-   -   Giving Up On Fedora (http://www.linux-archive.org/fedora-user/613811-giving-up-fedora.html)

Swapnil Bhartiya 12-25-2011 11:55 AM

Giving Up On Fedora

Hi,

I did not want that subject line, but am forced to.

I have been writing about Fedora on Muktware and the review was massive
hit -- around 80,000 reads. Users liked the review and our articles. But
since now I myself am not able to run Fedora on both my machine I don't
know how to write about it. I am willing to share info (error messages)
with you so as to be able to use Fedora.

I have been a long time Ubuntu user and decided to switch post Unity
mess. I tried Fedora 16 and loved it. I installed it on both my main PC
(which has Nvidia GTX 470 card) and Dell XPS. The main was stuck at
boot, after first reboot and installing Nvidia drivers. Could not find a
fix and started using openSUSE. Just today the Fedora on XPS also got
stuck during boot and shows "use systemct1 default" or Ctrl D. Not able
to boot into the system. I posted the issue about main PC on the forum
but did not get any solution, which I totally understand as its
volunteer list and not everyone may face the same problem. But since
Fedora is not running on both my PCs I am in bad position. I do want to
use Fedora, but due to my own technical limiations I can't. I
desperately seek your help to enable me to use Fedora :(

Best
Swapnil Bhartiya

Lawrence Graves 12-25-2011 12:07 PM

Giving Up On Fedora

[...]

I faced the same problem but did not give up on Fedora. I found on
nvidia.com that the 275.43 drivers which were released on 12/14/2011
work.

You will need to install at runlevel3. Do not update the kernel
until they get a permanent fix.* Somebody helped me so if I can give
back, I certainly willing. I don't know much but what little I know
I will be glad to share. After all, that's what Fedora is all about.

--

Lawrence Graves
All things are workable but don't all things work.

Lio 12-25-2011 12:41 PM

Giving Up On Fedora

On Sun, Dec 25, 2011 at 6:25 PM, Swapnil Bhartiya
<swapnil.bhartiya@gmail.com> wrote:

> I have been writing about Fedora on Muktware and the review was massive hit
> -- around 80,000 reads. Users liked the review and our articles. But since
> now I myself am not able to run Fedora on both my machine I don't know how
> to write about it. I am willing to share info (error messages) with you so
> as to be able to use Fedora.

> I have been a long time Ubuntu user and decided to switch post Unity mess. I
> tried Fedora 16 and loved it. I installed it on both my main PC (which has
> Nvidia GTX 470 card) and Dell XPS. The main was stuck at boot, after first
> reboot and installing Nvidia drivers. Could not find a fix and started using
> openSUSE. Just today the Fedora on XPS also got stuck during boot and shows
> "use systemct1 default" or Ctrl D. Not able to boot into the system. I
> posted the issue about main PC on the forum but did not get any solution,
> which I totally understand as its volunteer list and not everyone may face
> the same problem. But since Fedora is not running on both my PCs I am in bad
> position. I do want to use Fedora, but due to my own technical limiations I
> can't. I desperately seek your help to enable me to use Fedora :(

Personally asking you: did you ever give openSUSE a try? If not, try
that and check the results, I bet you would be more happy.

Lio 12-25-2011 12:43 PM

Giving Up On Fedora

On Sun, Dec 25, 2011 at 7:11 PM, Lio <linuxisone@gmail.com> wrote:

> Personally asking you: did you ever give openSUSE a try? If not, try
> that and check the results, I bet you would be more happy.

Please be sure that this line is according to me, don't think it in
general, people in Fedora are more innovative, if you need an highly
innovative system, use Fedora (yes), but you have to regularly ask the
things here but if you need to work some other things, you should need
a stable version, IMHO openSUSE but remember Fedora gives you a more
better and enhanced learning environment, making people least of dumb,
that's all to say you since you were earlier an *buntu user.

Heinz Diehl 12-25-2011 02:25 PM

Giving Up On Fedora

On 25.12.2011, Swapnil Bhartiya wrote:

> The main was stuck at boot, after first reboot and installing Nvidia
> drivers.

This is not a Fedora issue, but an nvidia one. The nvidia drivers are
proprietary software, which means that you're on your own. Switching
to another distribution won't help either, unless they use a fixed
version of that driver.

