Old 12-31-2011, 01:41 AM
Pete Travis

Default F16 - a good experience

On Dec 30, 2011 5:04 PM, "Joe Zeff" <joe@zeff.us> wrote:

> On 12/30/2011 03:25 PM, Pete Travis wrote:

>> your reply suggests I didn't clearly communicate the concept of

>> extensible behavior sets (my words).

> I understand what you're getting at. *What you don't seem to understand is that I've only logged into the Gnome Shell by accident, I didn't like what I saw and the only thing I was interested in was getting out of it again as fast as I could. *I don't like it, I don't want to use it and, when I upgrade my computer and move to a 64-bit install, I won't have it installed, except for those bits and pieces used by programs I want. I'm not forcing you to try XFCE if you don't want to; why do you insist that I try Gnome 3 after I've said that I don't want to use it?

I'm not trying to single you out, Joe.* I'm a regular reader of your posts, and generally appreciate what you have to say.* I'm usually content to lurk, picking up tips or learning about things I'd like to research further.* Don't take my comments as a conversion attempt or personal criticism aimed at you or anyone else they may apply to.

My point is that I'm tired of reading broad criticisms of gnome3.* They are often injected out of context, and even when marginally inappropriate, they quickly derail the thread. I understand that some may not like it, and like yourself, tried it briefly and moved on.* I'd like to see these folks drop gnome3 from their list discourse with the same finality that they have dropped it from their workflow.* When a user writes in with general usage questions, or any typical support request,* that user will rarely find value in a reply that does not address their problem.* I'm not going to dig for examples, but there are many, and this thread is only one.

So, if you don't like gnome3, and you don't use it, why talk about it?* Is there a benefit to yourself or the project to be gained?** Are these complaints contributing to the signal, or the noise?

--Pete

Old 12-31-2011, 07:12 AM
Joe Zeff