Old 12-28-2011, 01:46 AM
夜神 岩男

Default Silencing Mock

I've never really payed attention (or cared) until now, but Mock is
annoying me with copious lines of:

DEBUG: warning: group iwao does not exist - using root
DEBUG: warning: user iwao does not exist - using root

during builds. I asked the search gods about this one, and all I find
are tons of log files scattered around the net with the same messages in
them -- but nobody asking if this is an error or not.

The builds work fine, its just annoying -- but on systems where this
error pops up the command "mock --scrub=all" can't be run, and I feel
the two are probably related.

Any ideas? I've got to be missing something small here.

Old 12-28-2011, 02:04 AM
Craig White

On Wed, 2011-12-28 at 11:46 +0900, 夜神 岩男 wrote:
> I've never really payed attention (or cared) until now, but Mock is
> annoying me with copious lines of:

> DEBUG: warning: group iwao does not exist - using root
> DEBUG: warning: user iwao does not exist - using root
>
> during builds. I asked the search gods about this one, and all I find
> are tons of log files scattered around the net with the same messages in
> them -- but nobody asking if this is an error or not.
>
> The builds work fine, its just annoying -- but on systems where this
> error pops up the command "mock --scrub=all" can't be run, and I feel
> the two are probably related.
>
> Any ideas? I've got to be missing something small here.
----
I've always assumed that this occurs because the Makefiles/scripts in
the tarballs have hardcoded user names and that it's generally harmless
but always a good reminder of why you don't want to build as root.

Craig

believed to be clean.

Old 12-28-2011, 02:46 AM
"T.C. Hollingsworth"

2011/12/27 夜神 岩男 <supergiantpotato@yahoo.co.jp>:
> I've never really payed attention (or cared) until now, but Mock is annoying
> me with copious lines of:

> DEBUG: warning: group iwao does not exist - using root
> DEBUG: warning: user iwao does not exist - using root
>
> during builds. I asked the search gods about this one, and all I find are
> tons of log files scattered around the net with the same messages in them --
> but nobody asking if this is an error or not.

This happens when opening any SRPM that was created with a user
account that doesn't exist on the target machine. (And will probably
happen every time w/mock because no users exist in the chroot it
makes.) IIUC, RPM stores the owner and permission of all files
included in an SRPM when building it, and then tries to restore them
when it's installed. If it doesn't exist, it prints that warning and
falls back on a default value.

It's completely harmless.

> The builds work fine, its just annoying -- but on systems where this error
> pops up the command "mock --scrub=all" can't be run, and I feel the two are
> probably related.

I think that's just a coincidence. What error do you get when running that?

> Any ideas? I've got to be missing something small here.

-T.C.

Old 12-28-2011, 03:25 AM
夜神 岩男