Old 01-03-2012, 10:10 AM
Roger

Default Fedora 16 test

I just spent this evening playing with the Fedora 16 live iso on a dvd.

Wow!

I find the gui very easy to understand and use, don't like the huge
glunky icons though!

Shutdown is simple - <alt> click.
It found my Fuji Xerox laser printer by it'self, I've not had a Linux
install do that for a long tme, always been a manual search and install!
It printed pdf files, something that Ubuntu hasn't done on my pc for a
very long time.

The Hard drive manager is great.
Nouveau video driver works well with the Nvidia gtx8600 card- haven't
tried Blender3d yet though.
Fedora 14 Virtual Box locks up the computer if I try to install Fedora
16, nothing works.

Hard drive installation tool seems very neat and easy to use, as usual.

Just a couple of questions about clean installing over Fedora 14.
Is there an option for it to not overwrite the home and /var/www/html
directories?
Don't like the font rendering, pretty glunky with Bitstream charter and
the default font. Is there a way to improve font rendering?

Are there any gotchas to look out for.

Thanks fedora, good job
Roger

Old 01-03-2012, 10:20 AM
Ed Greshko

On 01/03/2012 07:10 PM, Roger wrote:
> Is there an option for it to not overwrite the home and /var/www/html
> directories?

If you had them on separate partitions, yes.

fools. -- Douglas Adams in "Mostly Harmless

Old 01-03-2012, 12:30 PM
Bruno Wolff III

On Tue, Jan 03, 2012 at 22:10:10 +1100,
Roger <arelem@bigpond.com> wrote:

> Just a couple of questions about clean installing over Fedora 14.
> Is there an option for it to not overwrite the home and
> /var/www/html directories?

If you do an update (say with preupgrade) instead of a fresh install then
/home will be fine and most custom stuff in /var should stick around.

If /home is on a separate partition a fresh install can leave /home alone.
/var is more of an issue. Even if it is on a separate partition you are
going to want to install stuff on /var. So you would want to copy
/var/www/html somewhere and restore it after the install.

In either case backing up your system before starting is a very good idea.

Old 01-03-2012, 02:55 PM
"R. G. Newbury"

I just spent this evening playing with the Fedora 16 live iso on a dvd.

Wow!

Just a couple of questions about clean installing over Fedora 14.
Is there an option for it to not overwrite the home and /var/www/html
directories?
Don't like the font rendering, pretty glunky with Bitstream charter and
the default font. Is there a way to improve font rendering?
Are there any gotchas to look out for.

Thanks fedora, good job
Roger

You should move the contents of /var/www/html to somewhere else (backup)
or onto /home.

Presuming /home is a separate partition, when the install reaches the
'deal with the hard drive' section, choose 'Custom Layout'. You can then
choose which partitions to format *or not format* as desired.

But you will be unable to change the sizes and layouts of any of your
other partitions. If you need or want to do that, the only safe route is
to backup what you want to save and create your new disk layout with
gparted outside of the installer, or use 'Custom Layout'. Note that
anaconda likes to re-number your partitions as you create new ones,
which can be very annoying. I have never been able to figure out the
logic to its re-numbering. So I use gparted together with 'sfdisk -uS
-l' to create and ensure that the partitions are aligned on 2048 sector
boundaries.

Geoff

Old 01-03-2012, 02:56 PM
Patrick Lists

On 03-01-12 12:10, Roger wrote:
[snip]

Just a couple of questions about clean installing over Fedora 14.
Is there an option for it to not overwrite the home and /var/www/html
directories?

For a fresh install they need to be on separate partitions.

Don't like the font rendering, pretty glunky with Bitstream charter and
the default font. Is there a way to improve font rendering?
Are there any gotchas to look out for.

The F16 GNOME3 desktop uses themes. The default seems is called Adwaita.
If you have installed gnome-tweak-tool and start it then you can see
under the drop down in "Theme -> Window theme" which other themes there
are. Maybe there is one you like.

Alternatively you can Google for other themes and install the one(s) you
like. It's basically CSS so you could do the modifications yourself if
you are familiar with that (e.g. from web development).

Try this command for an overview of the files that make up the Adwaita
theme: $ rpm -ql adwaita-gtk3-theme

The file /usr/share/themes/Adwaita/metacity-1/metacity-theme-3.xml is
probably you want to have a look at for modifications.

There is a nice tutorial howto customize the GNOME3 shell:
http://blog.fpmurphy.com/2011/03/customizing-the-gnome-3-shell.html
It also has an answer howto change those huge icons to something more
sane by tweaking /usr/share/gnome-shell/theme/gnome-shell.css but it
seems a bit outdated. These settings worked for me:

/* Apps */

.icon-grid {
spacing: 18px; /* was 36px */
-shell-grid-item-size: 59px; /* was 118px */
}

.contact-grid {
spacing: 36px;
-shell-grid-item-size: 154px; /* 2 * -shell-grid-item-size + spacing */
}

.icon-grid .overview-icon {
icon-size: 48px; /* was 96px */
}

You can then reload with alt-f2 and in the box type "r" for reload and
hit enter. You should then see the smaller icons in Applications.

You will probably see that the dash (that thing on the left) still has
huge icons. I have read somewhere that it scales dynamically. The code
that does that seems to live in: /usr/share/gnome-shell/js/ui/dash.js
Unfortunately I have no idea how to disable that and just set those
icons in the dash to a normal size. If you figure it out please update
this post.

Regards,
Patrick