Kevin Martin 12-25-2011 02:37 PM

Giving Up On Fedora

On 12/25/2011 09:25 AM, Heinz Diehl wrote:
> On 25.12.2011, Swapnil Bhartiya wrote:
>
>> The main was stuck at boot, after first reboot and installing Nvidia
>> drivers.
> This is not a Fedora issue, but an nvidia one. The nvidia drivers are
> proprietary software, which means that you're on your own. Switching
> to another distribution won't help either, unless they use a fixed
> version of that driver.

That's not necessarily true. I was running the rawhide version of Fedora with the nouveau drivers and it would hang on me
constantly and/or, if I didn't turn off acceleration in the kernel line, it wouldn't start at all. So it's not necessarily an
nVidia issue completely. Here's the thing....it's difficult to buy a laptop today that doesn't have an nVidia video card and so it
behooves nVidia, the nouveau developers, and the kernel developers to get their sh*t together (pardon my french) and get these
problems fixed. I have a system hang at least once a day these days running either the nVidia or the nouveau drivers against the
latest rawhide kernels. The other thing that could be adding to this is the fact that every time I do an update there are about 30
X packages that can't get updated due to missing dependencies (again, this is rawhide) so it could be that there is something
"fixed" in one or more of those packages that would alleviate some of the hang issues...won't know until the dependency issues are
resolved (there's a note about this in the rawhide docs but there's no end date in sight for when these issues will be resolved).

Kevin

Heinz Diehl 12-25-2011 03:00 PM

Giving Up On Fedora

On 25.12.2011, Kevin Martin wrote:

> I have a system hang at least once a day these days running either the nVidia or the nouveau drivers against the
> latest rawhide kernels.

I have never used any distribution kernel longer than during the
distr. installation period, and have never encountered any problems with my
nvidia based machines and nouveau. Not a single issue. No hangs,
nothing.

This must not neccessarily have to mean something, of course.

Kevin Martin 12-25-2011 03:11 PM

Giving Up On Fedora

On 12/25/2011 10:00 AM, Heinz Diehl wrote:
> On 25.12.2011, Kevin Martin wrote:
>
>> I have a system hang at least once a day these days running either the nVidia or the nouveau drivers against the
>> latest rawhide kernels.
> I have never used any distribution kernel longer than during the
> distr. installation period, and have never encountered any problems with my
> nvidia based machines and nouveau. Not a single issue. No hangs,
> nothing.
>
> This must not neccessarily have to mean something, of course.

That's why I'm not entirely convinced it's the video drivers that are the only cause. I get the feeling that there's more to it
than that but can't capture any relevant data as the hangs sometimes occur while I'm actually doing something and other times they
happen when the machine is in screensaver mode. And when I say it hangs, I mean it hangs hard, no keyboard response, no network,
nothing. I thought I may have a hardware issue but I've run multiple tests and even taken it in to a repair shop and we've not
found any hardware issues.

Kevin

Michael Schwendt 12-25-2011 03:15 PM

Giving Up On Fedora

On Sun, 25 Dec 2011 13:55:18 +0100, SB (Swapnil) wrote:

> I did not want that subject line, but am forced to.

No, you aren't forced to make a drama out of it. Also, some lines of your
message read as if your decision to give up is not final yet.

> fix and started using openSUSE. Just today the Fedora on XPS also got
> stuck during boot and shows "use systemct1 default" or Ctrl D. Not able
> to boot into the system.

Where are the details? A screenshot or earlier error messages. Possibly
after booting to the GRUB menu and removing kernel boot options "rhgb"
and "quiet" prior to continueing the boot.

> I posted the issue about main PC on the forum

And the link is missing here.

> Fedora is not running on both my PCs I am in bad position. I do want to
> use Fedora, but due to my own technical limiations I can't. I
> desperately seek your help to enable me to use Fedora :(

Nevertheless you may need to deal with the trouble a bit. But if you
give up early, there is not much hope. ;)

Joe Zeff 12-25-2011 04:38 PM

Giving Up On Fedora

On 12/25/2011 04:55 AM, Swapnil Bhartiya wrote:

The main was stuck at boot, after first reboot and installing Nvidia
drivers.

How did you install them? Did you use the binary blob, kmod-nvidia or
akmod-nvidia? I ask because the first method is most likely to give you
trouble, especially after a kernel update and either of the other two is
much easier to use because they're simply "fire and forget."