Old 01-04-2012, 12:18 PM
Sam Varshavchik

Default Anyone tried installing Fedora on the EEE 900

I've got an old Asus EEE PC 900 model, with the original, ancient Ubuntu on
it, whose fate I'm pondering. Has anyone tried installing Fedora on its 4GB
SSD drive. That should be big enough to accomodate the live image, I'd
think, the only unknown factor is whether the stock Fedora kernel will know
what to do with the funky SSD drive in that thing.

Old 01-04-2012, 01:32 PM
Richard Shaw

On Wed, Jan 4, 2012 at 7:18 AM, Sam Varshavchik <mrsam@courier-mta.com> wrote:
> I've got an old Asus EEE PC 900 model, with the original, ancient Ubuntu on
> it, whose fate I'm pondering. Has anyone tried installing Fedora on its 4GB
> SSD drive. That should be big enough to accomodate the live image, I'd
> think, the only unknown factor is whether the stock Fedora kernel will know
> what to do with the funky SSD drive in that thing.

I had up to Fedora 15 installed on my old EEEPC 701. I booted a live
distro to create all my partitions manually and had to work around the
swap requirement (I think I used a USB stick which I later removed and
also removed the entry from fstab.)

I would think it would run fine, but not sure about the functionality
of any special buttons.

Richard

Old 01-04-2012, 02:33 PM

Hi,

I have one of those and Installed many Fedora reseases. Currently it's running F14 with compiz enabled (!)

[]s, Fernando Lozano

Old 01-04-2012, 02:44 PM
Alan Evans

On Wed, Jan 4, 2012 at 5:18 AM, Sam Varshavchik wrote:
> the only unknown factor is whether the stock Fedora kernel will know
> what to do with the funky SSD drive in that thing.

I doubt that will be a problem. I had stock F14 on my 900A. Although I
preferred some of the other, lighter, spins; they all use the same
kernel.

The real problem is that 4GB is too tight to get much done that's
worth doing. For awhile I used the SD card slot for my data storage,
essentially storing all my work files on the card. Eventually, I got
tired of that and purchased a 64GB SSD to replace the 4GB. Much nicer
now. (Although the SSD cost almost as much as the netbook.)

-Alan

Old 01-04-2012, 03:38 PM
fred smith

On Wed, Jan 04, 2012 at 01:33:15PM -0200, fernando@lozano.eti.br wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have one of those and Installed many Fedora reseases. Currently it's running F14 with compiz enabled (!)

I've installed Fedora 10, 11, 12, 13, and 14 on my eeepc 901. Mine has
a 4 gig SSD and a (slower) 16 gig SSD.

Using the live cd I've put / and /boot on the 4 gig and everything else
on the 16 gig. It's tight, and there's not a lot of room to install
massive packages. e.g., I've not put on the open office/libre office
stuff, nor development tools.

the other way is to let fedora configure the entire thing as one big LVM then
partition that into /boot, /, and /home.

Old 01-04-2012, 03:47 PM
Jim

I've got an old Asus EEE PC 900 model, with the
original, ancient Ubuntu on it, whose fate I'm pondering. Has
anyone tried installing Fedora on its 4GB SSD drive. That should
be big enough to accomodate the live image, I'd think, the only
unknown factor is whether the stock Fedora kernel will know what
to do with the funky SSD drive in that thing.

I think with 4gb* your pushing it when getting into preupgrading or
updating , where extra space is required.

I have a 8gb 900 that I had Fedora on it and I still ran into
problems of not having enough extra space. I still had Fedora
running and reconized all the hardware with drivers.

I also have a EE1000 and I upgraded the 32gb SSD to 64gb Renice SSD,
and I put the old 32gb SSD into my EE900 and then installed Fedora
15 on it.

Old 01-04-2012, 03:50 PM
Richard Shaw

On Wed, Jan 4, 2012 at 10:47 AM, Jim <binarynut@comcast.net> wrote:
> I think with 4gb* your pushing it when getting into preupgrading or updating
> , where extra space is required.
>
> I have a 8gb 900 that I had Fedora on it and I still ran into problems of
> not having enough extra space. I still had Fedora running and reconized all
> the hardware with drivers.
>
> I also have a EE1000 and I upgraded the 32gb SSD to 64gb Renice SSD, and I
> put the old 32gb SSD into my EE900 and then installed Fedora 15 on it.

I'm a little (lot?) more masochistic. I had 701 4G with a 4G SD card.
I created a minimal boot (on the SD card since it was slightly larger)
and then the biggest LVM striped volume I could with the remaining
space and formatted it BTRFS. Of course this was before I knew enough
about BTRFS to know I didn't need LVM

Richard

Old 01-04-2012, 06:07 PM
Sam Varshavchik

Jim writes:

I think with 4gb* your pushing it when getting into preupgrading or
updating , where extra space is required.

I have a 8gb 900 that I had Fedora on it and I still ran into problems of not
having enough extra space. I still had Fedora running and reconized all the
hardware with drivers.

I have no intentions or doing any development, or any serious work on that
machine. Just a live install, and using it for nothing more than browsing
and reading email.