Old 01-01-2012, 02:01 AM
Robert Moskowitz

Default Desktop "stickiness" under Fedora-16/KDE

On 12/31/2011 08:29 PM, Genes MailLists wrote:

On 12/31/2011 11:09 AM, Genes MailLists wrote:

..

You may want to turn off nepomuk/strigi indexing ... it can be
offensive at times ...

Can you provide some info on where this is located? It sounds 'new' to
me....

K-menu->System Settings-> Desktop Search

This is a kde feature then, not in gnome?

Old 01-01-2012, 02:32 AM
Genes MailLists

> On 12/31/2011 08:29 PM, Genes MailLists wrote:

>> K-menu->System Settings-> Desktop Search
>
> This is a kde feature then, not in gnome?

yes - tho Gnome has a similar thing - it may be called Beagle .. but
I'm not sure ...

Old 01-01-2012, 12:12 PM
Timothy Murphy

Genes MailLists wrote:

>>> You may want to turn off nepomuk/strigi indexing ... it can be
>>> offensive at times ...
>>
>> Can you provide some info on where this is located? It sounds 'new' to
>> me....
>
> K-menu->System Settings-> Desktop Search

As a matter of interest, what is lost if one does this (as I have).
Presumably running strigi indexing must have some benefit?

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail: gayleard /at/ eircom.net

Old 01-01-2012, 04:17 PM
Genes MailLists

On 01/01/2012 08:12 AM, Timothy Murphy wrote:
> Genes MailLists wrote:
>>
>> K-menu->System Settings-> Desktop Search
>
> As a matter of interest, what is lost if one does this (as I have).
> Presumably running strigi indexing must have some benefit?

Desktop search:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strigi
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NEPOMUK_(framework)
http://nepomuk.kde.org/
http://dot.kde.org/2007/04/11/road-kde-4-strigi-and-file-information-extraction

And others ...

gene

Old 01-01-2012, 07:06 PM
Olav Vitters

On Sat, Dec 31, 2011 at 10:32:18PM -0500, Genes MailLists wrote:
> yes - tho Gnome has a similar thing - it may be called Beagle .. but
> I'm not sure ...

Beagle was used in the past. Currently it uses Tracker. Before the
release of 3.0, Tracker could still negatively impacted performance.
This was fixed before 3.0 (you can tell the kernel to give a low/idle
priority for a processes IO, etc).

Olav

Old 01-02-2012, 12:14 AM
Genes MailLists

On 01/01/2012 03:06 PM, Olav Vitters wrote:

> Beagle was used in the past. Currently it uses Tracker. Before the
> release of 3.0, Tracker could still negatively impacted performance.
> This was fixed before 3.0 (you can tell the kernel to give a low/idle
> priority for a processes IO, etc).

That makes sense - the newer KDE one may be similar as I didn't
"notice" any performance problem, but habit made me kill it quickly ...
may be worth re-investigating .. thanks for followup.

Old 01-02-2012, 11:34 AM
Timothy Murphy

Genes MailLists wrote:

>>> K-menu->System Settings-> Desktop Search
>>
>> As a matter of interest, what is lost if one does this (as I have).
[turn off "Enable Nepomuk Semantic Desktop"]
>> Presumably running strigi indexing must have some benefit?
>>

> Desktop search:
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strigi
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NEPOMUK_(framework)
> http://nepomuk.kde.org/
> http://dot.kde.org/2007/04/11/road-kde-4-strigi-and-file-information-
extraction

> And others ...

I've looked at these,
and while the idea behind nepomuk ("semantic desktop")
seems quite interesting, there doesn't seem to be anything
that would help me in my perhaps simple-minded use of Fedora/KDE.
And there do seem a number of problems associated with nepomuk/strigi.

Do you have a concrete application you have used nepomuk/strigi for?

Old 01-02-2012, 01:02 PM
Genes MailLists

On 01/02/2012 07:34 AM, Timothy Murphy wrote:

> Do you have a concrete application you have used nepomuk/strigi for?

Not me sorry - I turn it off :-)