and back in be sufficient?


Not when you have 20 copies of firefox open each with half a dozen
tabs. And 4 copies of Thunderbird, 12 Libre (word and data) windows and
sundry others. I need to work on multiple items through the course of
the week, and do not like to find and restart things. That is why I
like workspaces; I have different workspaces for different tasks.



--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
Have a question? Ask away: http://ask.fedoraproject.org
 
Old 01-05-2012, 06:35 PM
Olav Vitters
 
Default Another Fedora 16 + Gnome 3.2 question!?

On Thu, Jan 05, 2012 at 07:16:09AM -0800, Alan Evans wrote:
> A *one* *letter* command to restart the shell?!? That seems like a
> horrible mis-feature, like something I might key in accidentally.

You noticed this before or after my email? Suggest to try it before
becoming emotional.

> Did developers really think that restarting GNOME-shell would be so
> common that it justified a single char shortcut?

It is there to ease development.

--
Regards,
Olav
--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
Have a question? Ask away: http://ask.fedoraproject.org
 
Old 01-05-2012, 06:37 PM
Robert Moskowitz
 
Default Another Fedora 16 + Gnome 3.2 question!?

On 01/05/2012 01:53 PM, Matthew Saltzman wrote:

On Thu, 2012-01-05 at 11:02 -0500, Robert Moskowitz wrote:

On 01/05/2012 10:16 AM, Alan Evans wrote:

On Thu, Jan 5, 2012 at 12:34 AM, Olav Vitters wrote:


And what, pray tell, does 'r' do?

restart gnome-shell (keeps existing applications; state is not perfectly
preserved). Quicker than rebooting the entire machine just to see the
changes you made to gnome-shell.

A *one* *letter* command to restart the shell?!? That seems like a
horrible mis-feature, like something I might key in accidentally.

Did developers really think that restarting GNOME-shell would be so
common that it justified a single char shortcut?

Truly frightening. BOth ways.


On F15:

$ r
bash: r: command not found...
Similar command is: 'R'

$ which r
/usr/bin/which: no r in
(/usr/lib64/qt-3.3/bin:/usr/lib64/ccache:/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/local/sbin:/usr/sbin:/sbin:/opt/bin:/home/mjs/bin)

$ whereis r
r:

It does seem rather unlikely.


I did it and it worked. 'r' restarted gnome 3 and 'fixed' a couple
issues. Maybe it only works within the <ALt-F2> command environment and
not from a terminal shell?



--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
Have a question? Ask away: http://ask.fedoraproject.org
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 12:10 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org