Old 01-05-2012, 06:42 PM
Robert Moskowitz

Default Another Fedora 16 + Gnome 3.2 question!?

On 01/05/2012 02:35 PM, Olav Vitters wrote:

On Thu, Jan 05, 2012 at 07:16:09AM -0800, Alan Evans wrote:

A *one* *letter* command to restart the shell?!? That seems like a
horrible mis-feature, like something I might key in accidentally.

You noticed this before or after my email? Suggest to try it before
becoming emotional.

Did developers really think that restarting GNOME-shell would be so
common that it justified a single char shortcut?

It is there to ease development.

AH. After I thought about it, I thought this was the case. Kind of an
Easter Egg thingee (for those of us not of Easter celebrants).

Old 01-05-2012, 06:47 PM
Olav Vitters

On Thu, Jan 05, 2012 at 02:42:31PM -0500, Robert Moskowitz wrote:
> AH. After I thought about it, I thought this was the case. Kind of
> an Easter Egg thingee (for those of us not of Easter celebrants).

GNOME 3.4 will have a real easter egg (discovered it only by accident; I
mean while reading git changelogs).

Olav

Old 01-05-2012, 08:37 PM
Alan Cox

On Thu, 5 Jan 2012 20:47:01 +0100
Olav Vitters <olav@vitters.nl> wrote:

> On Thu, Jan 05, 2012 at 02:42:31PM -0500, Robert Moskowitz wrote:
> > AH. After I thought about it, I thought this was the case. Kind of
> > an Easter Egg thingee (for those of us not of Easter celebrants).
>
> GNOME 3.4 will have a real easter egg (discovered it only by accident; I
> mean while reading git changelogs).

I fear that will need the chocolate printer to be available ?

Old 01-05-2012, 08:38 PM
Alan Cox

On Thu, 5 Jan 2012 20:32:21 +0100
Olav Vitters <olav@vitters.nl> wrote:

> On Thu, Jan 05, 2012 at 10:29:42AM -0800, Joe Zeff wrote:
> > On 01/05/2012 12:34 AM, Olav Vitters wrote:
> > >Quicker than rebooting the entire machine just to see the
> > >changes you made to gnome-shell.
> >
> > Wouldn't logging out and back in be sufficient?
>
> Of course. Just responding to his email where he said reboot.

And both are annoying because Gnome 3 doesn't implement session
management so you lose all your apps and config.

Alan

Old 01-05-2012, 08:55 PM
Matthew Saltzman

On Thu, 2012-01-05 at 14:37 -0500, Robert Moskowitz wrote:
> On 01/05/2012 01:53 PM, Matthew Saltzman wrote:

> >> Truly frightening. BOth ways.
> >>
> > On F15:
> >
> > $ r
> > bash: r: command not found...
> > Similar command is: 'R'
> >
> > $ which r
> > /usr/bin/which: no r in
> > (/usr/lib64/qt-3.3/bin:/usr/lib64/ccache:/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/local/sbin:/usr/sbin:/sbin:/opt/bin:/home/mjs/bin)
> >
> > $ whereis r
> > r:
> >
> > It does seem rather unlikely.
>
> I did it and it worked. 'r' restarted gnome 3 and 'fixed' a couple
> issues. Maybe it only works within the <ALt-F2> command environment and
> not from a terminal shell?

Ah, yes, from http://live.gnome.org/GnomeShell/CheatSheet:

Developer tools

Looking Glass is GNOME Shell's integrated inspector tool and
JavaScript console useful for debugging. It can be run by typing
'lg' in the Alt+F2 prompt and can then be exited by pressing
Esc. More details are here.

Typing 'r' or 'restart' in the Alt+F2 prompt will restart GNOME
Shell. This is useful when you are make changes to the GNOME
Shell code while working within the GNOME Shell. You don't need
to compile anything if you only changed JavaScript code, but you
need to run compilation as you would normally do for C code
before restarting.

Typing 'rt' in the Alt+F2 prompt will reload the GNOME Shell
theme. This is useful when you are a theme designer and want to
test changes in your theme without restarting the whole shell.
The theme file is share/gnome-shell/theme/gnome-shell.css.

Typing 'debugexit' in the Alt+F2 prompt will quit GNOME Shell.
This is generally only useful when you are running a development
version of GNOME Shell which you started from the command line;
in a normal GNOME 3 session, gnome-session will just restart
GNOME Shell if you exit it.

But it does seem a bit annoying to have restarting as a side effect of a
stray 'r' in Console 2. I suppose if you want a console, using Console
3 would get around the issue.

--
Matthew Saltzman
Clemson University Mathematical Sciences

Old 01-05-2012, 09:25 PM
Greg Woods

On Thu, 2012-01-05 at 16:55 -0500, Matthew Saltzman wrote:

> But it does seem a bit annoying to have restarting as a side effect of a
> stray 'r' in Console 2. I suppose if you want a console, using Console
> 3 would get around the issue.

I think you are confusing ALT-CTRL-F2 with ALT-F2. Not the same. ALT-F2
brings up a "run command" window, while ALT-CTRL-F2 switches to a TTY
console.

--Greg

Old 01-05-2012, 09:34 PM
Matthew Saltzman

On Thu, 2012-01-05 at 15:25 -0700, Greg Woods wrote:
> On Thu, 2012-01-05 at 16:55 -0500, Matthew Saltzman wrote:
>

> > But it does seem a bit annoying to have restarting as a side effect of a
> > stray 'r' in Console 2. I suppose if you want a console, using Console
> > 3 would get around the issue.
>

> I think you are confusing ALT-CTRL-F2 with ALT-F2. Not the same. ALT-F2
> brings up a "run command" window, while ALT-CTRL-F2 switches to a TTY
> console.

OIC. Never mind...