Old 01-05-2012, 11:44 AM
Patrick O'Callaghan

Default dumb question

On Wed, 2012-01-04 at 16:59 -0800, Paul Allen Newell wrote:
> Somehow I just never hit the need for using the shell above and beyond
> quick whack to get me through something that couldn't be done with a
> programming language. Its one of those things that I would regret not
> having picked up ... except the amount of need I have for it is far
> less
> than the need for the things I did pick up.

You might be surprised. For some of us, the first question is "how can I
do this with the Shell?" Only if the answer is "you can't", or "it would
be too slow", do we resort to programming. The whole Unix toolkit
philosophy is based on this, or at least used to be. That's why it was
so successful in the beginning.

poc

Old 01-05-2012, 03:14 PM
Paul Allen Newell

You might be surprised. For some of us, the first question is "how can I
do this with the Shell?" Only if the answer is "you can't", or "it would
be too slow", do we resort to programming. The whole Unix toolkit
philosophy is based on this, or at least used to be. That's why it was
so successful in the beginning.

poc

I've heard this many times and believe it to be a good adage. I might
have taken a similar approach in hindsight if my first encounter had
been a world where there was a mature Shell to work with.

Thanks,
Paul