Old 01-04-2012, 08:32 PM
Matthew Saltzman

Default Another Fedora 16 + Gnome 3.2 question!?

On Wed, 2012-01-04 at 22:10 +0100, Olav Vitters wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 04, 2012 at 04:04:16PM -0500, William Case wrote:
> > How do I get rid of the Universal Access icon in the upper right hand
> > corner/panel? Googled but seems every distribution has a different
> > answer. How do I get rid of it in Fedora 16, preferably using the
> > icon-manage extension in dconf-editor if there is such away. Nothing I
> > have tried seems to work. Everything found on the internet is either
> > out of date or doesn't work.
>
> There is an extension for that on https://extensions.gnome.org/. Just go
> there with Firefox.

In F15, this is gnome-shell-extension-remove-accessibility-icon.noarch.

--
Matthew Saltzman
Clemson University Mathematical Sciences

Old 01-04-2012, 09:01 PM
Steve Searle

Around 09:16pm on Wednesday, January 04, 2012 (UK time), Robert Moskowitz scrawled:

> On 01/04/2012 04:04 PM, William Case wrote:
> >How do I get rid of the Universal Access icon in the upper right hand
> >corner/panel? Googled but seems every distribution has a different
> >answer. How do I get rid of it in Fedora 16, preferably using the
> >icon-manage extension in dconf-editor if there is such away. Nothing I
> >have tried seems to work. Everything found on the internet is either
> >out of date or doesn't work.
>
> And I disabled the universal access in the settings and it is STILL there.

Assuming you mean the accessibility icon. This is how I do it.

Edit /usr/share/gnome-shell/js/ui/panel.js and comment out the 'a11y':
imports.ui.status.accessibility.ATIndicator line.

// 'a11y': imports.ui.status.accessibility.ATIndicator,

Steve

--

Website: www.stevesearle.com
Twitter: @ReddishShift

21:59:49 up 5 days, 9:06, 1 user, load average: 0.06, 0.01, 0.00

Old 01-04-2012, 10:23 PM
Robert Moskowitz

Around 09:16pm on Wednesday, January 04, 2012 (UK time), Robert Moskowitz scrawled:

How do I get rid of the Universal Access icon in the upper right hand
corner/panel? Googled but seems every distribution has a different
answer. How do I get rid of it in Fedora 16, preferably using the
icon-manage extension in dconf-editor if there is such away. Nothing I
have tried seems to work. Everything found on the internet is either
out of date or doesn't work.

And I disabled the universal access in the settings and it is STILL there.

Assuming you mean the accessibility icon. This is how I do it.

Edit /usr/share/gnome-shell/js/ui/panel.js and comment out the 'a11y':
imports.ui.status.accessibility.ATIndicator line.

// 'a11y': imports.ui.status.accessibility.ATIndicator,

This line appears twice, so I commented them both out. We will see what
happens on the next reboot...

Old 01-04-2012, 10:29 PM
Olav Vitters

On Wed, Jan 04, 2012 at 06:23:30PM -0500, Robert Moskowitz wrote:
> This line appears twice, so I commented them both out. We will see
> what happens on the next reboot...

tip: alt+f2, type "r", enter, wait a bit

Olav

Old 01-04-2012, 11:18 PM
Joe Zeff

Assuming you mean the accessibility icon. This is how I do it.

Edit /usr/share/gnome-shell/js/ui/panel.js and comment out the 'a11y':
imports.ui.status.accessibility.ATIndicator line.

This is one of the things I like about Linux: there's almost always more
than one way to get anything done.

Old 01-05-2012, 03:52 AM
Robert Moskowitz

This line appears twice, so I commented them both out. We will see
what happens on the next reboot...

tip: alt+f2, type "r", enter, wait a bit

And what, pray tell, does 'r' do?

Old 01-05-2012, 07:34 AM
Olav Vitters

On Wed, Jan 04, 2012 at 11:52:44PM -0500, Robert Moskowitz wrote:
> On 01/04/2012 06:29 PM, Olav Vitters wrote:
> >On Wed, Jan 04, 2012 at 06:23:30PM -0500, Robert Moskowitz wrote:
> >>This line appears twice, so I commented them both out. We will see
> >>what happens on the next reboot...
> >tip: alt+f2, type "r", enter, wait a bit
> >

> And what, pray tell, does 'r' do?

restart gnome-shell (keeps existing applications; state is not perfectly
preserved). Quicker than rebooting the entire machine just to see the
changes you made to gnome-shell.

Olav

Old 01-05-2012, 10:12 AM
Robert Moskowitz

This line appears twice, so I commented them both out. We will see
what happens on the next reboot...

tip: alt+f2, type "r", enter, wait a bit

And what, pray tell, does 'r' do?

restart gnome-shell (keeps existing applications; state is not perfectly
preserved). Quicker than rebooting the entire machine just to see the
changes you made to gnome-shell.

OK. That seems to have worked. That assistant icon is gone.

Also the time is back to AM/PM...

Old 01-05-2012, 02:16 PM
Alan Evans

On Thu, Jan 5, 2012 at 12:34 AM, Olav Vitters wrote:

>> And what, pray tell, does 'r' do?
>
> restart gnome-shell (keeps existing applications; state is not perfectly
> preserved). Quicker than rebooting the entire machine just to see the
> changes you made to gnome-shell.

A *one* *letter* command to restart the shell?!? That seems like a
horrible mis-feature, like something I might key in accidentally.

Did developers really think that restarting GNOME-shell would be so
common that it justified a single char shortcut?

-Alan

Old 01-05-2012, 02:17 PM
William Case

Thanks Olav;

On Wed, 2012-01-04 at 22:10 +0100, Olav Vitters wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 04, 2012 at 04:04:16PM -0500, William Case wrote:
> > How do I get rid of the Universal Access icon in the upper right hand
> > corner/panel? Googled but seems every distribution has a different
> > answer. How do I get rid of it in Fedora 16, preferably using the
> > icon-manage extension in dconf-editor if there is such away. Nothing I
> > have tried seems to work. Everything found on the internet is either
> > out of date or doesn't work.
>
> There is an extension for that on https://extensions.gnome.org/. Just go
> there with Firefox.

The best advice so far was the URL for this extensions site.

Now, how do you download and install a new extension from here?
Anything I have read is out of the dark ages involving torture and
incantations with 'git' and 'make'. There has to be a more modern and
sophisticated way.
--
Regards Bill