Old 03-29-2008, 02:32 PM
Jonathan Roberts

Default Brother Wireless Printer

Hi all,

Does anybody know how I can set up my Brother wireless printer to work
with Fedora 8?

I've given it a static IP address on the network, and the model of the
printer is a DCP-3400W.

Thanks in advance,

Jon

Old 03-29-2008, 02:50 PM
"Patrick O'Callaghan"

Please don't hijack existing threads. Start your own.

poc

PS "Hijacking" means replying to a message and changing the subject to
something unrelated to the original one. This screws up threading in
many mail clients and is widely regarded as a breach of netiquette.

Old 03-29-2008, 03:03 PM
Jonathan Roberts

(Re-sent, as a new thread, and my apologies for hijacking - it's not
something I've come across before, but I'll be sure not to do it in the
future)

------------------

Old 03-29-2008, 04:10 PM
Matthew Saltzman

On Sat, 2008-03-29 at 15:32 +0000, Jonathan Roberts wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Does anybody know how I can set up my Brother wireless printer to work
> with Fedora 8?
>
> I've given it a static IP address on the network, and the model of the
> printer is a DCP-3400W.
>
> Thanks in advance,

I don't have one of these, but I just configured a different Brother
printer.

Open system-config-printer (System -> Administration -> Printing) and
define a new printer. Select IPP or LPD/LPR as the connection type.
Enter the printer's IP address as the hostname and leave the printer
name blank.

It doesn't look like this printer is in the printer database, so you'll
need to grab the PPD file off the printer's driver disk. On the next
screen, you can select "provide PPD file". Select the file in the
browser.

If you can't find a PPD, you may have to just try different printer
models until you find one that works. Your printer manual or spec sheet
should tell you if it can handle PostScript (Brother's PS interpreter is
BR-script) or PCL and what version. Try the generic printers in that
case.

The rest should be straightforward.

--
Matthew Saltzman

Clemson University Math Sciences
mjs AT clemson DOT edu
http://www.math.clemson.edu/~mjs

Old 03-30-2008, 04:37 AM
"R. G. Newbury"

On Sat, 2008-03-29 at 15:32 +0000, Jonathan Roberts wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > Does anybody know how I can set up my Brother wireless printer to work
> > with Fedora 8?
> >
> > I've given it a static IP address on the network, and the model of the
> > printer is a DCP-3400W.

I am using a Brother MFC665CW wirelessly at home and it is a nice
machine. The setup involves at least TWO drivers.

Start here: http://solutions.brother.com/linux/en_us/index.html

You will first install the lpr driver for your model, then the CUPS
wrapper, (and you can, if you want, and the machine supports it, add a
SANE driver for scanning, and a PC-FAX driver, for using the machine as
a PC-fax machine.

In your case, presuming that you actually have the DCP-340CW, (not
DCP-3400W) you will be looking for the MFC-210C drivers as a substitute.
On each driver page, there are dense lists of models with a link to
the driver page. Rather hard to read.

You need to have lpr running on your computer, first of all. Since this
is part of the printing group package, it should already be installed.

Then select, download and install (in your case) the MFC-210C lpr
driver/rpm (the DCP-340CW uses this driver).
Click on the LPR link and then find the MFC-210C download link, then
select .,...well, you've done that before I'm sure...

Install the rpm which you find in the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow.

Then, Back up 2 or 3 pages and select the CUPS wrapper driver link, in
the same way, and follow it down the garden path, again...

Install the rpm..

NOW, you can open your KDE oe Gnome menu and select 'Administration ->
Printing' and 'New Printer'. You do really need a static address (as you
have done) to make this work, as the printer is defined by a URL of the
form: lpd://192.168.100.99/binary_p1. Call it want you want, and
select the correct printer when asked.

Note that you will likely have to set up the printer AT THE PRINTER END,
for the static IP address you have selected. Although it is supposed to
be possible to do it with DHCP, I have never been able to make that
work..as the IP always moves as things are powered up and down..

HTH
Geoff

Old 03-30-2008, 05:01 AM
"G.Wolfe Woodbury"

Old 04-01-2008, 04:35 AM
"R. G. Newbury"

>> Note that you will likely have to set up the printer AT THE PRINTER END,
>> for the static IP address you have selected. Although it is supposed to
>> be possible to do it with DHCP, I have never been able to make that
>> work..as the IP always moves as things are powered up and down..

>You /can/ set up DHCP servers to always assign the same address based
>on the MAC (ethernet) address of the device. I use a CENTOS
>installation on an old Dell box to handle the DHCP duties on my home
>network and have the main machines always get the same IP so that I
>don't have to manually configure the IPs all the time.

>Note in configuring "static DHCP" your "static" machines should be
>defined in a different range than your dynamic IPs. For the "standard"
>Fedora dhcp daemon, this is a set of extra stanzas in hte config file.

Of course, but this depends upon the programmability of the DHCP server.
Lots of home routers cannot reserve IP addresses. My Netgear router can
do this, but my Linksys ones cannot, even with the DD-WRT code....