Old 12-26-2011, 06:49 PM
Ed Greshko

Default How To Install Miro & Arista In Fedora 16

On 12/27/2011 12:02 AM, Swapnil Bhartiya wrote:

> I can't find Miro and Arista in Fedora repos (have also installed Live
> and RPM Fusion). I need these two apps to convert movies for my
> Samsung Galaxy 10.1 tab (and also writing a review). Is there any easy
> way to install such apps on Fedora?

I've never used either of those 2. I think Miro was in the F15
repository and if so could also work fine in F16.

I normally use HandBrake to convert videos for my Asus Transformer.
They have F15 rpms and while it is labeled F15 Only it works just fine
in F16.

http://handbrake.fr/

fools. -- Douglas Adams in "Mostly Harmless

Old 12-26-2011, 07:40 PM
Swapnil Bhartiya

I can't find Miro and Arista in Fedora repos (have also installed Live
and RPM Fusion).

I've never used either of those 2. I think Miro was in the F15
repository and if so could also work fine in F16.

I understand, is there any way to install such apps as openSUSE/Ubuntu
have them. I am writing articles and the new Miro has built-in encoding
and transfer for Kindle Fire. So, I wanted to install it on fedora and
also write about it.

I normally use HandBrake to convert videos for my Asus Transformer.
They have F15 rpms and while it is labeled F15 Only it works just fine
in F16.

Handbrake gives issues and movies are 'jerky'. Arista as presets for
Android devices. I thought Fedora had almost equal amount of apps. I
wonder why these are not available on it (Avidemux is also missing).

Thanks
Swapnil

Old 12-26-2011, 07:53 PM
Reindl Harald

Am 26.12.2011 21:40, schrieb Swapnil Bhartiya:
> Handbrake gives issues and movies are 'jerky'. Arista as presets for Android devices. I thought Fedora had almost
> equal amount of apps. I wonder why these are not available on it (Avidemux is also missing).

take a look at rpmfusion-ropos for nonfree-packages
install the repo and search for "freeworld"

Old 12-26-2011, 08:16 PM
Swapnil Bhartiya

Handbrake gives issues and movies are 'jerky'. Arista as presets for Android devices. I thought Fedora had almost
equal amount of apps. I wonder why these are not available on it (Avidemux is also missing).

take a look at rpmfusion-ropos for nonfree-packages
install the repo and search for "freeworld"

I have all three repos installed RPM Fusion free/non-free and livna.
Can't find Miro.

If you look here :
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/pkgdb/applications/Miro%20Internet%20Tv?_csrf_token=829c8caa89188d235 4632793d1714a7efcc77891

There are no packages for F16

Swapnil

Old 12-26-2011, 08:18 PM
Reindl Harald

Am 26.12.2011 22:16, schrieb Swapnil Bhartiya:
> On 12/26/2011 09:53 PM, Reindl Harald wrote:
>>

>> Am 26.12.2011 21:40, schrieb Swapnil Bhartiya:
>>> Handbrake gives issues and movies are 'jerky'. Arista as presets for Android devices. I thought Fedora had almost
>>> equal amount of apps. I wonder why these are not available on it (Avidemux is also missing).
>>
>> take a look at rpmfusion-ropos for nonfree-packages
>> install the repo and search for "freeworld"
>
> I have all three repos installed RPM Fusion free/non-free and livna. Can't find Miro.
>
> There are no packages for F16

i do not use miro
but avidemux is available from rpmfusion while you said it is missing

Old 12-26-2011, 08:26 PM
Swapnil Bhartiya

i do not use miro
but avidemux is available from rpmfusion while you said it is missing

Yes, apologies. Avidemux is in RPMFusion. But no Miro or Arista.

Swapnil

Old 12-26-2011, 09:45 PM
Ed Greshko

On 12/27/2011 05:26 AM, Swapnil Bhartiya wrote:

>> i do not use miro
>> but avidemux is available from rpmfusion while you said it is missing
>
> Yes, apologies. Avidemux is in RPMFusion. But no Miro or Arista.

Well, I just verified that Miro from F15 will install just fine on F16.
So, you can do that. I don't know why it isn't on F16. Maybe a license
issue? Maybe the maintainer dropped it? Don't know about Aristra
either....could be a maintainer hasn't stepped forward.

You can always do the obvious....compile from source. I've done that
plenty of times in a pinch.

FWIW, I've never had a "jerky" problem with HandBrake. I'd have to
look, but I get the feeling that all of these apps use the same backends
to do the work. Maybe you've just used bad presets in HandBrake.

fools. -- Douglas Adams in "Mostly Harmless

Old 12-26-2011, 11:03 PM
Pete Travis

On Dec 26, 2011 9:02 AM, "Swapnil Bhartiya" <swapnil.bhartiya@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,

> I can't find Miro and Arista in Fedora repos (have also installed Live and RPM Fusion). I need these two apps to convert movies for my Samsung Galaxy 10.1 tab (and also writing a review). Is there any easy way to install such apps on Fedora?

