Old 12-28-2011, 05:18 AM
Joel Rees

Default No title bar on app windows under XFCE in one user

Anyone else getting this kind of problem where app windows under XFCE
in one particular user, but not in another, come up without title
bars (and thus no close box, etc.)?

The menu bar is there and functions.

Old 12-28-2011, 05:22 AM
fedora

Is xfce4-panel started?

suomi

Old 12-28-2011, 07:04 PM
Kevin Fenzi

On Wed, 28 Dec 2011 15:18:48 +0900
Joel Rees <joel.rees@gmail.com> wrote:

> Anyone else getting this kind of problem where app windows under XFCE
> in one particular user, but not in another, come up without title
> bars (and thus no close box, etc.)?
>
> The menu bar is there and functions.

Check to make sure xfwm4 is running.

If not, see if you can get to a terminal and run 'xfwm4 --replace &'
If that fixes it, make sure to logout and save your session so xfwm4
starts as normal.

kevin

Old 12-28-2011, 11:32 PM
Joel Rees

On Wed, Dec 28, 2011 at 3:22 PM, fedora <fedora@ayni.com> wrote:
> On 2011-12-28 07:18, Joel Rees wrote:
>>
>> Anyone else getting this kind of problem where app windows under XFCE
>> in one particular user, but not in another, come up without title
>> bars (and thus no close box, etc.)?
>>
>> The menu bar is there and functions.
>
> --
> Is xfce4-panel started?

Yeah, the panel is on the bottom of the screen, and xfce4-panel shows
up in the process list from ps. So I guess it has started.

Old 12-28-2011, 11:39 PM
Joel Rees

On Thu, Dec 29, 2011 at 5:04 AM, Kevin Fenzi <kevin@scrye.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 28 Dec 2011 15:18:48 +0900
> Joel Rees <joel.rees@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Anyone else getting this kind of problem where app windows under XFCE
>> in one particular user, *but not in another, come up without title
>> bars (and thus no close box, etc.)?
>>
>> The menu bar is there and functions.
>
> Check to make sure xfwm4 is running.

xwfm4?

Don't even have it loaded.

yum info and even yum search don't find it.

> If not, see if you can get to a terminal and run 'xfwm4 --replace &'
> If that fixes it, make sure to logout and save your session so xfwm4
> starts as normal.
>
> kevin

Logged in as a different user, XFCE is running on that user. One
difference is that I have flash installed locally in the user that has
the problems. (It's about time to see if Adobe has a more recent
update, I guess.)

Also, Gnome's fallback has the same issues with loss of title bar.

Joel Rees

Old 12-29-2011, 12:27 AM
Kevin Fenzi

On Thu, 29 Dec 2011 09:39:31 +0900
Joel Rees <joel.rees@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Dec 29, 2011 at 5:04 AM, Kevin Fenzi <kevin@scrye.com> wrote:
> > On Wed, 28 Dec 2011 15:18:48 +0900
> > Joel Rees <joel.rees@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> >> Anyone else getting this kind of problem where app windows under
> >> XFCE in one particular user, *but not in another, come up without
> >> title bars (and thus no close box, etc.)?
> >>
> >> The menu bar is there and functions.
> >
> > Check to make sure xfwm4 is running.
>
> xwfm4?

no, xfwm4.

> Don't even have it loaded.
>
> yum info and even yum search don't find it.

Check your spelling. 'xfwm4' not 'xwfm4'

> Logged in as a different user, XFCE is running on that user. One
> difference is that I have flash installed locally in the user that has
> the problems. (It's about time to see if Adobe has a more recent
> update, I guess.)

I'd advise using the adobe yum repo for that reason. You can get
updates much easier.

> Also, Gnome's fallback has the same issues with loss of title bar.

