Old 03-28-2008, 11:46 PM
Les Mikesell

Default BackupPC

Thomas Kappelmueller wrote:

Timothy Murphy wrote:
Is there a reasonably-recent Fedora-oriented tutorial or howto on
BackupPC anywhere on the net?

(I have been reading the widely-cited Debian tutorial
at <http://www.howtoforge.com/linux_backuppc>.)

I've been backing up with a rather simple-minded rsync script,
but thought I'd go over to something more sophisticated.

I wonder what alternative backup programs people would recommend
for Fedora-8, and if possible for CentOS-5.1 too.
(Sadly, BackupPC does not seem to be available for CentOS.)

Any suggestions or advice gratefully received.

I have been using "rdiff-backup" for about 1 year now.

It does differential backups and it is very easy to use and setup.

Sadly there is no package in CentOS.

I checked, it is a python script. Shouldn't be a problem to port it to
CentOS.

Backuppc is a perl script (or a few) and not at all hard to install on
CentOS. The storage philosophy is a bit different between the two.
Backuppc will hardlink and eliminate duplicate copies of files across
target machines but a small change in a big file makes another complete
(compressed) copy. Rdiff-backup will only match duplicates with
previous copies from the same place but small changes in big files are
saved as differences.

--
Les Mikesell
lesmikesell@gmail.com

Old 03-29-2008, 12:30 AM
Timothy Murphy

Les Mikesell wrote:

> Backuppc is a perl script (or a few) and not at all hard to install on
> CentOS. The storage philosophy is a bit different between the two.
> Backuppc will hardlink and eliminate duplicate copies of files across
> target machines but a small change in a big file makes another complete
> (compressed) copy. Rdiff-backup will only match duplicates with
> previous copies from the same place but small changes in big files are
> saved as differences.

So which do you prefer?
It sounds to me as though BackupPC might be a little safer?

Re installation under CentOS, having just acquired a Dell PowerEdge T105
(very cheaply) as server, I've decided only to do what Dell tells me I can.
I do use the Epel Fedora-like repository,
so hopefully BackupPC will get in that fairly soon.

"And always keep a-hold of nurse,
For fear of finding something worse."

--
Timothy Murphy
tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366

Old 03-29-2008, 12:52 AM
Les Mikesell

Timothy Murphy wrote:

Les Mikesell wrote:

Backuppc is a perl script (or a few) and not at all hard to install on
CentOS. The storage philosophy is a bit different between the two.
Backuppc will hardlink and eliminate duplicate copies of files across
target machines but a small change in a big file makes another complete
(compressed) copy. Rdiff-backup will only match duplicates with
previous copies from the same place but small changes in big files are
saved as differences.

So which do you prefer?
It sounds to me as though BackupPC might be a little safer?

Re installation under CentOS, having just acquired a Dell PowerEdge T105
(very cheaply) as server, I've decided only to do what Dell tells me I can.
I do use the Epel Fedora-like repository,
so hopefully BackupPC will get in that fairly soon.

I can't imagine Dell telling you that you can't install a perl script.

I use/like backuppc but the advantages are mostly for backing up several
systems. If you only have one or two machines to back up they are both
good.

--
Les Mikesell
lesmikesell@gmail.com

Old 03-29-2008, 02:36 PM
Timothy Murphy

Les Mikesell wrote:

>> So which do you prefer?
>> It sounds to me as though BackupPC might be a little safer?
>>
>> Re installation under CentOS, having just acquired a Dell PowerEdge T105
>> (very cheaply) as server, I've decided only to do what Dell tells me I
>> can. I do use the Epel Fedora-like repository,
>> so hopefully BackupPC will get in that fairly soon.
>
> I can't imagine Dell telling you that you can't install a perl script.

There is a distinction between what They say I can do,
and what They don't say I can't do.

> I use/like backuppc but the advantages are mostly for backing up several
> systems. If you only have one or two machines to back up they are both
> good.

Thanks.
I've 5 or 6 machines to backup, so I guess I'll go for BackupPC.
I didn't find a Fedora tutorial/howto/FAQ for this program.
Does Fedora have any official recommendation for backup?

Old 03-29-2008, 02:48 PM
Tony Molloy

On Saturday 29 March 2008 15:36:05 Timothy Murphy wrote:

> Thanks.
> I've 5 or 6 machines to backup, so I guess I'll go for BackupPC.
> I didn't find a Fedora tutorial/howto/FAQ for this program.
> Does Fedora have any official recommendation for backup?

Timothy,

Just download the BackupPC source from sourceforge. The install is trivial
just answer a few questions. Just make sure you have a large enough directory
for the backups.

If you have any problems you can contact me offlist.

Tony

Old 03-29-2008, 03:10 PM
Les Mikesell

Timothy Murphy wrote:

So which do you prefer?
It sounds to me as though BackupPC might be a little safer?

Re installation under CentOS, having just acquired a Dell PowerEdge T105
(very cheaply) as server, I've decided only to do what Dell tells me I
can. I do use the Epel Fedora-like repository,
so hopefully BackupPC will get in that fairly soon.

I can't imagine Dell telling you that you can't install a perl script.

There is a distinction between what They say I can do,
and what They don't say I can't do.

Do they say bad things will happen if you do something they don't say
you can do?

I use/like backuppc but the advantages are mostly for backing up several
systems. If you only have one or two machines to back up they are both
good.

Thanks.
I've 5 or 6 machines to backup, so I guess I'll go for BackupPC.
I didn't find a Fedora tutorial/howto/FAQ for this program.
Does Fedora have any official recommendation for backup?

I think there is an RPM package for fedora that would probably work but
it relocates some of the parts so it is easier to understand if you use
the original sourceforge version and follow the instructions. The only
parts that are tricky aren't really backuppc specific anyway - you need
to set up http with password authentication and ssh keys with the
targets and those are done the usual way. I'd recommend not using
mod_perl in the web server setup because you don't spend that much time
in the web interface and without it the web server and backupp program
can run as different users - but you need to have the perl-suidperl
package installed. It is a good idea to put the backup archive on its
own disk or at least a separate partition.

--
Les Mikesell
lesmikesell@gmail.com

Old 04-08-2008, 07:46 PM
Jim Douglas

I installed BackupPC with YUM.

How can I configure and use it?

Jim

Old 04-08-2008, 08:54 PM
Tóth Imre

Hi all,

You'll the configuration directory here:
/etc/backuppc

The first step, change the backuppc admin's password:
htpasswd /etc/backuppc/htpasswd backuppc

The second:
Edit this: /etc/backuppc/hosts
Here is the syntax:
"host dhcp user"
Example in my config:
ber 0 grafadmin

If you will use the backuppc int the Ms-Windows network, the best if you'll
use for the transfer method, the smb. Edit the /etc/backuppc/config.pl here:
"$Conf{XferMethod} = 'smb';"

After the edits, run this: /etc/init.d/backuppc restart

When the restart process will be run, you can see the backuppc in the web
browser:
http://your_host_ip_or_domanin_name/backuppc

Bye, Emeric