Old 12-31-2011, 02:31 AM
alick

Default Question about hard disk installation

Hi all,

I have a question about installing Fedora from hard disk.

I downloaded a DVD iso, extract vmlinuz and initrd.img to
partition A, then I put iso file onto partition B.

Since I have grub (grub1) from old version of Fedora, I can
use it to boot extracted vmlinuz, and start my installation.

I already know that partition B should be ext2/3/4 or FAT, and
should never be formatted during installation. Now I wonder
what requirements should partition A have. Can partition A be
formatted during installation? Is it necessary A is ext3/4?
Is it better that A is the same as B?

Note: yeah I indeed have installed Fedora 16. During my installation
partition A is a small not-used ext3 partition. The installation
works as expected. Now I just want to know whether partition A
can be say my old / partition(which will be formatted).

Note again: this is my first post here. If this question is asked
and answered before, hope someone can point me there.
--
alick
Fedora 16 (Verne) user

Old 12-31-2011, 02:46 AM
Mark LaPierre

[...]

If all you have in this partition is the vmlinuz and initrd.img files
you can do anything you want to the partition after you are booted into
the system. The vmlinuz file is uncompressed into a ramdisk on boot up
so it is no longer needed on the HD.

/(_)
^ ^ Mark LaPierre
Registerd Linux user No #267004
www.counter.li.org

Old 12-31-2011, 03:00 AM
Craig White

On Sat, 2011-12-31 at 11:31 +0800, alick wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have a question about installing Fedora from hard disk.
>
> I downloaded a DVD iso, extract vmlinuz and initrd.img to
> partition A, then I put iso file onto partition B.
>
> Since I have grub (grub1) from old version of Fedora, I can
> use it to boot extracted vmlinuz, and start my installation.
>
> I already know that partition B should be ext2/3/4 or FAT, and
> should never be formatted during installation.
----
why do you say - should never be formatted during installation? Default
installation would normally reformat any partitions you designate for
use and it's the only way to ensure that the install is clean.

Note that the 'format' is a quick format.

Would advise against FAT volumes for Linux use except in some
'dual-boot' instances.
----
> Now I wonder
> what requirements should partition A have. Can partition A be
> formatted during installation? Is it necessary A is ext3/4?
> Is it better that A is the same as B?
----
each partition is evaluated/used on it's own and can be any supported
filesystem without regard to any other used. That said, the partition
used for /boot should be ext2, ext3 or ext4 and it would appear that
ext4 is now the default for /boot.
----
> Note: yeah I indeed have installed Fedora 16. During my installation
> partition A is a small not-used ext3 partition. The installation
> works as expected. Now I just want to know whether partition A
> can be say my old / partition(which will be formatted).
----
partition A, B are vague references that don't have any particular
meaning to me.

are you sure that partition A isn't being used in some fashion?

At any rate, if you are doing a complete/clean install, you would
probably by default end up with 2 partitions... /boot (approximately
500M) and the rest of the hard drive which is one large lvm which would
have lvm partitions for root (/) and swap and possibly /home
----
> Note again: this is my first post here. If this question is asked
> and answered before, hope someone can point me there.
----
probably most questions have already been asked and answered here in
some form.

Craig

believed to be clean.