Old 12-27-2011, 08:05 PM
Swapnil Bhartiya

Default Giving Up On Fedora

On 12/27/2011 01:54 AM, Fernando Cassia wrote:

On Sun, Dec 25, 2011 at 12:37, Kevin Martin<kevintm@ameritech.net> wrote:

Here's the thing....it's difficult to buy a laptop today that doesn't have an nVidia video card and so it
behooves nVidia

Thats because you surely choose CPUs from the Wintel monopoly. ;-) If
you choose an AMD based laptop, itll surely include an ATI video
chipset :-)

My Laptop has no issues with Fedora, the issue was with main PC which
has Nvidia card. I have heard ATI's drivers are even worse than
Nvidia's. Many of my friends using ATI face more problems. I have never
had any issue.

Thanks for recommendation though.

:-)

Swapnil

Old 12-28-2011, 12:05 AM
夜神 岩男

Here's the thing....it's difficult to buy a laptop today that doesn't
have an nVidia video card and so it
behooves nVidia

That´s because you surely choose CPUs from the Wintel monopoly. ;-) If
you choose an AMD based laptop, it´ll surely include an ATI video
chipset :-)

My Laptop has no issues with Fedora, the issue was with main PC which
has Nvidia card. I have heard ATI's drivers are even worse than
Nvidia's. Many of my friends using ATI face more problems. I have never
had any issue.

Thanks for recommendation though.

:-)

Swapnil

For the record my company deploys almost nothing but AMD/ATI to clients.
We've found the ATI drivers to work quite well once understood. We had
to formalized a process to keep the fglrx kernel module in sync with
kernel packages, but that's necessary with any external package that
lives so close to the kernel.

For 3D effects the Radeon drivers sing right along. If anything is
lacking its 2D performance over older cable types (like the older Ds-15
stuff) on HD1080 or larger screens with < Radeon 6230 chips (the tiny,
fanless economy model embedded in Fusion A350 class boards). But there
are driver options which mitigate this to a large degree and a few
sanity settings that drastically cut down on problems that I hear used
to plague ATI. (ProTip: A lot of people think they have the ATI drivers
installed but don't because they never actually compiled the fglrx
kernel module -- and this has given the ATI drivers a bad rap)

Anyway, if Intel/nVidia made fiscal sense we would be deploying that. I
assume we would have had a similar learning curve with their drivers or
noveau. My point is most of this stuff actually works fine on most
chipsets if you can get around to making the drivers make sense to you,
but this can require more study and experimentation than people are
prepared for.

Old 12-28-2011, 12:36 AM
suvayu ali

2011/12/28 夜神 岩男 <supergiantpotato@yahoo.co.jp>:
> Anyway, if Intel/nVidia made fiscal sense we would be deploying that. I
> assume we would have had a similar learning curve with their drivers or
> noveau. My point is most of this stuff actually works fine on most chipsets
> if you can get around to making the drivers make sense to you, but this can
> require more study and experimentation than people are prepared for.

For me, the strongest case for AMD/ATI hardware is availability of
relatively stable FOSS drivers. I have been using the radeon drivers
for a little over 2 years now with my ATI HD4870 and have had almost
no issues. Although I don't use a lot of 3D, I do play some games from
time to time (e.g. Nexuiz, Humble Indie Bundle games). I would rather
support a manufacturer who makes some effort (some might argue
minimal, but an effort nonetheless) to support FOSS drivers.

Just my 2¢.

--
Suvayu

Old 12-28-2011, 05:06 AM
Joel Rees

On Mon, Dec 26, 2011 at 5:43 PM, Swapnil Bhartiya
<swapnil.bhartiya@gmail.com> wrote:
> [...]
> Note: I have a multiboot system (running openSUSE/Ubuntu and trying Fedora
> on it) any advice on that? Since Fedora can't detect Ubuntu I usually don't
> install fedora Grub and then from within Ubuntu update the grub. (keeping
> different OSes for reviews and articles).

FWIW, Debian's grub2 has been good about finding Fedora.

Just wish grub2 were as good at chaining to a non-MSOS as the original
grub was. And didn't get perplexed with three drives hanging on the
master channels of two different controllers. With chaining, I
wouldn't have to update Debian's grub every time Fedora loads a new
kernel.