Old 01-05-2012, 10:40 AM
Tim

Default yum.conf file

Hi,

Do others have this yum.conf file on F16 (see attached), and know what
it refers to by the *useless* description of "this," as in the "This is
the default" comment?

[main]
cachedir=/var/cache/yum/$basearch/$releasever
keepcache=0
debuglevel=2
logfile=/var/log/yum.log
exactarch=1
obsoletes=1
gpgcheck=1
plugins=1
installonly_limit=3

# This is the default, if you make this bigger yum won't see if the metadata
# is newer on the remote and so you'll "gain" the bandwidth of not having to
# download the new metadata and "pay" for it by yum not having correct
# information.
# It is esp. important, to have correct metadata, for distributions like
# Fedora which don't keep old packages around. If you don't like this checking
# interupting your command line usage, it's much better to have something
# manually check the metadata once an hour (yum-updatesd will do this).
# metadata_expire=90m

# PUT YOUR REPOS HERE OR IN separate files named file.repo
# in /etc/yum.repos.d

Old 01-05-2012, 10:45 AM
Frank Murphy

Do others have this yum.conf file on F16 (see attached), and know what
it refers to by the *useless* description of "this," as in the "This is
the default" comment?

metadata_expire=90m

Metadata expiry, same as yum clean metadata
metadata_expire= in individual *.repo files takes precendence
iirc..

Frank Murphy
UTF_8 Encoded
Friend of fedoraproject.org

Old 01-05-2012, 10:46 AM
Reindl Harald

my god it refers to the "# metadata_expire=90m" as
usually comment blocks are before the setting they
describe

maybe you should read a comment-block from
start to end beofre calling things "useless"

Old 01-05-2012, 11:59 AM
Tim

On Thu, 2012-01-05 at 12:46 +0100, Reindl Harald wrote:
> my god it refers to the "# metadata_expire=90m" as
> usually comment blocks are before the setting they
> describe
>
> maybe you should read a comment-block from
> start to end beofre calling things "useless"

Well, actually, maybe file comment writers shouldn't write such utterly
crappily written comments, so that such things aren't readily noticed.

There's two paragraphs, the first one just says "this," with no
indication what the hell it's referring to. There's a whole list of
settings above it, and logically speaking "this" would refer to the last
one, from the point of view in writing in English. The bit you mention
is at the end of another paragraph. I had read the whole thing, and it
incoherently written. You read the whole thing I attached, again. It's
written VERY BADLY.

If they wanted the reader to understand what that comment was about,
they should have (a) written a coherent comment, and (b) put the default
option in the configuration file either above or below the comment, as
PART of the configuration file, not buried in the comment text, as per
the usual custom in commenting configuration files.

There's a long standing rule in documentation, that YOU DO NOT write
vague descriptions using words like "this" to describe what you're
talking about. You use the actual terms in the sentence.

Oh, and you can take "your god," and put it back in the box with all the
other mythical characters.

--
[tim@localhost ~]$ uname -r
3.1.5-6.fc16.x86_64

public lists.

Creativity is no substitute for knowing what you are doing.

Old 01-05-2012, 12:39 PM
Reindl Harald

Am 05.01.2012 13:59, schrieb Tim:
> On Thu, 2012-01-05 at 12:46 +0100, Reindl Harald wrote:
>> my god it refers to the "# metadata_expire=90m" as
>> usually comment blocks are before the setting they
>> describe
>>
>> maybe you should read a comment-block from
>> start to end beofre calling things "useless"
>
> Well, actually, maybe file comment writers shouldn't write such utterly
> crappily written comments, so that such things aren't readily noticed.
>
> There's two paragraphs

there is a free line before and after the whole comment-block
the first line contains "metadata" and the last is
"# metadata_expire=90m" - so there is the context of THIS

> There's a whole list of
> settings above it, and logically speaking "this" would refer to the last
> one, from the point of view in writing in English.

since when are comments in configuration files or source-codes BELOW?

> Oh, and you can take "your god," and put it back in the box with all the
> other mythical characters

calm down - you are the one who was too lazy to read and starting
with the phrase "useless" while others understand the file
so you can select:

* all others are wrong
* you are wrong

Old 01-05-2012, 12:53 PM
Michael Schwendt

On Thu, 05 Jan 2012 23:29:38 +1030, T (Tim) wrote:

> On Thu, 2012-01-05 at 12:46 +0100, Reindl Harald wrote:
> > my god it refers to the "# metadata_expire=90m" as
> > usually comment blocks are before the setting they
> > describe
> >
> > maybe you should read a comment-block from
> > start to end beofre calling things "useless"
>
> Well, actually, maybe file comment writers shouldn't write such utterly
> crappily written comments, so that such things aren't readily noticed.

:-/ Enough is enough. Please stop here! You cannot call the comment
"useless" and "utterly crappily written" and expect subscribers of this
list to not turn that against you. I also think you could have read the
two paragraphs more carefully.

Old 01-05-2012, 12:58 PM
Olav Vitters

On Thu, Jan 05, 2012 at 11:29:38PM +1030, Tim wrote:
> There's two paragraphs, the first one just says "this," with no
> indication what the hell it's referring to. There's a whole list of

File a bug and attach a patch. Pretty sure improvements are welcome.
Lots of the comments I write in source code are sometimes just plain
wrong, vague, etc. There will always be things to improve.

Olav