Old 03-28-2008, 12:07 PM
"Mustafa Qasim"

Default Does FC really recommends Re-install instead of upgrade?

Hello!
******** Is it just a myth or really people frequently face problems in upgrading FC so they just re-install it. In some other Linux list one said that Fedora recommends to Re-install instead of upgrade. Is it true? . And what is the ratio and most common reasons that cause the problems people face while upgrading FC to new release.

Well for me I haven't tried upgrade I just reinstall FC but now i'll try to upgrade and see if I encounter any problems.
Mustafa Qasim
Lahore, Pakistan
Cell: 0321-6614972

Registered Linux User# 441709.

Old 03-28-2008, 12:49 PM
"max bianco"

******** Is it just a myth or really people frequently face problems in upgrading FC so they just re-install it. In some other Linux list one said that Fedora recommends to Re-install instead of upgrade. Is it true? . And what is the ratio and most common reasons that cause the problems people face while upgrading FC to new release.

Well for me I haven't tried upgrade I just reinstall FC but now i'll try to upgrade and see if I encounter any problems.
Mustafa Qasim
Lahore, Pakistan

Cell: 0321-6614972

Registered Linux User# 441709.

I upgraded from F7 to F8 with no problems but its not a Fedora thing or even a linux thing. Upgrades can and often do work well enough but they can also cause major problems for any OS, especially i think when there is alot of custom configuration involved but others could address that point better than I, in any* case* the general rule is backup before you do anything and when possible a fresh install is better than an upgrade. The general reasoning is with an upgrade you can inherit problems or some misconfiguration can cause problems during the upgrade. A fresh install is just that, a clean slate.

Max

Old 03-28-2008, 12:51 PM
Todd Denniston

Is it just a myth or really people frequently face problems in
upgrading FC so they just re-install it. In some other Linux list one said
that Fedora recommends to Re-install instead of upgrade. Is it true? . And
what is the ratio and most common reasons that cause the problems people
face while upgrading FC to new release.

Well for me I haven't tried upgrade I just reinstall FC but now i'll try to
upgrade and see if I encounter any problems.

there are folks trying to make upgrade less painful/more reliable, so that
reinstall is not a necessity.

Here is their documentation:
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/YumUpgradeFaq

I tend to go for reinstall, because I don't have to wonder 'is this strange
little issue I am seeing because of something left over from before the
upgrade?', i.e., support is more straight forward on reinstall.

--
Todd Denniston

Old 03-28-2008, 01:14 PM
Simon Andrews

Mustafa Qasim wrote:

Hello!
Is it just a myth or really people frequently face problems in
upgrading FC so they just re-install it.

It's probably true to say that some people experience problems after
upgrading, and that some of them choose to fix those by reinstalling.
I'd probably also say that the vast majority of people who upgrade a
working system still have a working system after the updgrade, and that
most of the problems people encounter after upgrading could be fairly
easily fixed without a reinstall.

In some other Linux list one
said that Fedora recommends to Re-install instead of upgrade. Is it
true? . And what is the ratio and most common reasons that cause the
problems people face while upgrading FC to new release.

Upgrading is officially supported by Fedora for up to 2 releases apart
(ie F6 to F8 is supported, F5 to F8 isn't although it may still work).
As of F9 I belive a live yum upgrade of a running system is also supported.

Many people consider a reinstall to be a cleaner option, and if you
don't have many customisations to a stock install and you can easily
restore your own data/documents then it's probably a good way to update.

Well for me I haven't tried upgrade I just reinstall FC but now i'll try
to upgrade and see if I encounter any problems.

As long as you have a good backup of all your important data before
attempting any major system change you've not really got anything to
loose. I've probably done somewhere over 50 upgrades of systems running
Fedora and have never had anything more than minor problems to sort out.

If you do have problems then come back to the list for help, or file
bugs on bugzilla to make sure things get fixed for others in future.

Good luck

Simon.

Old 03-29-2008, 05:35 PM
Ric Moore

On Fri, 2008-03-28 at 09:51 -0400, Todd Denniston wrote:
> Mustafa Qasim wrote, On 03/28/2008 09:07 AM:
> > Hello!
> > Is it just a myth or really people frequently face problems in
> > upgrading FC so they just re-install it. In some other Linux list one said
> > that Fedora recommends to Re-install instead of upgrade. Is it true? . And
> > what is the ratio and most common reasons that cause the problems people
> > face while upgrading FC to new release.
> >
> > Well for me I haven't tried upgrade I just reinstall FC but now i'll try to
> > upgrade and see if I encounter any problems.
> >

> there are folks trying to make upgrade less painful/more reliable, so that
> reinstall is not a necessity.
> Here is their documentation:
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/YumUpgradeFaq
>

> I tend to go for reinstall, because I don't have to wonder 'is this strange
> little issue I am seeing because of something left over from before the
> upgrade?', i.e., support is more straight forward on reinstall.

Quite a bit of the traffic on this list is over something gone crazy
over an upgrade. After one experience trying to upgrade, I've stayed
with a complete re-install since. The other consideration is what to
copy back to the fresh install, from the previous version backup files
like the user's dot-files. No matter which you chose, upgrade or
re-install, the potential for breakage is always there. That's why you
got this loose family here! <chuckles> Ric

http://www.sourceforge.net/projects/oar