Linux Archive

Linux Archive (http://www.linux-archive.org/)
-   Fedora User (http://www.linux-archive.org/fedora-user/)
-   -   dumb question (http://www.linux-archive.org/fedora-user/616834-dumb-question.html)

Paul Allen Newell 01-04-2012 06:19 AM

dumb question
 
To the list:

I am dealing with a primary Fedora machine and a alternate WinXP under
cygwin. Cygwin always screw up the permissions when I drag stuff over to
it and then bring it back to the Fedora box. I've got scripts to handle
making things right again.


But I did have a question which I didn't find out from Googling (as I
suspect I didn't know how to phrase it). On a Fedora/Linux box, do
Makefile/makefile (s) have to be set to +x? Or can they be just "rw-r--r--"?


Thanks in advance,
Paul
--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
Have a question? Ask away: http://ask.fedoraproject.org

Marvin Kosmal 01-04-2012 06:22 AM

dumb question
 
On Tue, Jan 3, 2012 at 11:19 PM, Paul Allen Newell <pnewell@cs.cmu.edu> wrote:

To the list:



I am dealing with a primary Fedora machine and a alternate WinXP under cygwin. Cygwin always screw up the permissions when I drag stuff over to it and then bring it back to the Fedora box. I've got scripts to handle making things right again.




But I did have a question which I didn't find out from Googling (as I suspect I didn't know how to phrase it). On a Fedora/Linux box, do Makefile/makefile (s) have to be set to +x? Or can they be just "rw-r--r--"?




Thanks in advance,

Paul

--




Paul

To execute/run* a file it must be set to x

as in

rwxr--r--
or

rwxrwxr--


HTH

Marvin


--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
Have a question? Ask away: http://ask.fedoraproject.org

Paul Allen Newell 01-04-2012 06:25 AM

dumb question
 
On 1/3/2012 11:22 PM, Marvin Kosmal wrote:


Paul

To execute/run a file it must be set to x

as in

rwxr--r--
or

rwxrwxr--


HTH

Marvin



Marvin:

Thanks for the prompt reply. If I read this correctly, any and all of my
{M,m}akefile must be executable (as in "+x")?



Paul

--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
Have a question? Ask away: http://ask.fedoraproject.org

Ed Greshko 01-04-2012 06:28 AM

dumb question
 
On 01/04/2012 03:19 PM, Paul Allen Newell wrote:
> To the list:
>
> I am dealing with a primary Fedora machine and a alternate WinXP under
> cygwin. Cygwin always screw up the permissions when I drag stuff over
> to it and then bring it back to the Fedora box. I've got scripts to
> handle making things right again.
>
> But I did have a question which I didn't find out from Googling (as I
> suspect I didn't know how to phrase it). On a Fedora/Linux box, do
> Makefile/makefile (s) have to be set to +x? Or can they be just
> "rw-r--r--"?
>
>

Makefile need not be executable....as they are just input to make....

egreshko@misty transcode-1.0.2]$ pwd
/home/egreshko/src/transcode-1.0.2

[egreshko@misty transcode-1.0.2]$ ll Makefile
-rw-rw-r-- 1 egreshko egreshko 25515 Nov 27 2005 Makefile

[egreshko@misty transcode-1.0.2]$ make | more
make all-recursive
make[1]: Entering directory `/home/egreshko/src/transcode-1.0.2'
Making all in libtc
make[2]: Entering directory `/home/egreshko/src/transcode-1.0.2/libtc'
if /bin/sh ../libtool --mode=compile gcc -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I. -I..
-D_REENTRAN
T -Wall -D_LARGEFILE_SOURCE -D_LARGEFILE64_SOURCE
-D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -g -O2
-MT tc_functions.lo -MD -MP -MF ".deps/tc_functions.Tpo" -c -o
tc_functions.lo tc_
functions.c;
then mv -f ".deps/tc_functions.Tpo" ".deps/tc_functions.Plo"; else rm -f
".deps/tc
_functions.Tpo"; exit 1; fi
mkdir .libs


etc....



--
A common mistake that people make when trying to design something
completely foolproof was to underestimate the ingenuity of complete
fools. -- Douglas Adams in "Mostly Harmless
--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
Have a question? Ask away: http://ask.fedoraproject.org

Paul Allen Newell 01-04-2012 06:36 AM

dumb question
 
On 1/3/2012 11:28 PM, Ed Greshko wrote:

Makefile need not be executable....as they are just input to make....


Ed:

Thanks for prompt reply. By this I am assuming that a Makefile/makefile
and its contents are not deemed a mandatory executable as opposed to a
*.sh? I am unclear as to what is happening under the hood as I thought
anything that "executes" needs to be "+x"?


Paul


--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
Have a question? Ask away: http://ask.fedoraproject.org

Marvin Kosmal 01-04-2012 06:42 AM

dumb question
 
On Tue, Jan 3, 2012 at 11:28 PM, Ed Greshko <Ed.Greshko@greshko.com> wrote:

On 01/04/2012 03:19 PM, Paul Allen Newell wrote:

> To the list:

>

> I am dealing with a primary Fedora machine and a alternate WinXP under

> cygwin. Cygwin always screw up the permissions when I drag stuff over

> to it and then bring it back to the Fedora box. I've got scripts to

> handle making things right again.

>

> But I did have a question which I didn't find out from Googling (as I

> suspect I didn't know how to phrase it). On a Fedora/Linux box, do

> Makefile/makefile (s) have to be set to +x? Or can they be just

> "rw-r--r--"?

