Old 03-28-2008, 12:36 PM
Rick Bilonick

Default Installing OpenOffice from OpenOffice Website

Has anyone tried installing OpenOffice from the OpenOffice website
(rather than using the Fedora version)? I have the Fedora 8 version
installed but would like to go back to using the non-Fedora version. In
the past, I have always run into problems installing the non-Fedora
version (but could always get it running). I would appreciate hearing
peoples' current experiences and recommendations.

Rick B.

Old 03-28-2008, 12:41 PM
Res

Has anyone tried installing OpenOffice from the OpenOffice website
(rather than using the Fedora version)? I have the Fedora 8 version
installed but would like to go back to using the non-Fedora version. In
the past, I have always run into problems installing the non-Fedora
version (but could always get it running). I would appreciate hearing
peoples' current experiences and recommendations.

I have always only used their version since fedora also hack out bits of
openoffice code they dont want in for their as per usual political
BS, so using OO directly from OO you actually get the complete full
OpenOffice, it alsoc performs more smoothly I've found.

--
Cheers
Res

Old 03-28-2008, 12:58 PM
"Mustafa Qasim"

I have always only used their version since fedora also hack out bits of openoffice code they dont want in for their as per usual political BS, so using OO directly from OO you actually get the complete full OpenOffice, it alsoc performs more smoothly I've found.

Hey buddy what does it mean...? Does packaging software for Fedora mean that we didn't get the real flavor of that software but a censored/edited one?
Mustafa Qasim

Lahore, Pakistan
Cell: 0321-6614972

Registered Linux User# 441709.

Old 03-28-2008, 02:50 PM
Neal Becker

Res wrote:

> On Fri, 28 Mar 2008, Rick Bilonick wrote:
>
>> Has anyone tried installing OpenOffice from the OpenOffice website
>> (rather than using the Fedora version)? I have the Fedora 8 version
>> installed but would like to go back to using the non-Fedora version. In
>> the past, I have always run into problems installing the non-Fedora
>> version (but could always get it running). I would appreciate hearing
>> peoples' current experiences and recommendations.
>>

> I have always only used their version since fedora also hack out bits of
> openoffice code they dont want in for their as per usual political
> BS, so using OO directly from OO you actually get the complete full
> OpenOffice, it alsoc performs more smoothly I've found.

No x86_64 version AFAICT.
Would you install with openoffice's java, or not?

Old 03-28-2008, 04:10 PM
Robin Laing

Mustafa Qasim wrote:

I have always only used their version since *fedora also hack out
bits of openoffice code they dont want in for their as per usual
political BS*, so using OO directly from OO you actually get the
complete full OpenOffice, it alsoc performs more smoothly I've found.

Hey buddy what does it mean...? Does packaging software for Fedora mean
that we didn't get the real flavor of that software but a
censored/edited one?

Mustafa Qasim
Lahore, Pakistan
Cell: 0321-6614972

Registered Linux User# 441709.

I have used both and there are some code changes between the two.

Presently I am using the Fedora released version but only going to wait
a short time for OOo 2.4 as some features that I can use.

Some of the tweaks in Fedora's OOo are for the better. One is sound
support. This uses the native tools. The official OOo requires Java
Media Framework to work with sound on Linux. This burned me one weekend.

There was a thread some time ago on the number of changes between the
official and Fedora releases. This raised the question about changes to
other programs provided in Fedora and where to find a list of the
add/missing bits for each program.

Making the choice may mean testing both. You can install both and have
both running at the same time. I have had four different versions on my
computer at the same time in the past.

--
Robin Laing

Old 03-28-2008, 04:24 PM
Rick Bilonick

On Fri, 2008-03-28 at 11:50 -0400, Neal Becker wrote:
> Res wrote:
>
> > On Fri, 28 Mar 2008, Rick Bilonick wrote:
> >
> >> Has anyone tried installing OpenOffice from the OpenOffice website
> >> (rather than using the Fedora version)? I have the Fedora 8 version
> >> installed but would like to go back to using the non-Fedora version. In
> >> the past, I have always run into problems installing the non-Fedora
> >> version (but could always get it running). I would appreciate hearing
> >> peoples' current experiences and recommendations.
> >>

> > I have always only used their version since fedora also hack out bits of
> > openoffice code they dont want in for their as per usual political
> > BS, so using OO directly from OO you actually get the complete full
> > OpenOffice, it alsoc performs more smoothly I've found.
> >

> No x86_64 version AFAICT.
> Would you install with openoffice's java, or not?

How do you install the latest ooo on Fedora 8? Every time I've tried to
install in the past something got messed up, like being listed in the
menu. I never know which interface rpm to install? Gnome?

Rick B.