Old 03-29-2008, 10:36 AM
Da Rock

Default A wee install problem...

Perhaps you guys might be able to fix something that HP can't...

I have a reasonable laptop with 2Gb RAM (Presario V4004AP) which I had
to install F8 using the text installer last time- graphical stalled.
After the install (which was after I had received the machine back from
a warranty repair for overheating and part failure due to the
overheating issues) the machine lasted a week, then failed post tests.
During the period it was working I had some USB issues, and Gnome made
one complaint of keyboard layout.

I got it back after a mainboard replacement (again), and it lasted
another week (worked like a charm this time) and failed post again.
Couldn't get it to boot at all.

Sent it away again, and this time the tech sent it back NFF- maybe it
wanted a holiday? But when I got it back it did the same thing. I gave
it another kick in the guts, and after 10 secs it did finally pass post
and the bios screen showed up. So I loaded another distro for test
purposes seeing as I had backed up my data before sending it in for
repair.

After my testing I put F8 back on but the installer stalled completely
at /sbin/loader- a point that it would pause at for around 3-5mins when
I first started loading fedora on the is laptop. I tried both graphical
and text installers but nogo.

So in my resourcefulness I decided to use the live disk. It booted fine,
and I clicked on the installer- installed ok. Reboot, and the system
seems ok, but some things start to bother me- pirut doesn't work and
won't install, no office packages, etc... Pirut's complaint was it
couldn't create a directory for pixmaps: io error.

Hmmm. So I'm now stuck either trying fix the botched install by the live
disk, or getting the installer to work. What concerns me is if this post
test failure problem is at the root of this, and how do I fix that or
diag it? MB's been replaced twice, post takes 10 secs+ to pass, and odd
fixes come about by pressure on certain parts of the laptop. Kind of
like reflexology...

After each repair the tech has thoroughly tested the hardware, and has
run the laptop ragged testing. I pulled the laptop apart before the last
repair to try and find the problem myself, but found nothing- no loose
connections, whatever. Hdd passes every test, during post the hdd light
stays on for some time though.

This is all the info I have now. Any ideas guys? Anymore tests I can put
this thing through?

Old 03-30-2008, 12:16 AM
Ric Moore

On Sat, 2008-03-29 at 21:36 +1000, Da Rock wrote:

> After each repair the tech has thoroughly tested the hardware, and has
> run the laptop ragged testing. I pulled the laptop apart before the last
> repair to try and find the problem myself, but found nothing- no loose
> connections, whatever. Hdd passes every test, during post the hdd light
> stays on for some time though.
>
> This is all the info I have now. Any ideas guys? Anymore tests I can put
> this thing through?

Power supply ...I'd definitely start looking there.
http://www.sourceforge.net/projects/oar

Old 03-30-2008, 12:38 AM
Da Rock

On Sat, 2008-03-29 at 21:16 -0400, Ric Moore wrote:
> On Sat, 2008-03-29 at 21:36 +1000, Da Rock wrote:
>
> > After each repair the tech has thoroughly tested the hardware, and has
> > run the laptop ragged testing. I pulled the laptop apart before the last
> > repair to try and find the problem myself, but found nothing- no loose
> > connections, whatever. Hdd passes every test, during post the hdd light
> > stays on for some time though.
> >
> > This is all the info I have now. Any ideas guys? Anymore tests I can put
> > this thing through?
>
> Power supply ...I'd definitely start looking there.

Shit! I had my suspicions on that myself... I was kinda hoping it wasn't
the case. Trouble is how do I get HP to replace it for me? They just go
MB or bios.

After all the repairs I practically have a new laptop- especially if I
get the PSU replaced... even the screens been replaced!

What tests do you know of to diag the PSU? I've tried battery, adaptor,
all the same result so nothing gained there. The common factor is simply
the PSU itself, but I need some more evidence to convince them.

Old 03-30-2008, 09:40 AM
Tim

On Sun, 2008-03-30 at 11:38 +1000, Da Rock wrote:
> What tests do you know of to diag the PSU? I've tried battery,
> adaptor, all the same result so nothing gained there. The common
> factor is simply the PSU itself, but I need some more evidence to
> convince them.

