Old 01-04-2012, 02:22 PM
Neal Becker

Default Neal Becker Software Package..?

g wrote:

> On 01/04/2012 10:51 AM, Richard Hughes wrote:
>> On 3 January 2012 23:05, Linda McLeod <lindavaldeen@fastmail.fm> wrote:
>>> users mailing list
>>> users@lists.fedoraproject.org
>>
>> Either the moderators ban this user, or I'm unsubscribing. The
>> signal-to-noise ratio is just too low at the moment and it's wasting
>> my time.
> -=-
>
> Richard,
>
> if poster squashes your melons so much, why do you not set up 'troll'
> filter? filter on 'From:' and 'Body:' for troll's name. then all you
> would have to contend with is repliers who do not leave op's name in
> body and you have to add 'Subject:' to filter.
>
> if you used an offline email client, it would be even easier as you
> could thread and mark troll's emails as read and give them a special
> tag color and you would know to leave that thread alone.
>
> granted moderating would be nice, but such does require someone
> having to spend time doing what you could do for yourself.
>
> personally, i find a some of Linda's post to be amusing and i enjoy
> a little 'sidetrack' from time to time. granted she/he/it does go a
> little overboard sometimes, bwtf, that is all a part of it.

You know, I would have taken the same view if it wasn't that this had been
directed personally at me. Funny how that changes things. I wouldn't be very
happy if I just blocked it from my own client but still found this crap
broadcast all over.

Old 01-04-2012, 02:38 PM
JB

Olav Vitters <olav <at> vitters.nl> writes:

> On Wed, Jan 04, 2012 at 11:27:11AM +0000, Alan Cox wrote:
> > Most people already left for fedora forum and the like. The list is
> > basically not managed so its useless. If you want to fix that you need
> > to take it up with the fedora board I believe.
>
> FWIW, I'm willing to moderate (after effect, doesn't have to be done
> before the post arrives to the mailing list). I do so already for GNOME.
>
> Anyone know whom in Fedora decides this / hands out / approves listadmin
> permissions? In GNOME I just do because I am able (sysadmin).

Olav,
with all due respect ...

Because you are GNOME list moderator, does not qualify you to be one for this
list.
As a matter of fact, you should distance yourself from GNOME after all that
DE garbage they delivered to Fedora users, all over the world.

So, thank you, but NO thank you !

JB

Old 01-04-2012, 02:38 PM
Dennis Kaptain

>> Either the moderators ban this user, or I'm unsubscribing. The
>> signal-to-noise ratio is just too low at the moment and it's wasting
>> my time.
>
>Most people already left for fedora forum and the like. The list is
>basically not managed so its useless. If you want to fix that you need
>to take it up with the fedora board I believe.
>
>Alan
>--

Alan,

Things are not as bleak as you seem to think. I am a regular reader and occasional contributor to this list and have been for years.* True, from time to time we attract some world class trolls. But I have learned more about Linux, Fedora, and computers in general from this list than any other single source. I've seen people ask questions, some very technical ones, on a very wide variety of Linux/Fedora topics and get good answers within minutes.

This list is far from useless. It's a fantastic resource and I want to thank everyone here for all the help they have given me either directly to my questions or indirectly through helping someone else.

Dennis

Old 01-04-2012, 02:42 PM

On 01/04/2012 03:22 PM, Neal Becker wrote:
<>

> You know, I would have taken the same view if it wasn't that this had been
> directed personally at me. Funny how that changes things. I wouldn't be
> very happy if I just blocked it from my own client but still found this
> crap broadcast all over.
-=-

understandable.

but do consider if you had filters set up, you would never have known.
what you do not know can not hurt you. 8-D

what's more, consider source. especially if you have bashed him/her/it.

it is really relevant to one simple question;

are you black and blue, or, cut up and bleeding?

--

peace out.

tc.hago,

.

*please reply "plain text" only. "html text" are deleted*

****
**
**
**
So I installed Linux.
**
learn linux:
'HowtoForge' http://howtoforge.com/
****

Old 01-04-2012, 02:50 PM
Ed Greshko

On 01/04/2012 09:18 PM, Paul W. Frields wrote:
> about this user, who's now being moderated.

Bummer.....

I never paid any attention to what Linda had to say. It was *way* more
fun reading reactions to her posts. :-)

fools. -- Douglas Adams in "Mostly Harmless

Old 01-04-2012, 02:54 PM
Christina Salls

On Wed, Jan 4, 2012 at 10:38 AM, Dennis Kaptain <dkaptain@yahoo.com.mx> wrote:

>> Either the moderators ban this user, or I'm unsubscribing. The

>> signal-to-noise ratio is just too low at the moment and it's wasting

>> my time.

