Old 12-27-2011, 10:59 AM
"Michael D. Setzer II"

Default Getting Usable video with nVidia Corporation NV34 (rev a1)

I've got a classroom amd64 FX 2600 CPU and nVidia Corporation
NV34 [GeForce FX 5200] (rev a1) video cards that are currently
running Fedora 14 with the nvidia driver from rpmfusion. Looking
to upgrade these to Fedora 16 and have gotten everything but the
video working ok on a test machine.

Have found a number of bug reports on the 5200 and 5500 cards,
and the rpmfusion doesn't seem to support cards older than 6000.
The windows will open, but don't seem to have the close,
maximize or minimize buttons. Used gnome-tweak-tool, and it
works on another machine with a RS690 just as I expect.

This is the only computer lab that has Linux on the campus, and
use it to at least show the students what linux can do .

lspci report on the classroom machine.

01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation NV34
[GeForce FX 5200] (rev a1)

Another test machine I recently bought on Ebay that works fine.

01:05.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc RS690
[Radeon X1200 Series]

**