Old 12-28-2011, 01:32 PM
Alan Cox

Default Implementing a "sometimes" RAID on a laptop. (eSATA, SSD, RAID 1)

> The overall RAID speed will be limited to the slowest drive. There is some

No. On a RAID 1 array read speed is armwavingly the sum of the performance
of both drive - actual numbers are a bit more complex because you now
effectively have two disk heads on non SSD media cases.

> buffering, and the system is not going to be allocating 100% of the CPU to
> disk I/O, all the time. But, your max disk read/write throughput will, of
> course, be limited to the slowest drive

Not always true either but a reasonable approximation for RAID 1. 1 + 0
four disk arrays can give a best of both worlds result in some cases.

Alan

Old 12-28-2011, 01:35 PM
Alan Cox

> How does one set up a "sometimes" RAID ? Or would something like
> rsync be better ? What happens the first time I plug my laptop into
> the eSATA cable after being away from my desk ? What happens if there
> is both new data and an error in existing data ? How does the RAID
> software know the difference ?

For RAID 1 it doesn't. You want rsync or similar to make backups.

> How does one configure the single external eSATA RAID drive to back up
> (mirror) the data for both internal drives ?

You can get most of the benefit of an SSD (read performance) and set up a
RAID 1 with the SSD and part of the hard disk.

> Question 4.
>
> Can only a portion of the eSATA RAID drive be allocated to the RAID
> and the rest left to be mounted by the laptop for general access ?

Yes

Old 12-28-2011, 04:27 PM
linux guy

Good discussion. Thanks for the replies.

Old 12-28-2011, 04:48 PM
Pete Travis

A 17" laptop cuts an awfully large profile.** Are you sure there aren't two SATA bays?

Good discussion. * Thanks for the replies.

Old 12-30-2011, 06:15 PM
linux guy

On Wed, Dec 28, 2011 at 10:48 AM, Pete Travis <lists@petetravis.com> wrote:
> A 17" laptop cuts an awfully large profile.** Are you sure there aren't two
> SATA bays?

My XPS 17 will have 2 SATA bays. One for the SSD with the OS and the
other for a conventional HD with my data. I want to back both of
these drives up to an external drive.