-   -   where is the config for dynamically added volumes in nautilus? (http://www.linux-archive.org/fedora-user/615071-where-config-dynamically-added-volumes-nautilus.html)

Da Rock 12-30-2011 12:14 AM

where is the config for dynamically added volumes in nautilus?

I've googled for close to a week to resolve this. I know that inserting
a usb disk (depending on setup and version) causes a knock on effect by
calling dbus, hal, and maybe more depending. But *how* does nautilus (or
any other file manager system) find out that the disk is there and put
an icon in the sidebar ("places")?

I've checked bookmarks, GConf- nothing I can see anywhere tells me how
this is done. I figured there must be a GConf setting somewhere or
another backend that stores this otherwise there'd be too many lookups.

Surely it can't be polling for it through hal continuously?

Clues anyone?

Antonio Olivares 12-30-2011 12:49 AM

where is the config for dynamically added volumes in nautilus?

> resolve this. I know that inserting a usb disk (depending on
> setup and version) causes a knock on effect by calling dbus,
> hal, and maybe more depending. But *how* does nautilus (or
> any other file manager system) find out that the disk is
> there and put an icon in the sidebar ("places")?
>
> I've checked bookmarks, GConf- nothing I can see anywhere
> tells me how this is done. I figured there must be a GConf
> setting somewhere or another backend that stores this
> otherwise there'd be too many lookups.
>
> Surely it can't be polling for it through hal
> continuously?
>
> Clues anyone?
> -- users mailing list

hal is no longer present in Fedora. Which version of Fedora are you running?

Now udisk takes care of mounting usb disks as they become available.

I am trying to find a reference to indicate the changes and make it available here, but can't seem to find one.

Maybe this LWN article can help?

http://lwn.net/Articles/465921/

Regards,

Antonio

Da Rock 12-30-2011 02:42 AM

[...]

Yes, but there is still the same problem- my question is how is it
notified/config/whatever? I used hal in the equation because that is
what *was* used, and all the data I could find on the net was based on
it (mind you it is only in hindsight this "trade secret" has been
divulged, and even then... hmmm). But Udev still has to use the same
method as well, right? So what gives? It has to be stored somewhere...
so where?

Antonio Olivares 12-30-2011 12:00 PM

where is the config for dynamically added volumes in nautilus?

> >> I've googled for close to a week to
> >> resolve this. I know that inserting a usb disk
> (depending on
> >> setup and version) causes a knock on effect by
> calling dbus,
> >> hal, and maybe more depending. But *how* does
> nautilus (or
> >> any other file manager system) find out that the
> disk is
> >> there and put an icon in the sidebar ("places")?
> >>
> >> I've checked bookmarks, GConf- nothing I can see
> anywhere
> >> tells me how this is done. I figured there must be
> a GConf
> >> setting somewhere or another backend that stores
> this
> >> otherwise there'd be too many lookups.
> >>
> >> Surely it can't be polling for it through hal
> >> continuously?
> >>
> >> Clues anyone?
> >> -- users mailing list
> > hal is no longer present in Fedora.* Which
> version of Fedora are you running?
> >
> > Now udisk takes care of mounting usb disks as they
> become available.
> >
> > I am trying to find a reference to indicate the
> changes and make it available here, but can't seem to find
> one.
> >
> > Maybe this LWN article can help?
> >
> > http://lwn.net/Articles/465921/
> Yes, but there is still the same problem- my question is
> how is it
> notified/config/whatever? I used hal in the equation
> because that is
> what *was* used, and all the data I could find on the net
> was based on
> it (mind you it is only in hindsight this "trade secret"
> has been
> divulged, and even then... hmmm). But Udev still has to use
> the same
> method as well, right? So what gives? It has to be stored
> somewhere...
> so where?
> --

http://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/Fedora/16/html-single/Release_Notes/#id2953039

http://forums.fedoraforum.org/archive/index.php/t-269054.html

Hope these help in some way as I can't seem to find a page that can really show what is needed to address the problem? :(

Regards,

Antonio

Da Rock 12-30-2011 01:03 PM

[...]

Hmmm. I think I'm asking the wrong question in the wrong place :( I'd
say I'm asking a gnome developer question which I'm not so sure I can
get a straight answer here.

NP. The reason I asked was due to the lack of docs available regarding
the subject, and it looks like the gnome developers don't hang out here...

Cheers guys.