-   -   Moving to Forums (was Software Package..? (http://www.linux-archive.org/fedora-user/617231-moving-forums-software-package.html)

Joel Rees 01-04-2012 11:09 PM

On Wed, Jan 4, 2012 at 8:27 PM, Alan Cox <alan@lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk> wrote:
> On Wed, 4 Jan 2012 10:51:05 +0000
> Richard Hughes <hughsient@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On 3 January 2012 23:05, Linda McLeod <lindavaldeen@fastmail.fm> wrote:

(Would have elided that, but is there a real .fm TLD?)

>> > users mailing list
>> > users@lists.fedoraproject.org
>>
>> Either the moderators ban this user, or I'm unsubscribing. The
>> signal-to-noise ratio is just too low at the moment and it's wasting
>> my time.
>
> Most people already left for fedora forum and the like. The list is
> basically not managed so its useless. If you want to fix that you need
> to take it up with the fedora board I believe.

The reason I'm not using the forums is that they are clumsy and full
of people who don't seem to be able to use man.

I like them for the not having to delete stuff from my mail box, and
for reducing the overall burden on the web, but the signal-to-noise
ratio there is not what I would call low.

Don't have time to write a full analysis here, but this touches on
something I posted a riff on yesterday:

Anyway, as several have noted already, the "mass migration" to the
forums is not what it would seem, for several reasons.

--
Joel Rees

Tim 01-05-2012 11:27 AM

On Thu, 2012-01-05 at 09:09 +0900, Joel Rees wrote:
> is there a real .fm TLD?

The answer is yes, but type this whois command (see below) into a
command line, likewise for any domain or top-level-domain, to find the
answer to such questions:

whois fm

--
[tim@localhost ~]$ uname -r
3.1.5-6.fc16.x86_64

trying to privately email me, I only read messages posted to the public
lists.