>Most people already left for fedora forum and the like. The list is

>basically not managed so its useless. If you want to fix that you need

>to take it up with the fedora board I believe.

>Alan

>--

Alan,

Things are not as bleak as you seem to think. I am a regular reader and occasional contributor to this list and have been for years.* True, from time to time we attract some world class trolls. But I have learned more about Linux, Fedora, and computers in general from this list than any other single source. I've seen people ask questions, some very technical ones, on a very wide variety of Linux/Fedora topics and get good answers within minutes.

This list is far from useless. It's a fantastic resource and I want to thank everyone here for all the help they have given me either directly to my questions or indirectly through helping someone else. *

Dennis

Have a question? Ask away: http://ask.fedoraproject.org*I agree with Dennis. *I keep a file of useful threads that I expect to need someday. *Just reading through many of the discussions has been useful. *Thanks to everyone who patiently documents the steps to solve some of these issues. *I also found some of this user's posts to be interesting, but obviously she does not stay on subject well. *I will continue to read posts on this list, and hopefully contribute something useful at some point.

Christina

Old 01-04-2012, 03:10 PM
Olav Vitters

On Wed, Jan 04, 2012 at 03:38:15PM +0000, JB wrote:
> Olav Vitters <olav <at> vitters.nl> writes:
> > On Wed, Jan 04, 2012 at 11:27:11AM +0000, Alan Cox wrote:
> > > Most people already left for fedora forum and the like. The list is
> > > basically not managed so its useless. If you want to fix that you need
> > > to take it up with the fedora board I believe.
> >
> > FWIW, I'm willing to moderate (after effect, doesn't have to be done
> > before the post arrives to the mailing list). I do so already for GNOME.
> >
> > Anyone know whom in Fedora decides this / hands out / approves listadmin
> > permissions? In GNOME I just do because I am able (sysadmin).
>
> Olav,
> with all due respect ...

Sure about that? :P

> Because you are GNOME list moderator, does not qualify you to be one for this
> list.

It seems you missed the "FWIW, I'm willing" in above quote?

For anyone reading along: At the Desktop Summit at least 10 people
thanked me personally for the moderation I do on the GNOME mailing
lists. Also get a thanks in the presentation of the GNOME foundation
meeting (during GUADEC & Desktop Summit).

> As a matter of fact, you should distance yourself from GNOME after all that
> DE garbage they delivered to Fedora users, all over the world.

I do not see the link between this and "with all due respect".

> So, thank you, but NO thank you !

I see your email more as encouragement than anything
else[1]

Anyway, if anyone could just reply to my question ("who decides").. more
constructive.

Olav

Old 01-04-2012, 03:23 PM
JB

Olav Vitters <olav <at> vitters.nl> writes:

> For anyone reading along: At the Desktop Summit at least 10 people
> thanked me personally for the moderation I do on the GNOME mailing
> lists. Also get a thanks in the presentation of the GNOME foundation
> meeting (during GUADEC & Desktop Summit).

Who gives a penny about that here, may I ask ?
This is a Fedora users list.

> > As a matter of fact, you should distance yourself from GNOME after all that
> > DE garbage they delivered to Fedora users, all over the world.
>
> I do not see the link between this and "with all due respect".

I do not think you are up to the task if you are confused about the above ...
This is not a list to be "moderated" by half-witts of your caliber.
Get lost.

JB

Old 01-04-2012, 03:31 PM
Alan Cox

> This is not a list to be "moderated" by half-witts of your caliber.
> Get lost.

A fine demonstration of why the list needs moderating.

Actually Olav does a rather good job on the Gnome lists I've seen. I'm not
sure I agree with all his choices but he does manage to stop them turning
into junk despite them being full of umm 'characters'.

Alan

Old 01-04-2012, 03:39 PM
JB

Alan Cox <alan <at> lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk> writes:

> > This is not a list to be "moderated" by half-witts of your caliber.
> > Get lost.
>
> A fine demonstration of why the list needs moderating.
>
> Actually Olav does a rather good job on the Gnome lists I've seen. I'm not
> sure I agree with all his choices but he does manage to stop them turning
> into junk despite them being full of umm 'characters'.
>
> Alan

Alan,
how is his GNOME "achievement" related to this list ?

By making himself "available" to this list with the justification as he did it,
he showed that he is a complete buffoon !
I say to him once again - get lost !

JB