> Best

> Swapnil

Hey Swampnil,

Sorry for the sweeping generalizations, but:

Your last couple posts ar saying, in effect, "in Ubuntu, I used $METHOD to accomplish $USER_TASK.* How can Fedora replicate the $METHOD I used in Ubuntu? "

You might run into some trouble, because the two distributions have different $METHODS.* There is an important distinction to be made between the end goal (putting videos on a tablet) and the method used to do it (installing Miro, for example.)* I'm concerned that instead of reviewing Fedora, you will end up reviewing your ability to turn Fedora into Ubuntu.** Your struggle with the apparently unneeded fedora-utils and proprietary nvidia drivers are evidence of the kind of bias I hope your writing doesn't include.

I don't want to put words in your mouth, but :

Instead of saying "installing nvidia drivers was very difficult, and broke my installation so badly I had to reinstall" one could say "fedora doesn't package drivers, such as the proprietary Nvidia binaries, that it does not have the rights to redistribute, but the default open source driver worked well for me."

Instead if saying "I had to use a 3rd party utility to install flash" you could say "Fedora doesn't include flash,* but after a week I found I was glad to be rid of it."

See the difference?

I'm going to assume that your impression of Fedora has been impacted by this list as well.* I hope the list members are aware they are representing our community here, and I hope that you, Swampil, realize that you have not been providing enough information in your postings to receive the full benefit of support the knowledgeable list members here have to offer.

Pete

Old 12-26-2011, 11:17 PM
Swapnil Bhartiya

Sorry for the sweeping generalizations, but:

Your last couple posts ar saying, in effect, "in Ubuntu, I used $METHOD
to accomplish $USER_TASK. How can Fedora replicate the $METHOD I used
in Ubuntu? "

Hi Pete,

You might run into some trouble, because the two distributions have
different $METHODS. There is an important distinction to be made
between the end goal (putting videos on a tablet) and the method used to
do it (installing Miro, for example.) I'm concerned that instead of
reviewing Fedora, you will end up reviewing your ability to turn Fedora
into Ubuntu. Your struggle with the apparently unneeded fedora-utils
and proprietary nvidia drivers are evidence of the kind of bias I hope
your writing doesn't include.

I totally understand and admit that coming for Ubuntu I have migrated
quite a lot of users from Windows to GNU/Linux. These are average users
who don't know much about computers and don't need to. So, I am looking
for ways how to help them and help me in using Fedora. I am trying to
avoid every possible scope for any flameware here as that's not the
goal. I am new to fedora and of course I will look at it from the point
I am familiar with.

I am learning every day. For example now I managed to make my dual
monitor work without installing Nvidia drivers.

I also understand that Fedora's audience may be different than the
Ubuntu's audience. This is an area where I am confused. I think Fedora
is targeted at more advanced users, so I will refrain from recommending
it to average users. I was under impression that may be due to recent
marketing on fedora home page the target audience changed. I have not
spoken with any Fedora guy for ages ever since I stopped working for the
LFY magazine.

I don't want to put words in your mouth, but :

Instead of saying "installing nvidia drivers was very difficult, and
broke my installation so badly I had to reinstall" one could say "fedora
doesn't package drivers, such as the proprietary Nvidia binaries, that
it does not have the rights to redistribute, but the default open source
driver worked well for me."
Instead if saying "I had to use a 3rd party utility to install flash"
you could say "Fedora doesn't include flash, but after a week I found I
was glad to be rid of it."
See the difference?

That's interesting as I wrote a piece about how to install flash in Fedora.

http://www.muktware.com/articles/2917

I'm going to assume that your impression of Fedora has been impacted by
this list as well. I hope the list members are aware they are
representing our community here, and I hope that you, Swampil, realize
that you have not been providing enough information in your postings to
receive the full benefit of support the knowledgeable list members here
have to offer.

I will improve and try my best to polish my queries before posting.

Thanks for your suggestions. Will keep in mind.

Swapnil

Old 12-27-2011, 12:19 AM
Pete Travis

[...]

Hey Swapnil,

I understand you are writing for a specific audience, and you want to be
able to offer them a 'vanilla' impression of Fedora, how it works out of
the box. I commend and appreciate your conversion efforts, and I'm sure
you have plenty of experience explaining that things aren't the same in
linux as they were in Windows.

I don't agree that fedora is only for advanced users, however, because
most things just work out of the box. There is an assumption that a
user is willing to skim/search http://docs.fedoraproject.org - a
resource that is seldom referred with the old, rude acronym - and users
are generally encouraged to contribute bug reports, and follow up on
them (read: help (us help) themselves.) Now, my idea of the 'generic
end user' is someone who needs an operating system to support a browser,
and perhaps a media player or printer. These things are pretty easy to
set up in Fedora. What I'd refer to as 'special case' software CAN be
hard to find - Fedora's software GUI isn't nearly as approachable as
Ubuntu's - but thankfully we have people such as yourself to assist the
masses for the time being.

While I'm pondering my words, I am skimming over some of your articles.
The one titled "Fedora 16 Review: When An Ubuntu User Tries Fedora" in
particular has me reconsidering my suggestion of bias, as it seems that
you are very open about your perspective. I was under the impression
from your postings that you had yet to get to a working Fedora desktop,
but I see that you have done so and are moving on to the next tier of
desktop configuration tasks.

I've probably editorialized enough, and I'm sorry for hijacking your
support thread. I hope you continue to use and enjoy Fedora.

Pete