What did you try? You only mentioned trying the battery and adaptor,
but what did you actually do?

If you can get your hands on a spare power supply, and things work fine
with that, then that does point the finger rather badly. Ask friends,
work colleagues, your local Linux user group...

important to the thread.)

I read messages from the public lists.

Old 03-30-2008, 10:00 AM
Ed Greshko

Tim wrote:

What tests do you know of to diag the PSU? I've tried battery,
adaptor, all the same result so nothing gained there. The common
factor is simply the PSU itself, but I need some more evidence to
convince them.

What did you try? You only mentioned trying the battery and adaptor,
but what did you actually do?

If you can get your hands on a spare power supply, and things work fine
with that, then that does point the finger rather badly. Ask friends,
work colleagues, your local Linux user group...

Since the OP is talking about a laptop isn't it hard to find a spare "PS"
for one laying around...let alone install it yourself.

--
In any formula, constants (especially those obtained from handbooks)
are to be treated as variables.

Old 03-30-2008, 10:47 AM
Da Rock

On Sun, 2008-03-30 at 20:10 +1030, Tim wrote:
> On Sun, 2008-03-30 at 11:38 +1000, Da Rock wrote:
> > What tests do you know of to diag the PSU? I've tried battery,
> > adaptor, all the same result so nothing gained there. The common
> > factor is simply the PSU itself, but I need some more evidence to
> > convince them.
>
> What did you try? You only mentioned trying the battery and adaptor,
> but what did you actually do?
>
> If you can get your hands on a spare power supply, and things work fine
> with that, then that does point the finger rather badly. Ask friends,
> work colleagues, your local Linux user group...
>
> --

You do realise we're talking about a small circuit board in a laptop
don't you? I have 2 similar presario laptops and I've used the adaptors
interchangeably. Considering also my knowledge of post testing
demonstrated here and the finite number of possible physical tests it
would mean that they've been eliminated from the suspect list. What I
did ask was what other tests there could be on the small circuit board
inside- the PSU.

And no, the PSU's in the laptops are not interchangeable. They're
similar, but not the same model or class.

Old 03-30-2008, 10:49 AM
Da Rock

On Sun, 2008-03-30 at 18:00 +0800, Ed Greshko wrote:
> Tim wrote:
> > On Sun, 2008-03-30 at 11:38 +1000, Da Rock wrote:
> >> What tests do you know of to diag the PSU? I've tried battery,
> >> adaptor, all the same result so nothing gained there. The common
> >> factor is simply the PSU itself, but I need some more evidence to
> >> convince them.
> >
> > What did you try? You only mentioned trying the battery and adaptor,
> > but what did you actually do?
> >
> > If you can get your hands on a spare power supply, and things work fine
> > with that, then that does point the finger rather badly. Ask friends,
> > work colleagues, your local Linux user group...
>
> Since the OP is talking about a laptop isn't it hard to find a spare "PS"
> for one laying around...let alone install it yourself.

Yes, I just drew attention to that myself. A desktop would simply not
have been a problem.

Is there anything I could try through the cli along the lines of lspci
or other?

Old 03-30-2008, 09:47 PM
Tim

Tim:
>> What did you try? You only mentioned trying the battery and adaptor,
>> but what did you actually do?

Da Rock:
> You do realise we're talking about a small circuit board in a laptop
> don't you? I have 2 similar presario laptops and I've used the adaptors
> interchangeably. Considering also my knowledge of post testing
> demonstrated here and the finite number of possible physical tests it
> would mean that they've been eliminated from the suspect list. What I
> did ask was what other tests there could be on the small circuit board
> inside- the PSU.

I wouldn't suggest electronics tinkering unless you were already
accustomed to it. But I meant, with the "what have you done" question,
things like: Had you tried an alternative supply? Run off a battery
with and without the power supply attached.

Since you, now, mention trying swapping power supplies, that doesn't
sound like the cause of the problem.

You aren't running the laptop with the cooling vents blocked by
anything?