Old 12-27-2011, 09:56 PM

Default Firefox 9 on F16 can not set Home Page

On 12/27/2011 09:28 PM, Aaron Konstam wrote:
> In Firefox 9 in F16 I can't set the home page. I make my web page
> www.Google.com. Then I go to preferences and click "Use Current Page".
> This works for a while. But when I reboot the home page becomes Bing.
> Is anyone else having this trouble and know how to fix it?
-=-

this has happened many times with firefox releases and with 9.

have a look at this page;

http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/How%20to%20set%20the%20home%20page

also, are you opening pages in a new tab or window?

--

peace out.

tc.hago,

.

*please reply "plain text" only. "html text" are deleted*

****
**
**
**
So I installed Linux.
**
learn linux:
'HowtoForge' http://howtoforge.com/
****

Old 12-28-2011, 12:17 PM
Aaron Konstam

On Tue, 2011-12-27 at 22:56 +0000, g wrote:
> On 12/27/2011 09:28 PM, Aaron Konstam wrote:
> > In Firefox 9 in F16 I can't set the home page. I make my web page
> > www.Google.com. Then I go to preferences and click "Use Current Page".
> > This works for a while. But when I reboot the home page becomes Bing.
> > Is anyone else having this trouble and know how to fix it?
> -=-
>
> this has happened many times with firefox releases and with 9.
>
> have a look at this page;
>
> http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/How%20to%20set%20the%20home%20page
>
> also, are you opening pages in a new tab or window?

No I am not opening pages in a new tab or window. I will try the method
outlined in the web link and see how that works.

Old 12-28-2011, 03:12 PM

On 12/28/2011 01:17 PM, Aaron Konstam wrote:
<>

> No I am not opening pages in a new tab or window. I will try the method
> outlined in the web link and see how that works.
-=-

another suggestion, click "help > restart w/ extensions disabled".

--

peace out.

tc.hago,

.

Old 12-28-2011, 09:17 PM
Aaron Konstam

On Tue, 2011-12-27 at 22:56 +0000, g wrote:
> On 12/27/2011 09:28 PM, Aaron Konstam wrote:
> > In Firefox 9 in F16 I can't set the home page. I make my web page
> > www.Google.com. Then I go to preferences and click "Use Current Page".
> > This works for a while. But when I reboot the home page becomes Bing.
> > Is anyone else having this trouble and know how to fix it?
> -=-
>
> this has happened many times with firefox releases and with 9.
>
> have a look at this page;
>
> http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/How%20to%20set%20the%20home%20page
>
> also, are you opening pages in a new tab or window?

The method outlined in the web page you cited fixed the problem. Thanks!

Old 12-28-2011, 11:39 PM

On 12/28/2011 10:17 PM, Aaron Konstam wrote:
<>

> The method outlined in the web page you cited fixed the problem. Thanks!
-=-

great. glad it did the trick. most welcome.

--

peace out.

tc.hago,

.

Old 12-29-2011, 01:12 PM
Aaron Konstam

On Tue, 2011-12-27 at 22:56 +0000, g wrote:
> On 12/27/2011 09:28 PM, Aaron Konstam wrote:
> > In Firefox 9 in F16 I can't set the home page. I make my web page
> > www.Google.com. Then I go to preferences and click "Use Current Page".
> > This works for a while. But when I reboot the home page becomes Bing.
> > Is anyone else having this trouble and know how to fix it?
> -=-
>
> this has happened many times with firefox releases and with 9.
>
> have a look at this page;
>
> http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/How%20to%20set%20the%20home%20page
>
> also, are you opening pages in a new tab or window?

I reported that the method described in the web page worked. Well the
home page I set survived a restart but not a shut down and reboot.
So I am mystified why this behavior is different than all other versions
of firefox and how to make the home page stay as I set it.

Old 12-29-2011, 02:37 PM

On 12/29/2011 02:12 PM, Aaron Konstam wrote:
<>

> I reported that the method described in the web page worked. Well the
> home page I set survived a restart but not a shut down and reboot.
> So I am mystified why this behavior is different than all other versions
> of firefox and how to make the home page stay as I set it.
-=-

did you try clicking "help > restart with extensions disabled".?

--

peace out.

tc.hago,

.

Old 12-29-2011, 02:59 PM

On 12/29/2011 03:37 PM, g wrote:
> On 12/29/2011 02:12 PM, Aaron Konstam wrote:
> <>
>
>> I reported that the method described in the web page worked. Well the
>> home page I set survived a restart but not a shut down and reboot.
>> So I am mystified why this behavior is different than all other versions
>> of firefox and how to make the home page stay as I set it.
> -=-
>
> did you try clicking "help > restart with extensions disabled".?
-=-

that should have read "Help>Restart with Add-ons Disabled". when firefox
restarts, does it restart with 'bing'?

you may have picked up an add-on that is kicking you to 'bing'.

open firefox, enter 'about:config' in url bar, filter with 'bing'. if
anything shows, post it to list.

have a look at this link;

https://support.mozilla.com/en-US/questions/896169

--

peace out.

tc.hago,

.

Old 12-29-2011, 08:21 PM
Aaron Konstam

On Thu, 2011-12-29 at 15:59 +0000, g wrote:
> On 12/29/2011 03:37 PM, g wrote:
> > On 12/29/2011 02:12 PM, Aaron Konstam wrote:
> > <>
> >
> >> I reported that the method described in the web page worked. Well the
> >> home page I set survived a restart but not a shut down and reboot.
> >> So I am mystified why this behavior is different than all other versions
> >> of firefox and how to make the home page stay as I set it.
> > -=-
> >
> > did you try clicking "help > restart with extensions disabled".?
> -=-
>
> that should have read "Help>Restart with Add-ons Disabled". when firefox
> restarts, does it restart with 'bing'?
>
> you may have picked up an add-on that is kicking you to 'bing'.
>
> open firefox, enter 'about:config' in url bar, filter with 'bing'. if
> anything shows, post it to list.
>
> have a look at this link;
>
> https://support.mozilla.com/en-US/questions/896169

Disabling adons has the same behavior as not disabling them.
I can change the home page to Google and when firefox restarts it is
still Google. However if I shut the machine down Bing is back. There is
no Bing in by about:config display. I agree there must be a
configuration of some sort lying around that wants my home page to be
bing.

I will try what is described in you link above but it might have to wait
a few days. Again thanks for staying with me on solving this problem.

Old 12-29-2011, 08:36 PM
Patrick Lists

On 29-12-11 22:21, Aaron Konstam wrote:

Disabling adons has the same behavior as not disabling them.
I can change the home page to Google and when firefox restarts it is
still Google. However if I shut the machine down Bing is back. There is
no Bing in by about:config display. I agree there must be a
configuration of some sort lying around that wants my home page to be
bing.

I will try what is described in you link above but it might have to wait
a few days. Again thanks for staying with me on solving this problem.

Not sure if this is related but have you tried clicking in the search
box on the logo/drop down arrow and then click on "Manage Search
Engines"? Bing is mentioned there. Perhaps you could try to click on
"Restore Defaults" or just remove Bing and everything you don't want.

Could it be a plugin that is messing with your settings? Have you
checked aboutlugins?

Regards,
Patrick