Old 01-03-2012, 12:22 AM
Geoffrey Leach

Default Static ethernet connection

I need to set up an ethernet connection to a device that needs a static
IP address. Can anyone point me to doc on how to do this?

Thanks.

Old 01-03-2012, 12:25 AM
Reindl Harald

Am 03.01.2012 02:22, schrieb Geoffrey Leach:
> I need to set up an ethernet connection to a device that needs a static
> IP address. Can anyone point me to doc on how to do this?

* disable networkmanager
* write a network-script as all the years before

cat /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0
DEVICE=eth0
IPADDR=192.168.1.2
NETWORK=192.168.1.0
BROADCAST=192.168.1.255
NETMASK=255.255.255.0
TYPE=Ethernet
BOOTPROTO=static
ONBOOT=yes
NM_CONTROLLED=no
USERCTL=no
IPV6INIT=no

* chkconfig network on
* service network start

Old 01-03-2012, 12:32 AM
Ed Greshko

On 01/03/2012 09:22 AM, Geoffrey Leach wrote:
> I need to set up an ethernet connection to a device that needs a static
> IP address. Can anyone point me to doc on how to do this?

Reindl gave you one way....

Another, at least in KDE (I'm sure GNOME has the equivalent), is to open
Network Manager and edit the connection and pick "Manual" as the method
to assign IP addresses.

Ed

fools. -- Douglas Adams in "Mostly Harmless

Old 01-03-2012, 03:56 AM
Geoffrey Leach

On 01/02/2012 05:25:25 PM, Reindl Harald wrote:

> Am 03.01.2012 02:22, schrieb Geoffrey Leach:
> > I need to set up an ethernet connection to a device that needs a
> static
> > IP address. Can anyone point me to doc on how to do this?
>
> * disable networkmanager
> * write a network-script as all the years before
>
> cat /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0
> DEVICE=eth0
> IPADDR=192.168.1.2
> NETWORK=192.168.1.0
> BROADCAST=192.168.1.255
> NETMASK=255.255.255.0
> TYPE=Ethernet
> BOOTPROTO=static
> ONBOOT=yes
> NM_CONTROLLED=no
> USERCTL=no
> IPV6INIT=no
>
> * chkconfig network on
> * service network start

Reindl, thanks.

I'm not sure that the network service is available on Fedora 16, which
is OK, because this works fine as is, along with "ifup eth0".
ONBOOT=yes does not work in my context. BTW, what is BOOTPROTO=static?

As it happens, my problem turned out to be that dnsmasq was not
running. It used to be, as you know, that there was a nice service
configuration tool that would prompt you as to what you might need. No
longer (sigh).

Thanks again.

Old 01-03-2012, 03:58 AM
Geoffrey Leach

On 01/02/2012 05:32:00 PM, Ed Greshko wrote:
> On 01/03/2012 09:22 AM, Geoffrey Leach wrote:
> > I need to set up an ethernet connection to a device that needs a
> static
> > IP address. Can anyone point me to doc on how to do this?
> >

> Reindl gave you one way....
>
> Another, at least in KDE (I'm sure GNOME has the equivalent), is to
> open
> Network Manager and edit the connection and pick "Manual" as the
> method
> to assign IP addresses.

Yes, RMB on the Network Manager icon provides this. I used Reindl's
approach, but I'll have to try it sometime. After my NFS problem is
solved.

Thanks.

Old 01-03-2012, 04:13 AM
Ed Greshko

On 01/03/2012 12:58 PM, Geoffrey Leach wrote:
> Yes, RMB on the Network Manager icon provides this. I used Reindl's
> approach, but I'll have to try it sometime. After my NFS problem is
> solved.

OK.... Looking forward to the next installment.... :-)

fools. -- Douglas Adams in "Mostly Harmless

Old 01-03-2012, 06:14 AM
"T.C. Hollingsworth"

On Mon, Jan 2, 2012 at 9:56 PM, Geoffrey Leach <geoff@hughes.net> wrote:
> I'm not sure that the network service is available on Fedora 16, which
> is OK, because this works fine as is, along with "ifup eth0".
> ONBOOT=yes does not work in my context. *BTW, what is BOOTPROTO=static?

The network service is still available on F16, though it uses
systemd's SysV comptaibility mode. Either "systemctl enable
network.service" or "chkconfig network on" will enable it.

"BOOTPROTO=dhcp" configures your connection to obtain an IP address
from a DHCP server, while "BOOTPROTO=static" allows you to assign a
static IP address. The reason it's called "BOOTPROTO" is historical:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bootp

> As it happens, my problem turned out to be that dnsmasq was not
> running. It used to be, as you know, that there was a nice service
> configuration tool that would prompt you as to what you might need. No
> longer (sigh).

Actually, system-config-services got ported to systemd, and works
rather nicely with it.

-T.C.