Old 12-30-2011, 12:25 PM
Philip Rhoades

Default F16 - a good experience - except Zenbook trackpad + couple of other things

People,

Date: Fri, 30 Dec 2011 09:41:58 -0500
From: Lucélio Gomes de Freitas <aa.lucelio@gmail.com>
To: Community support for Fedora users
<users@lists.fedoraproject.org>

Subject: Re: F16 - a good experience

+1

Em 30-12-2011 06:34, mike cloaked escreveu:
I know that recently some folk have posted of bad experiences with
f16

- however I am running f16 on 6 machines (4 laptops and 2 desktops)
with 4 x86_64 and 2 i686 - and all are now stable, and running with
responsive and crisp xfce desktop. I can do everything that I need

do, and one of the machines is a server and has performed flawlessly
since its install about a month ago.

Yes it does need some love and attention to get things configured
and

set up working as desired (and some lookups and learning) - but I am
really pretty happy overall with f16 now - so this is general thank
you to all developers and testers in getting f16 to a good working
state - of course there are some residual bugs which need squashing
(Name "any" system has zero bugs after all!).

+1 from me too but has anyone got a solution to the Zenbook trackpad
hassles? (I am using XFCE) out and also:

- the Webcam not recognised
- the USB Ethernet dongle not recognised

Suggestions about possible fixes appreciated!

Thanks,

Phil.
--
Philip Rhoades

GPO Box 3411
Sydney NSW 2001
Australia
E-mail: phil@pricom.com.au

Old 12-30-2011, 08:52 PM
mike cloaked

On Fri, Dec 30, 2011 at 1:25 PM, Philip Rhoades <phil@pricom.com.au> wrote:

> +1 from me too but has anyone got a solution to the Zenbook trackpad
> hassles? (I am using XFCE) out and also:

What particular issues are you having with the trackpad - I don't have
that particular machine but I have startup commands to set touchpad
parameters using
1) Edits to the 50-synaptics file in /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/*conf
along the lines of:
Section "InputClass"
Identifier "touchpad catchall"
MatchIsTouchpad "on"
MatchDevicePath "/dev/input/event*"
Option "TapButton1" "1"
Option "TapButton2" "2"
Option "TapButton3" "3"
EndSection

This allows the touchpad to work even at the login greeter.

and
2) In the start menu I have separate items such as
synclient TapButton1=1
synclient VertEdgeScroll=1

and also to disable touchpad clicks whilst typing but keep touchpad
dragging unaffected I have another line like:
syndaemon -t -k -i 1 -d

This ensures the touchpad functions I want still work in my xfce desktop.

Something similar may help you if these kinds of function are needed
on your system?

--
mike c

Old 12-31-2011, 05:49 AM
Philip Rhoades

Mike,

+1 from me too but has anyone got a solution to the Zenbook trackpad
hassles? (I am using XFCE) out and also:

What particular issues are you having with the trackpad - I don't
have

that particular machine but I have startup commands to set touchpad
parameters using
1) Edits to the 50-synaptics file in /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/*conf
along the lines of:
Section "InputClass"
Identifier "touchpad catchall"
MatchIsTouchpad "on"
MatchDevicePath "/dev/input/event*"
Option "TapButton1" "1"
Option "TapButton2" "2"
Option "TapButton3" "3"
EndSection

This allows the touchpad to work even at the login greeter.

and
2) In the start menu I have separate items such as

Which file is that? - it doesn't look like it should be:

/etc/xdg/menus/xfce-applications.menu

Thanks,

Phil.