Old 01-04-2012, 02:28 PM
Ian Chapman

Default F16 autofs + wireless

Hi,

A bit of background first I have a netbook which connects to my LAN
via a Wifi connection and I've configured autofs to pull it's maps from
an LDAP directory. The network connection is working exactly as expected
and receives a reserved IP address assigned by DHCP. The network
connection is handled by NetworkManager and is configured as the default
connection, to connect automatically and importantly an IPv4 address is
required in order for the connection to be considered "successful".
Autofs also works as expected if I manually (re)start the service, it
pulls it maps and I can mount NFS exports.

Autofs is configured to start on boot. The problem is at the point when
it starts on boot it does not work because the netbook has not been
assigned an IP address yet, (although the wifi interface is up).

eth1 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 90:A4E:49:42:31
inet6 addr: fe80::92a4:deff:fe49:39ca/64 Scope:Link
collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
RX bytes:0 (0.0 b) TX bytes:0 (0.0 b)
Interrupt:16

(Yes eth1 is the Wifi interface)

The autofs init script seems to require the network to be working before
it starts, ie:

# Required-Start: $network $ypbind

and in order for the network connection to be successful it needs an
IPv4 address. So my question is, why does autofs get started before an
IPv4 address has been made available? Is there a reasonable way to fix this?

--
Ian Chapman.

Old 01-04-2012, 03:18 PM
John Austin

On Wed, 2012-01-04 at 23:28 +0800, Ian Chapman wrote:
> Hi,
>
> A bit of background first I have a netbook which connects to my LAN
> via a Wifi connection and I've configured autofs to pull it's maps from
> an LDAP directory. The network connection is working exactly as expected
> and receives a reserved IP address assigned by DHCP. The network
> connection is handled by NetworkManager and is configured as the default
> connection, to connect automatically and importantly an IPv4 address is
> required in order for the connection to be considered "successful".
> Autofs also works as expected if I manually (re)start the service, it
> pulls it maps and I can mount NFS exports.
>
> Autofs is configured to start on boot. The problem is at the point when
> it starts on boot it does not work because the netbook has not been
> assigned an IP address yet, (although the wifi interface is up).
>
> eth1 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 90:A4E:49:42:31
> inet6 addr: fe80::92a4:deff:fe49:39ca/64 Scope:Link
> UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
> collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
> RX bytes:0 (0.0 b) TX bytes:0 (0.0 b)
> Interrupt:16
>
> (Yes eth1 is the Wifi interface)
>

> The autofs init script seems to require the network to be working before
> it starts, ie:
>
> # Required-Start: $network $ypbind
>
> and in order for the network connection to be successful it needs an
> IPv4 address. So my question is, why does autofs get started before an
> IPv4 address has been made available? Is there a reasonable way to fix this?
>

> --
> Ian Chapman.

Does this help ?
Used it for hardwired but not wireless

systemctl enable NetworkManager-wait-online.service

Also used these

Brilliant tools for analysing/reducing boot times !!!! Present in
standard install
http://0pointer.de/blog/projects/blame-game.html
systemd-analyze blame and systemd-analyze plot > plot.svg; eog
plot.svg

John

Old 01-04-2012, 04:41 PM
Ian Chapman

and in order for the network connection to be successful it needs an
IPv4 address. So my question is, why does autofs get started before an
IPv4 address has been made available? Is there a reasonable way to fix this?

Does this help ?
Used it for hardwired but not wireless

systemctl enable NetworkManager-wait-online.service

Perfect! I had to increase the default waiting time from 30 seconds to
about 60 seconds but it did the trick. Thanks :-)

Also used these

Brilliant tools for analysing/reducing boot times !!!! Present in
standard install
http://0pointer.de/blog/projects/blame-game.html
systemd-analyze blame and systemd-analyze plot> plot.svg; eog
plot.svg

They are handy tools. When I was first getting used to systemd and
generated those huge graphs, I thought that was a pretty neat feature.

--
Ian Chapman.