Linux Archive

Linux Archive (http://www.linux-archive.org/)
-   Fedora User (http://www.linux-archive.org/fedora-user/)
-   -   more than one bridge (http://www.linux-archive.org/fedora-user/614218-more-than-one-bridge.html)

Hiisi 12-27-2011 07:10 AM

more than one bridge
 
Hi, list!
Is there a way to set up more than one bridged interface having one
physical device? I'm setting up virtual machines and want them to
share the same network with host computer. For one guest machine I
simply created a bridged interface adding line 'BRIDGE=br0' to
/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-p21p1 (host computer network
interface), then created /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-br0 with
nececarry configuration. How to create second interface for second
guest machine and so on?
TIA
--
Hiisi.
Registered Linux User #487982. Be counted at: http://counter.li.org/
--
Spandex is a privilege, not a right.
--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
Have a question? Ask away: http://ask.fedoraproject.org

Sam Varshavchik 12-27-2011 10:49 AM

more than one bridge
 
Hiisi writes:


Hi, list!
Is there a way to set up more than one bridged interface having one
physical device? I'm setting up virtual machines and want them to
share the same network with host computer. For one guest machine I
simply created a bridged interface adding line 'BRIDGE=br0' to
/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-p21p1 (host computer network
interface), then created /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-br0 with
nececarry configuration. How to create second interface for second
guest machine and so on?


Add the second machine to the same bridge.

--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
Have a question? Ask away: http://ask.fedoraproject.org

Hiisi 12-27-2011 11:59 AM

more than one bridge
 
On 27 December 2011 15:49, Sam Varshavchik <mrsam@courier-mta.com> wrote:
> Hiisi writes:
>
>> Hi, list!
>> Is there a way to set up more than one bridged interface having one
>> physical device? I'm setting up virtual machines and want them to
>> share the same network with host computer. For one guest machine I
>> simply created a bridged interface adding line 'BRIDGE=br0' to
>> /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-p21p1 (host computer network
>> interface), then created /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-br0 with
>> nececarry configuration. How to create second interface for second
>> guest machine and so on?
>
>
> Add the second machine to the same bridge.
>

Hi, Sam!
Thanks, I've already did it. But theoretically, is it possible to
create more than one bridge on one interface?
--
Hiisi.
Registered Linux User #487982. Be counted at: http://counter.li.org/
--
Spandex is a privilege, not a right.
--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
Have a question? Ask away: http://ask.fedoraproject.org

Sam Varshavchik 12-27-2011 12:13 PM

more than one bridge
 
Hiisi writes:


On 27 December 2011 15:49, Sam Varshavchik <mrsam@courier-mta.com> wrote:
> Hiisi writes:
>
>> Hi, list!
>> Is there a way to set up more than one bridged interface having one
>> physical device? I'm setting up virtual machines and want them to
>> share the same network with host computer. For one guest machine I
>> simply created a bridged interface adding line 'BRIDGE=br0' to
>> /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-p21p1 (host computer network
>> interface), then created /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-br0 with
>> nececarry configuration. How to create second interface for second
>> guest machine and so on?
>
>
> Add the second machine to the same bridge.
>

Hi, Sam!
Thanks, I've already did it. But theoretically, is it possible to
create more than one bridge on one interface?


No, because that would make no sense whatsoever. Having a bridge means that
any network traffic received by any bridged interface is also received by
every other one. With the same interface on multiple bridges, because it
receives all network traffic on one bridge, and because it is also on a
second bridge, means that all interface on the other bridge also receive the
same network traffic.


Which is exactly the same as if there was one bridge in the first place.


--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
Have a question? Ask away: http://ask.fedoraproject.org

Frank Murphy 12-27-2011 12:14 PM

more than one bridge
 
On 27/12/11 12:59, Hiisi wrote:


Thanks, I've already did it. But theoretically, is it possible to
create more than one bridge on one interface?


Hi Hilsi,

I put all guest machines on the same subnet,
and they share the same physical eth0 on the host.
That was using Virt-Manager.
So am guesssing it's possible by other methods.

--
Regards,

Frank Murphy
UTF_8 Encoded
Friend of fedoraproject.org
--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
Have a question? Ask away: http://ask.fedoraproject.org

Hiisi 12-27-2011 12:17 PM

more than one bridge
 
On 27 December 2011 17:13, Sam Varshavchik <mrsam@courier-mta.com> wrote:
>
> No, because that would make no sense whatsoever. Having a bridge means that
> any network traffic received by any bridged interface is also received by
> every other one. With the same interface on multiple bridges, because it
> receives all network traffic on one bridge, and because it is also on a
> second bridge, means that all interface on the other bridge also receive the
> same network traffic.
>
> Which is exactly the same as if there was one bridge in the first place.
>

I see. Thank you.
--
Hiisi.
Registered Linux User #487982. Be counted at: http://counter.li.org/
--
Spandex is a privilege, not a right.
--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
Have a question? Ask away: http://ask.fedoraproject.org

Rick Sewill 12-28-2011 02:21 AM

more than one bridge
 
On Tuesday, December 27, 2011 06:59:53 AM Hiisi wrote:

> On 27 December 2011 15:49, Sam Varshavchik <mrsam@courier-mta.com> wrote:

> > Hiisi writes:

> >> Hi, list!

