Linux Archive

Linux Archive (http://www.linux-archive.org/)
-   Fedora User (http://www.linux-archive.org/fedora-user/)
-   -   DVD ISO copy weirdness (http://www.linux-archive.org/fedora-user/614931-dvd-iso-copy-weirdness.html)

夜神 岩男 12-29-2011 03:07 PM

DVD ISO copy weirdness
 
I bought a new movie on DVD the other day for my kid (Christmas and
all...). I wanted to back it up because I've noticed a few of my older
DVDs don't play correctly anymore (blocky in spots or don't play period
but are studio cuts that used to work!).


Normally I just put a DVD in the drive, select "Copy disk..." and move
through the dialogue to save it to an .iso. Later I can either have the
computer or the player play it from anywhere in the house.


Simple.

But today this one is acting strangely. It is giving me a css key error,
which is weird, because this is not BlueRay or anything, and it works
just fine in the ancient for-TV DVD player, so its nothing new.


Beyond that, I can open the disk up and see the typical DVD directories:
{VIDEO,AUDIO}_TS


Looking in VIDEO_TS to see what's the matter, everything can be played
just fine. No CSS problems. The DVD works in Media Player, VLC, etc.
just fine. I can run each individual chapter segment as well. But the
total size of VIDEO_TS claims to be 46GB, about 10 times bigger than it
should be... and I'm not going to copy 46GB just to get a movie. It was
a good movie, but not THAT good.


Any ideas?
--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
Have a question? Ask away: http://ask.fedoraproject.org

"T.C. Hollingsworth" 12-29-2011 05:01 PM

DVD ISO copy weirdness
 
2011/12/29 夜神 岩男 <supergiantpotato@yahoo.co.jp>:
> I bought a new movie on DVD the other day for my kid (Christmas and all...).
> I wanted to back it up because I've noticed a few of my older DVDs don't
> play correctly anymore (blocky in spots or don't play period but are studio
> cuts that used to work!).
>
> Normally I just put a DVD in the drive, select "Copy disk..." and move
> through the dialogue to save it to an .iso. Later I can either have the
> computer or the player play it from anywhere in the house.

Do you know what software you're using the copy the disc?

> Simple.
>
> But today this one is acting strangely. It is giving me a css key error,
> which is weird, because this is not BlueRay or anything, and it works just
> fine in the ancient for-TV DVD player, so its nothing new.
>
> Beyond that, I can open the disk up and see the typical DVD directories:
> {VIDEO,AUDIO}_TS
>
> Looking in VIDEO_TS to see what's the matter, everything can be played just
> fine. No CSS problems. The DVD works in Media Player, VLC, etc. just fine. I
> can run each individual chapter segment as well. But the total size of
> VIDEO_TS claims to be 46GB, about 10 times bigger than it should be... and
> I'm not going to copy 46GB just to get a movie. It was a good movie, but not
> THAT good.

That's definitely incorrect, seeing as how even dual-layer DVDs can
hold at most 8GB of data!

-T.C.
--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
Have a question? Ask away: http://ask.fedoraproject.org

Steven Stern 12-29-2011 05:09 PM

DVD ISO copy weirdness
 
On 12/29/2011 10:07 AM, 夜神 岩男 wrote:
> I bought a new movie on DVD the other day for my kid (Christmas and
> all...). I wanted to back it up because I've noticed a few of my older
> DVDs don't play correctly anymore (blocky in spots or don't play period
> but are studio cuts that used to work!).
>
> Normally I just put a DVD in the drive, select "Copy disk..." and move
> through the dialogue to save it to an .iso. Later I can either have the
> computer or the player play it from anywhere in the house.
>
> Simple.
>
> But today this one is acting strangely. It is giving me a css key error,
> which is weird, because this is not BlueRay or anything, and it works
> just fine in the ancient for-TV DVD player, so its nothing new.
>
> Beyond that, I can open the disk up and see the typical DVD directories:
> {VIDEO,AUDIO}_TS
>
> Looking in VIDEO_TS to see what's the matter, everything can be played
> just fine. No CSS problems. The DVD works in Media Player, VLC, etc.
> just fine. I can run each individual chapter segment as well. But the
> total size of VIDEO_TS claims to be 46GB, about 10 times bigger than it
> should be... and I'm not going to copy 46GB just to get a movie. It was
> a good movie, but not THAT good.
>
> Any ideas?

What happens if you use

dd if=/dev/sr0 of=dvd.iso

That should ignore the file system and just copy block for block.