>

>



Makefile need not be executable....as they are just input to make....



egreshko@misty transcode-1.0.2]$ pwd

/home/egreshko/src/transcode-1.0.2



[egreshko@misty transcode-1.0.2]$ ll Makefile

-rw-rw-r-- *1 egreshko egreshko 25515 Nov 27 *2005 Makefile



[egreshko@misty transcode-1.0.2]$ make | more

make *all-recursive

make[1]: Entering directory `/home/egreshko/src/transcode-1.0.2'

Making all in libtc

make[2]: Entering directory `/home/egreshko/src/transcode-1.0.2/libtc'

if /bin/sh ../libtool --mode=compile gcc -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I. -I..

-D_REENTRAN

T * -Wall -D_LARGEFILE_SOURCE -D_LARGEFILE64_SOURCE

-D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -g -O2

-MT tc_functions.lo -MD -MP -MF ".deps/tc_functions.Tpo" -c -o

tc_functions.lo tc_

functions.c;

then mv -f ".deps/tc_functions.Tpo" ".deps/tc_functions.Plo"; else rm -f

".deps/tc

_functions.Tpo"; exit 1; fi

mkdir .libs





etc....









HI

Sorry..

My bad...

The make is +x..

Marivn


--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
Have a question? Ask away: http://ask.fedoraproject.org

Ed Greshko 01-04-2012 06:43 AM

dumb question
 
On 01/04/2012 03:36 PM, Paul Allen Newell wrote:
> Thanks for prompt reply. By this I am assuming that a
> Makefile/makefile and its contents are not deemed a mandatory
> executable as opposed to a *.sh? I am unclear as to what is happening
> under the hood as I thought anything that "executes" needs to be "+x"?

Makefile doesn't execute.... the "make" command executes. As I
mentioned, Makefile is just input to make (a.k.a. /usr/bin/make).

I don't know what you mean by *.sh since the concept of extensions
doesn't exist under Linux. But you may also be interested to know that
"shell" scripts (or files containing shell scripts) need not be executable.

[egreshko@meimei bin]$ ll killfox
-rwxrwxr-x. 1 egreshko egreshko 63 May 25 2011 killfox
[egreshko@meimei bin]$ ./killfox
firefox-bin: no process found
plugin-container: no process found

But also....

[egreshko@meimei bin]$ chmod -x killfox
[egreshko@meimei bin]$ ll killfox
-rw-rw-r--. 1 egreshko egreshko 63 May 25 2011 killfox
[egreshko@meimei bin]$ sh ./killfox
firefox-bin: no process found
plugin-container: no process found


--
A common mistake that people make when trying to design something
completely foolproof was to underestimate the ingenuity of complete
fools. -- Douglas Adams in "Mostly Harmless
--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
Have a question? Ask away: http://ask.fedoraproject.org

Marvin Kosmal 01-04-2012 06:51 AM

dumb question
 
On Tue, Jan 3, 2012 at 11:43 PM, Ed Greshko <Ed.Greshko@greshko.com> wrote:

On 01/04/2012 03:36 PM, Paul Allen Newell wrote:

> Thanks for prompt reply. By this I am assuming that a

> Makefile/makefile and its contents are not deemed a mandatory

> executable as opposed to a *.sh? I am unclear as to what is happening

> under the hood as I thought anything that "executes" needs to be "+x"?



Makefile doesn't execute.... *the "make" command executes. *As I

mentioned, Makefile is just input to make (a.k.a. /usr/bin/make).



I don't know what you mean by *.sh since the concept of extensions

doesn't exist under Linux. *But you may also be interested to know that

"shell" scripts (or files containing shell scripts) need not be executable.



[egreshko@meimei bin]$ ll killfox

-rwxrwxr-x. 1 egreshko egreshko 63 May 25 *2011 killfox

[egreshko@meimei bin]$ ./killfox

firefox-bin: no process found

plugin-container: no process found



But also....



[egreshko@meimei bin]$ chmod -x killfox

[egreshko@meimei bin]$ ll killfox

-rw-rw-r--. 1 egreshko egreshko 63 May 25 *2011 killfox

[egreshko@meimei bin]$ sh ./killfox

firefox-bin: no process found

plugin-container: no process found








HI

What is in killfox??


Marvin


--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
Have a question? Ask away: http://ask.fedoraproject.org

Ed Greshko 01-04-2012 06:53 AM

dumb question
 
On 01/04/2012 03:51 PM, Marvin Kosmal wrote:
> What is in killfox??

A shell script to kill firefox when it used to give me problems a while
back. All it contains is....

killall -6 firefox-bin
killall -6 plugin-container

but it saved me typing.

--
A common mistake that people make when trying to design something
completely foolproof was to underestimate the ingenuity of complete
fools. -- Douglas Adams in "Mostly Harmless
--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
Have a question? Ask away: http://ask.fedoraproject.org

Paul Allen Newell 01-04-2012 06:59 AM

dumb question
 
On 1/3/2012 11:42 PM, Marvin Kosmal wrote:





HI

Sorry..

My bad...

The make is +x..

Marivn



Marvin and Ed:

Though I really appreciate both of your replies, I am looking at them
and seeing that Marvin is saying it needs to be "+x" and Ed is saying it
doesn't. I ran a test and "-x" seems to work.


For questions on my syntax of "*.sh", I have believed since my earliest
days that a shell file (be it ".sh", ".csh", ".tcsh", or ".bash") that
it has to be "+x" as it is an executable. If I am incorrect, I would
love to know, though it may take me a day or two to adjust to the news
that the earth shifted polarity (smile)


Thanks,
Paul

--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
Have a question? Ask away: http://ask.fedoraproject.org


All times are GMT. The time now is 12:15 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.