Old 12-31-2011, 10:39 PM
Tom Horsley

Default RS880 Audio Device (Radeon HD 4200) HDMI sound interface difficulties

On Sat, 31 Dec 2011 17:27:11 -0600
Gregory P. Ennis wrote:

> Does anyone know if there are special drivers that are needed for this.

I don't know if this is one of the ATI cards that falls in the
unsupported category or not, but there are definitely ATI HDMI
cards out there with no HDMI audio support in current released kernels.

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=MTAyNDY

possibly includes your card (not sure though).

You may have to install the ATI proprietary drivers (if they'll
work with F16, which is also iffy :-).

Old 12-31-2011, 10:54 PM
"Gregory P. Ennis"

> Does anyone know if there are special drivers that are needed for this.

I don't know if this is one of the ATI cards that falls in the
unsupported category or not, but there are definitely ATI HDMI
cards out there with no HDMI audio support in current released kernels.

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=MTAyNDY

possibly includes your card (not sure though).

You may have to install the ATI proprietary drivers (if they'll
work with F16, which is also iffy :-).

Tom,

Thanks for the response. I was afraid of that. I don't think my skill
set allows me to safely try out their drivers. I already tried to
install akmod-catalyst and ruined my gui. Thanks for your suggestion,
Looks like I may need to wait on a 3.3 kernel unless someone else has
unlocked this problem.

Greg

Old 12-31-2011, 11:14 PM
"T.C. Hollingsworth"

On Sat, Dec 31, 2011 at 4:54 PM, Gregory P. Ennis <PoMec@pomec.net> wrote:
>> Does anyone know if there are special drivers that are needed for this.
>
> I don't know if this is one of the ATI cards that falls in the
> unsupported category or not, but there are definitely ATI HDMI
> cards out there with no HDMI audio support in current released kernels.
>
> http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=MTAyNDY
>
> possibly includes your card (not sure though).
>
> You may have to install the ATI proprietary drivers (if they'll
> work with F16, which is also iffy :-).

> Tom,
>
> Thanks for the response. *I was afraid of that. *I don't think my skill
> set allows me to safely try out their drivers. *I already tried to
> install akmod-catalyst and ruined my gui. *Thanks for your suggestion,
> Looks like I may need to wait on a 3.3 kernel unless someone else has
> unlocked this problem.

Actually, the kernel has HDMI audio support for your particular card,
it's just disabled by default. Add "radeon.audio=1" to your kernel
command line to enable it.

Hat-tip to the always awesome Arch wiki for this information.

-T.C.

Old 01-01-2012, 12:14 AM
"Gregory P. Ennis"

On Sat, Dec 31, 2011 at 4:54 PM, Gregory P. Ennis <PoMec@pomec.net> wrote:
>> Does anyone know if there are special drivers that are needed for this.
>
> I don't know if this is one of the ATI cards that falls in the
> unsupported category or not, but there are definitely ATI HDMI
> cards out there with no HDMI audio support in current released kernels.
>
> http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=MTAyNDY
>
> possibly includes your card (not sure though).
>
> You may have to install the ATI proprietary drivers (if they'll
> work with F16, which is also iffy :-).

> Tom,
>
> Thanks for the response. I was afraid of that. I don't think my skill
> set allows me to safely try out their drivers. I already tried to
> install akmod-catalyst and ruined my gui. Thanks for your suggestion,
> Looks like I may need to wait on a 3.3 kernel unless someone else has
> unlocked this problem.

Actually, the kernel has HDMI audio support for your particular card,
it's just disabled by default. Add "radeon.audio=1" to your kernel
command line to enable it.

Hat-tip to the always awesome Arch wiki for this information.

-T.C.

T.C.

Thanks for the advice. I added the "radeon.audio=1" to the kernel
command line, but the hdmi still does not function. I tried to add the
command to ./grub/menu.lst but looks like that file is not present in
F16. I took a look at my install logs and found the following :

Dec 31 12:45:59 Re02 kernel: [ 1.907760] [drm] Radeon display
connector VGA-1: No monitor connected or invalid EDID
Dec 31 12:45:59 Re02 kernel: [ 1.959789] [drm] Radeon display
connector LVDS-1: Found valid EDID
Dec 31 12:45:59 Re02 kernel: [ 2.065434] [drm] Radeon display
connector HDMI-A-1: Found valid EDID
Dec 31 12:45:59 Re02 kernel: [ 2.065514] [drm] radeon: power
management initialized

Dec 31 12:45:59 Re02 kernel: [ 3.199259] fbcon: radeondrmfb (fb0) is
primary device
Dec 31 12:45:59 Re02 kernel: [ 3.246416] Console: switching to colour
frame buffer device 170x48
Dec 31 12:45:59 Re02 kernel: [ 3.258411] fb0: radeondrmfb frame
buffer device
Dec 31 12:45:59 Re02 kernel: [ 3.258416] drm: registered panic
notifier3.1.6-1.fc16.x86_64
Dec 31 12:45:59 Re02 kernel: [ 3.258441] [drm] Initialized radeon
2.11.0 20080528 for 0000:01:05.0 on minor 0

The kernel is this machine is :
3.1.6-1.fc16.x86_64

It looks to me like this kernel is recognizing the hdmi interface, but
hdmi sound is still not working.

Thanks again for your help!!!

Greg