--
-- Steve
--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
Have a question? Ask away: http://ask.fedoraproject.org

夜神 岩男 12-30-2011 07:02 AM

DVD ISO copy weirdness
 
On 12/30/2011 03:09 AM, Steven Stern wrote:

On 12/29/2011 10:07 AM, 夜神 岩男 wrote:

I bought a new movie on DVD the other day for my kid (Christmas and
all...). I wanted to back it up because I've noticed a few of my older
DVDs don't play correctly anymore (blocky in spots or don't play period
but are studio cuts that used to work!).

Normally I just put a DVD in the drive, select "Copy disk..." and move
through the dialogue to save it to an .iso. Later I can either have the
computer or the player play it from anywhere in the house.

Simple.

But today this one is acting strangely. It is giving me a css key error,
which is weird, because this is not BlueRay or anything, and it works
just fine in the ancient for-TV DVD player, so its nothing new.

Beyond that, I can open the disk up and see the typical DVD directories:
{VIDEO,AUDIO}_TS

Looking in VIDEO_TS to see what's the matter, everything can be played
just fine. No CSS problems. The DVD works in Media Player, VLC, etc.
just fine. I can run each individual chapter segment as well. But the
total size of VIDEO_TS claims to be 46GB, about 10 times bigger than it
should be... and I'm not going to copy 46GB just to get a movie. It was
a good movie, but not THAT good.

Any ideas?


What happens if you use

dd if=/dev/sr0 of=dvd.iso

That should ignore the file system and just copy block for block.


It should, but it doesn't. It only copies the first 9MB which, on
checking, copied the previews and ads from Disney (which were almost
more annoying than this problem in the first place).


The way I usually do this is with brasero, just right-clicking and let
it do the rest.


I'm about to just not buy any more DVDs from Disney and switch to
rental-only or go all-out pirate (admittedly an easier option). DVDs and
Bluerays are way too expensive to let decay with no ability to copy them
for legal use.

--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
Have a question? Ask away: http://ask.fedoraproject.org

"T.C. Hollingsworth" 12-30-2011 03:56 PM

DVD ISO copy weirdness
 
2011/12/30 夜神 岩男 <supergiantpotato@yahoo.co.jp>:
> It should, but it doesn't. It only copies the first 9MB which, on checking,
> copied the previews and ads from Disney (which were almost more annoying
> than this problem in the first place).
>
> The way I usually do this is with brasero, just right-clicking and let it do
> the rest.

Try using k3b. Another user on this list had a problem burning a disc
using Brasero, but k3b worked great for them. Perhaps you'll have
similar luck with ripping. I've always used it and never had any
trouble ripping DVDs.

To make sure you get all the goodies from RPMFusion needed to rip a DVD, run:
yum install k3b k3b-extras-freeworld

> I'm about to just not buy any more DVDs from Disney and switch to
> rental-only or go all-out pirate (admittedly an easier option). DVDs and
> Bluerays are way too expensive to let decay with no ability to copy them for
> legal use.

-T.C.
--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
Have a question? Ask away: http://ask.fedoraproject.org

夜神 岩男 12-30-2011 04:08 PM

DVD ISO copy weirdness
 
On 12/31/2011 01:56 AM, T.C. Hollingsworth wrote:

2011/12/30 夜神 岩男<supergiantpotato@yahoo.co.jp>:

It should, but it doesn't. It only copies the first 9MB which, on checking,
copied the previews and ads from Disney (which were almost more annoying
than this problem in the first place).

The way I usually do this is with brasero, just right-clicking and let it do
the rest.


Try using k3b. Another user on this list had a problem burning a disc
using Brasero, but k3b worked great for them. Perhaps you'll have
similar luck with ripping. I've always used it and never had any
trouble ripping DVDs.

To make sure you get all the goodies from RPMFusion needed to rip a DVD, run:
yum install k3b k3b-extras-freeworld


Thanks for the info. I wasn't aware of this.
--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
Have a question? Ask away: http://ask.fedoraproject.org

Patrick Lists 12-30-2011 04:20 PM

DVD ISO copy weirdness
 
On 30-12-11 09:02, 夜神 岩男 wrote:

Any ideas?


What happens if you use

dd if=/dev/sr0 of=dvd.iso

That should ignore the file system and just copy block for block.


It should, but it doesn't. It only copies the first 9MB which, on
checking, copied the previews and ads from Disney (which were almost
more annoying than this problem in the first place).


Maybe it's a DVD with copy protection? Google for "linux copy protected
dvd" or browse these links for more information:


https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RestrictedFormats/RippingDVDs
http://www.cyberciti.biz/tips/linux-dvd-ripper-software.html
http://john-hunt.com/2008/03/05/ripping-copy-protected-dvds-on-linux-ripguard-puppetlock-arccos-etc/
http://old-wiki.flexion.org/DVDRipping.html?index

Good luck.

Regards,
Patrick
--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
Have a question? Ask away: http://ask.fedoraproject.org


All times are GMT. The time now is 08:04 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.