Old 12-28-2011, 06:50 PM
Damian Rodriguez Sanchez

Default starting xfce with vncserver

Hello, I'm trying to start an xfce session on a vncserver connection.

A call to startxfce4 on my xstartup file works with other distributions, but
on my fc15 it just gives me a black screen after I connect.

Any ideas?

0

Old 12-28-2011, 07:05 PM
Joe Zeff

Hello, I'm trying to start an xfce session on a vncserver connection.

A call to startxfce4 on my xstartup file works with other distributions, but
on my fc15 it just gives me a black screen after I connect.

Any ideas?

After this fails and before you try to go into X any other way on that
box connect via ssh and have a look at /var/log/Xorg.0.log and see what
happened. You can also check ~/.xsession-errors to see if anything
failed in an informative way.

Old 12-28-2011, 07:06 PM
Kevin Fenzi

On Wed, 28 Dec 2011 17:50:10 -0200
Damian Rodriguez Sanchez <damian.sanchez@itautec.com> wrote:

> Hello, I'm trying to start an xfce session on a vncserver connection.
>
> A call to startxfce4 on my xstartup file works with other
> distributions, but on my fc15 it just gives me a black screen after I
> connect.
>
> Any ideas?

That should work.

Is Xfce installed? (ie, do a 'yum groupinstall xfce-desktop' to make
sure).

Is that the only thing in your ~/.vnc/xstartup ?

Check the log file? (Should be in ~/.vnc/*.log)

kevin

Old 12-29-2011, 12:12 PM
Damian Rodriguez Sanchez

> Hello, I'm trying to start an xfce session on a vncserver connection.
>
> A call to startxfce4 on my xstartup file works with other distributions,
> but
> on my fc15 it just gives me a black screen after I connect.
>
> Any ideas?

I found my Xfce all messed up this morning when I turned up my computer.
Windows borders were missing and a few other crazy things were happening.
Logged out and in again, rebooted the computer... nothing. Things went back
to normal after I cleared my session cache. I decided to try and establish
an Xfce session again from another PC through VNC and.... it worked!

Obviously, I thought that might have been the reason why I was having
trouble before with Xfce and VNC, so I decided to recover the contents of my
corrupted session cache directory (which I had backed up), just to check. My
desktop went crazy again, but I could still start Xfce sessions through VNC,
so Iím not really sure what happened.

Then I saw your replies.

Joe: no meaningful information (to me al least) in those files. But then
again, I had already established normal sessions when I viewed their
contents.

Kevin: Yes, Xfce is installed, I use it everyday, just started to use it now
through VNC.

Thank you both.

DamiŠn.

0