> >> Is there a way to set up more than one bridged interface having one

> >> physical device? I'm setting up virtual machines and want them to

> >> share the same network with host computer. For one guest machine I

> >> simply created a bridged interface adding line 'BRIDGE=br0' to

> >> /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-p21p1 (host computer network

> >> interface), then created /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-br0 with

> >> nececarry configuration. How to create second interface for second

> >> guest machine and so on?

> >

> > Add the second machine to the same bridge.

>

> Hi, Sam!

> Thanks, I've already did it. But theoretically, is it possible to

> create more than one bridge on one interface?




Have you looked into using VLANs?




From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virtual_network, a few paragraphs down,

"VLANs (Virtual LANs) are logical LAN's (Local Area Networks), based on physical LAN's. A VLAN can be created by partitioning a physical LAN into multiple logical LAN's (subnets) using a VLAN ID. Alternatively, several physical LAN's can function as a single logical LAN. The partitioned network can be on a single router, or multiple VLAN's can be on multiple routers just as multiple physical LAN's would be. A VLAN can be on a VPN."




Your question sounds similar to "partitioning a physical LAN into multiple

logical LAN's (subnets) using a VLAN ID."




Can someone, who has used VLANs recently,

comment if this approach will do what the OP wants,

and help with the configuration on Linux if the OP wants to try it?




Last time I used VLANs was the late 1990's...on a SOHO (FlowPoint) router.

I'm afraid I'm a bit rusty and would have to test any "help" I might offer.






--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
Have a question? Ask away: http://ask.fedoraproject.org

Hiisi 12-28-2011 03:01 AM

more than one bridge
 
On 28 December 2011 07:21, Rick Sewill <rsewill@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tuesday, December 27, 2011 06:59:53 AM Hiisi wrote:
>
>> On 27 December 2011 15:49, Sam Varshavchik <mrsam@courier-mta.com> wrote:
>
>> > Hiisi writes:
>
>> >> Hi, list!
>
>> >> Is there a way to set up more than one bridged interface having one
>
>> >> physical device? I'm setting up virtual machines and want them to
>
>> >> share the same network with host computer. For one guest machine I
>
>> >> simply created a bridged interface adding line 'BRIDGE=br0' to
>
>> >> /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-p21p1 (host computer network
>
>> >> interface), then created /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-br0 with
>
>> >> nececarry configuration. How to create second interface for second
>
>> >> guest machine and so on?
>
>> >
>
>> > Add the second machine to the same bridge.
>
>>
>
>> Hi, Sam!
>
>> Thanks, I've already did it. But theoretically, is it possible to
>
>> create more than one bridge on one interface?
>
>
> Have you looked into using VLANs?
>
>
> From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virtual_network, a few paragraphs down,
>
> "VLANs (Virtual LANs) are logical LAN's (Local Area Networks), based on
> physical LAN's. A VLAN can be created by partitioning a physical LAN into
> multiple logical LAN's (subnets) using a VLAN ID. Alternatively, several
> physical LAN's can function as a single logical LAN. The partitioned network
> can be on a single router, or multiple VLAN's can be on multiple routers
> just as multiple physical LAN's would be. A VLAN can be on a VPN."
>
>
> Your question sounds similar to "partitioning a physical LAN into multiple
>
> logical LAN's (subnets) using a VLAN ID."
>
>
> Can someone, who has used VLANs recently,
>
> comment if this approach will do what the OP wants,
>
> and help with the configuration on Linux if the OP wants to try it?
>
>
> Last time I used VLANs was the late 1990's...on a SOHO (FlowPoint) router.
>
> I'm afraid I'm a bit rusty and would have to test any "help" I might offer.
>
>
>
>
> --
> users mailing list
> users@lists.fedoraproject.org
> To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
> https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
> Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
> Have a question? Ask away: http://ask.fedoraproject.org
>

Hi, Rick.
Although I've already configured network access for virtual machines
using VirtualBox capabilities to brige host network interface, it
seems than VLAN-approach is also possible. A fast google reveals many
results on VLAN configuration (for example, I've found this link:
http://www.stg.net/vlanbridge ).
--
Hiisi.
Registered Linux User #487982. Be counted at: http://counter.li.org/
--
Spandex is a privilege, not a right.
--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
Have a question? Ask away: http://ask.fedoraproject.org


All times are GMT. The time now is 01:22 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.