Old 12-31-2011, 05:58 PM
Tom Horsley

Default trollfilter software

Inspired by recent threads in this mailing list, I have
written the trollfilter program:

http://home.comcast.net/~tomhorsley/software/trollfilter/trollfilter.html

I just thought folks here might find it useful (and it
was developed on a fedora system to enhance the experience
of reading the users mailing list, so it isn't totally
off topic :-).

Old 12-31-2011, 08:02 PM
Genes MailLists

On 12/31/2011 01:58 PM, Tom Horsley wrote:
> I have ... written the trollfilter program:

Nice project for you I'm sure ..

but as I'm sure you know, procmail and just about any decent mail
client can do this already ...

Old 12-31-2011, 08:10 PM
Genes MailLists

Tom - Im curious - why are you using fetchmail to pull gmail via pop
instead of just connecting to it via imap with your mail client?

Old 12-31-2011, 08:30 PM
Joe Zeff

Tom - Im curious - why are you using fetchmail to pull gmail via pop
instead of just connecting to it via imap with your mail client?

He may simply prefer POP3; I know I do.

Old 12-31-2011, 08:44 PM
Craig White

On Sat, 2011-12-31 at 13:30 -0800, Joe Zeff wrote:
> On 12/31/2011 01:10 PM, Genes MailLists wrote:
> > Tom - Im curious - why are you using fetchmail to pull gmail via pop
> > instead of just connecting to it via imap with your mail client?
>
> He may simply prefer POP3; I know I do.
----
that's insane - he runs his own IMAP server (dovecot) and uses a POP3
connection to get the mail from gmail, delete it from gmail and pipe it
to his IMAP server..

If you took a second to look at his link you would understand that.

POP3 for a typical mail client is for people who are mired in the 1990's
and thus slavishly move mail from computer to computer, program to
program, either out of ignorance for a better way or just lack
imagination. But if you never change computers, never change e-mail
programs, never want to use another computer or device to check e-mail,
then sure, POP3.

Craig

believed to be clean.

Old 12-31-2011, 08:47 PM
Tom Horsley

On Sat, 31 Dec 2011 16:10:40 -0500
Genes MailLists wrote:

> Tom - Im curious - why are you using fetchmail to pull gmail via pop
> instead of just connecting to it via imap with your mail client?

Because I want all my mail consolidated on my own IMAP server
where I can filter it the way I want it (and have the dovecot sieve
filters work the exact same way no matter which email
client I use), get to it from other machines
on my LAN, etc.

In particular, having the filters work *before* the mail clients
see it seems to make everything much better (I know when I tried
to use evolution, it would notify me I had new mail first, then
apply the client-side filters that deleted or moved the mail,
so I'd go to check my new mail, and there wouldn't be any - yet
another of the 1001 reasons I dropped evolution :-).

I can also switch email clients at will, and all my mail
is still filtered the same on my server.

Old 12-31-2011, 08:51 PM
Reindl Harald

Am 31.12.2011 22:44, schrieb Craig White:
> POP3 for a typical mail client is for people who are mired in the 1990's

stop your idiotic trolling in this and many other topics

i bet you are the one of having 4.000 mails in their inbox
and wondering why their mail-client get's slow and their
admin angry because if you have some hundret users and
every of them needs 1 GB mailspace and oyu are NOT google
space costs money!

Old 12-31-2011, 08:52 PM
Joe Zeff

POP3 for a typical mail client is for people who are mired in the 1990's
and thus slavishly move mail from computer to computer, program to
program, either out of ignorance for a better way or just lack
imagination. But if you never change computers, never change e-mail
programs, never want to use another computer or device to check e-mail,
then sure, POP3.

So, let me get this straight. By your standards, I'm insane and mired
in the past simply because I prefer having all of my email on my own
computer, rather than leaving it on some server out in the cloud. I
think it's better that I keep my comments on that to myself in this case.

Old 12-31-2011, 09:04 PM
Craig White

On Sat, 2011-12-31 at 22:51 +0100, Reindl Harald wrote:

> Am 31.12.2011 22:44, schrieb Craig White:
> > POP3 for a typical mail client is for people who are mired in the 1990's
>
> stop your idiotic trolling in this and many other topics
>
> i bet you are the one of having 4.000 mails in their inbox
> and wondering why their mail-client get's slow and their
> admin angry because if you have some hundret users and
> every of them needs 1 GB mailspace and oyu are NOT google
> space costs money!
----
I've asked you many times before and I will ask again - please don't
respond to my e-mails

Craig

believed to be clean.

Old 12-31-2011, 09:07 PM
Reindl Harald

Am 31.12.2011 23:04, schrieb Craig White:
> On Sat, 2011-12-31 at 22:51 +0100, Reindl Harald wrote:
>>
>> Am 31.12.2011 22:44, schrieb Craig White:
>>> POP3 for a typical mail client is for people who are mired in the 1990's
>>
>> stop your idiotic trolling in this and many other topics
>>
>> i bet you are the one of having 4.000 mails in their inbox
>> and wondering why their mail-client get's slow and their
>> admin angry because if you have some hundret users and
>> every of them needs 1 GB mailspace and oyu are NOT google
>> space costs money!
>
> I've asked you many times before and I will ask again - please don't
> respond to my e-mails

NOBODY is interested what YOU ask as long as you are trolling
like "for people who are mired in the 1990's"

again: who do YOU think you are?