Old 12-31-2011, 03:47 AM
alick

Default Question about hard disk installation

于 2011年12月31日 11:46, Mark LaPierre 写道:
> On 12/30/2011 10:31 PM, alick wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I have a question about installing Fedora from hard disk.
>>
>> I downloaded a DVD iso, extract vmlinuz and initrd.img to
>> partition A, then I put iso file onto partition B.
>>
>> Since I have grub (grub1) from old version of Fedora, I can
>> use it to boot extracted vmlinuz, and start my installation.
>>
>> I already know that partition B should be ext2/3/4 or FAT, and
>> should never be formatted during installation. Now I wonder
>> what requirements should partition A have. Can partition A be
>> formatted during installation? Is it necessary A is ext3/4?
>> Is it better that A is the same as B?
>>
>> Note: yeah I indeed have installed Fedora 16. During my installation
>> partition A is a small not-used ext3 partition. The installation
>> works as expected. Now I just want to know whether partition A
>> can be say my old / partition(which will be formatted).
>>
>> Note again: this is my first post here. If this question is asked
>> and answered before, hope someone can point me there.
>
> If all you have in this partition is the vmlinuz and initrd.img files
> you can do anything you want to the partition after you are booted into
> the system. The vmlinuz file is uncompressed into a ramdisk on boot up
> so it is no longer needed on the HD.

Thank you! This clear my doubts

--
alick
Fedora 16 (Verne) user

Old 12-31-2011, 03:57 AM
alick

于 2011年12月31日 12:00, Craig White 写道:
> On Sat, 2011-12-31 at 11:31 +0800, alick wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I have a question about installing Fedora from hard disk.
>>
>> I downloaded a DVD iso, extract vmlinuz and initrd.img to
>> partition A, then I put iso file onto partition B.
>>
>> Since I have grub (grub1) from old version of Fedora, I can
>> use it to boot extracted vmlinuz, and start my installation.
>>
>> I already know that partition B should be ext2/3/4 or FAT, and
>> should never be formatted during installation.
> ----
> why do you say - should never be formatted during installation? Default
> installation would normally reformat any partitions you designate for
> use and it's the only way to ensure that the install is clean.

In my mind, during installing from hard drive, the software should be
copied from the partition which holds the ISO file. In case this
partition get reformatted at partitioning procedure, software then can
not be found. Is it so?

> Note that the 'format' is a quick format.
>
> Would advise against FAT volumes for Linux use except in some
> 'dual-boot' instances.
> ----
>> Now I wonder
>> what requirements should partition A have. Can partition A be
>> formatted during installation? Is it necessary A is ext3/4?
>> Is it better that A is the same as B?
> ----
> each partition is evaluated/used on it's own and can be any supported
> filesystem without regard to any other used. That said, the partition
> used for /boot should be ext2, ext3 or ext4 and it would appear that
> ext4 is now the default for /boot.
> ----
>> Note: yeah I indeed have installed Fedora 16. During my installation
>> partition A is a small not-used ext3 partition. The installation
>> works as expected. Now I just want to know whether partition A
>> can be say my old / partition(which will be formatted).
> ----
> partition A, B are vague references that don't have any particular
> meaning to me.

Well, I use partition A to denote the partition which holds vmlinuz file
extracted from the ISO file. And I use partition B to denote the
partition which holds the ISO file. Hope I explain better.

> are you sure that partition A isn't being used in some fashion?
>
> At any rate, if you are doing a complete/clean install, you would
> probably by default end up with 2 partitions... /boot (approximately
> 500M) and the rest of the hard drive which is one large lvm which would
> have lvm partitions for root (/) and swap and possibly /home
I have used Fedora for a while and now I normally do not use the default
partition scheme. I have an separated /home partition.
> ----
> [...]

Sorry for my not-good English.

Old 12-31-2011, 11:39 AM
Craig White

On Sat, 2011-12-31 at 12:57 +0800, alick wrote:
> 于 2011年12月31日 12:00, Craig White 写道:
> > On Sat, 2011-12-31 at 11:31 +0800, alick wrote:
> >> Hi all,
> >>
> >> I have a question about installing Fedora from hard disk.
> >>
> >> I downloaded a DVD iso, extract vmlinuz and initrd.img to
> >> partition A, then I put iso file onto partition B.
> >>
> >> Since I have grub (grub1) from old version of Fedora, I can
> >> use it to boot extracted vmlinuz, and start my installation.
> >>
> >> I already know that partition B should be ext2/3/4 or FAT, and
> >> should never be formatted during installation.
> > ----
> > why do you say - should never be formatted during installation? Default
> > installation would normally reformat any partitions you designate for
> > use and it's the only way to ensure that the install is clean.
> >
> In my mind, during installing from hard drive, the software should be
> copied from the partition which holds the ISO file. In case this
> partition get reformatted at partitioning procedure, software then can
> not be found. Is it so?
----
it will be formatted prior to copying (installing) any files
----

> Well, I use partition A to denote the partition which holds vmlinuz file
> extracted from the ISO file. And I use partition B to denote the
> partition which holds the ISO file. Hope I explain better.
----
The partition holding the ISO file will not be formatted and cannot be
used by the new install at all.
----

> Sorry for my not-good English.
----
no problem - just wanted to make sure we were clear.

Craig

believed to be clean.