No idea there.

kevin

Old 12-29-2011, 01:56 AM
Joel Rees

On Thu, Dec 29, 2011 at 10:27 AM, Kevin Fenzi <kevin@scrye.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 29 Dec 2011 09:39:31 +0900
> Joel Rees <joel.rees@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Thu, Dec 29, 2011 at 5:04 AM, Kevin Fenzi <kevin@scrye.com> wrote:

>> > Check to make sure xfwm4 is running.
>>
>> xwfm4?
>
> no, xfwm4.

arrrrgggghhhhhh! (The time I've wasted on that this morning!)

Thanks.

>> Don't even have it loaded.
>>
>> yum info and even yum search don't find it.
>
> Check your spelling. 'xfwm4' not 'xwfm4'

I hate it when I do that.

>> Logged in as a different user, XFCE is running on that user. One
>> difference is that I have flash installed locally in the user that has
>> the problems. (It's about time to see if Adobe has a more recent
>> update, I guess.)
>
> I'd advise using the adobe yum repo for that reason. You can get
> updates much easier.

Can you set that up to only load libflashplayer.so to the user's local
.mozilla/plugins to limit the damage every time another exploit is found?
I prefer to keep it out of the accounts I do real work on, just load it in my
kids' account for playing and an account I use for accessing sites that
insist on using flash.

Don't like having their setup stuff loaded globally, but I decided it
was not the same level risk.

>> Also, Gnome's fallback has the same issues with loss of title bar.
>
> No idea there.

Haven't checked yet to see if that's fixed.

Now if I could only figure out how to get my login dialog to behave.

Thanks again.

Old 12-29-2011, 02:47 AM
Craig White

On Thu, 2011-12-29 at 11:56 +0900, Joel Rees wrote:

> >> Logged in as a different user, XFCE is running on that user. One
> >> difference is that I have flash installed locally in the user that has
> >> the problems. (It's about time to see if Adobe has a more recent
> >> update, I guess.)
> >
> > I'd advise using the adobe yum repo for that reason. You can get
> > updates much easier.
>
> Can you set that up to only load libflashplayer.so to the user's local
> .mozilla/plugins to limit the damage every time another exploit is found?
> I prefer to keep it out of the accounts I do real work on, just load it in my
> kids' account for playing and an account I use for accessing sites that
> insist on using flash.
>
> Don't like having their setup stuff loaded globally, but I decided it
> was not the same level risk.
----
you can 'disable' any plugins at the 'profile' level thus achieving the
same thing. In other words, the plugin is installed and available to all
users but some users can simply disable the plugin.

Craig

believed to be clean.

Old 12-29-2011, 01:22 PM
Aaron Konstam

On Wed, 2011-12-28 at 18:27 -0700, Kevin Fenzi wrote:
> On Thu, 29 Dec 2011 09:39:31 +0900
> Joel Rees <joel.rees@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > On Thu, Dec 29, 2011 at 5:04 AM, Kevin Fenzi <kevin@scrye.com> wrote:

> > > Check to make sure xfwm4 is running.
> >
> > xwfm4?
>
> no, xfwm4.
>
> > Don't even have it loaded.
> >
> > yum info and even yum search don't find it.
>
> Check your spelling. 'xfwm4' not 'xwfm4'
>
> > Logged in as a different user, XFCE is running on that user. One
> > difference is that I have flash installed locally in the user that has
> > the problems. (It's about time to see if Adobe has a more recent
> > update, I guess.)
>
> I'd advise using the adobe yum repo for that reason. You can get
> updates much easier.
>
> > Also, Gnome's fallback has the same issues with loss of title bar.
>
> No idea there.
>
> kevin

As I found out before if xfwm4 is not running Xfce and Gnome have a
merging of their features.

Old 12-29-2011, 09:43 PM
Joel Rees

On Thu, Dec 29, 2011 at 11:56 AM, Joel Rees <joel.rees@gmail.com> wrote:
> [...]
>>> Also, Gnome's fallback has the same issues with loss of title bar.
>>
>> No idea there.
>
> Haven't checked yet to see if that's fixed.

As Aaron indicates, Gnome is fixed, too.

Now, what I am curious about is what kind of thing I might have done
to talk XFCE out of starting its own window manager in the first
place. Anyone with the time to enlighten me?

--
Joel Rees