Old 12-25-2011, 04:47 PM
Pete Travis

Default Giving Up On Fedora

On Sun, 2011-12-25 at 13:55 +0100, Swapnil Bhartiya wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I did not want that subject line, but am forced to.
>
> I have been writing about Fedora on Muktware and the review was massive
> hit -- around 80,000 reads. Users liked the review and our articles. But
> since now I myself am not able to run Fedora on both my machine I don't
> know how to write about it. I am willing to share info (error messages)
> with you so as to be able to use Fedora.
>
> I have been a long time Ubuntu user and decided to switch post Unity
> mess. I tried Fedora 16 and loved it. I installed it on both my main PC
> (which has Nvidia GTX 470 card) and Dell XPS. The main was stuck at
> boot, after first reboot and installing Nvidia drivers. Could not find a
> fix and started using openSUSE. Just today the Fedora on XPS also got
> stuck during boot and shows "use systemct1 default" or Ctrl D. Not able
> to boot into the system. I posted the issue about main PC on the forum
> but did not get any solution, which I totally understand as its
> volunteer list and not everyone may face the same problem. But since
> Fedora is not running on both my PCs I am in bad position. I do want to
> use Fedora, but due to my own technical limiations I can't. I
> desperately seek your help to enable me to use Fedora
>
> Best
> Swapnil Bhartiya

Hey Swapnil,

I'm glad you've been enjoying Fedora. Some time ago, I was an Ubuntu
user, and I think it provided a valuable introduction to the Linux
ecosystem for me. Most seasoned users will attest that their choice of
distro is a personal choice, with some exceptions for special purpose
applications. Okay, you aren't looking to start a flamewar on the best
distro, that just wouldn't be appropriate for a support list, so I'll
get to some helpful information...

Fedora now uses systemd for it's init system. The init system is
responsible for spawning daemons, managing service dependencies, and
generally helping the system get from a bare kernel to a useful system.
For more information on using Fedora with systemd, read here:
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Systemd . I'd also encourage you to at
least skim over the developer's writings, links from the wiki page to
0pointer.de pages, for a better understanding of systemd. But how does
this help YOU?

With your desktop, I'd venture a guess that your GPU is too new to have
3D support from nouveau, the free driver. Fedora doesn't distribute the
'nvidia' driver, but we can install it sanely from a 3rd party source.
Since you haven't said how you got the nvidia drivers, I'll head in that
direction. We can help your laptop along the way.

If you are familiar with the concept of 'runlevels,' there are parallels
with systemd to accomplish the same goals. You can still use the
numerical designations - append {1, 3, 5} to your kernel boot line - but
it's valuable to know how the system works, so we'll use systemd. Since
your system can't boot to a graphical interface, we need to stop at a
'lower runlevel.' The systemd way would be to append
`systemd.unit=multiuser.target` - roughly analogous to a runlevel 3.
You should be able to log into a working bash session at this point (if
not, try a different target.) See if you can pull anything helpful from
the logs to share {/var/log/messages, /var/log/Xorg.0.log, others.}
While you might be able to get by with an nvidia-xconfig to generate an
xorg.conf, if you downloaded the nvidia binaries from nvidia, you should
uninstall them, set up the 'rpmfusion' repo and install the packaged
drivers they provide, by following these instructions:
http://fedorasolved.org/video-solutions/nvidia-yum-kmod
It is a good idea to install akmod-nvidia with kmod-nvidia, this will
locally build the driver for new kernels if needed. Finally, create a
basic xorg.conf file with the command `nvidia-xconfig` and reboot to
load the drivers. If it doesn't work as expected, return to the lower
target and share the logs.

Please let us know how it works out, and if you discover specific
symptoms we can help with. If you have trouble interpreting your logs,
fedora has fpaste, similar to ubuntu's pastebin(it?) so you can publicly
share them.

HTH,

Pete

Old 12-25-2011, 07:48 PM
Roger

The main was stuck at boot, after first reboot and installing Nvidia
drivers.

This is not a Fedora issue, but an nvidia one. The nvidia drivers are
proprietary software, which means that you're on your own. Switching
to another distribution won't help either, unless they use a fixed
version of that driver.

Why the need for nvidia drivers?
I used to think I needed them but with Fedora 14 I tried the latest
drivers included with the distro (Nouveau I think) and it all works ok
with Blender 3d, inkscape, Scribus, and Gimp and anything else I throw a it.

I suspect the drivers will be even better with Fedora 16.
If I may suggest, to try Nouveau and see if it does what you need.
Roger

Old 12-25-2011, 08:23 PM
Swapnil Bhartiya

Please be sure that this line is according to me, don't think it in
general, people in Fedora are more innovative, if you need an highly
innovative system, use Fedora (yes), but you have to regularly ask the
things here but if you need to work some other things, you should need
a stable version, IMHO openSUSE but remember Fedora gives you a more
better and enhanced learning environment, making people least of dumb,
that's all to say you since you were earlier an *buntu user.

Yes, I am using openSUSE as well. But I do want to use Fedora as I want
to be able to write about it for the magazine.

Swapnil

Old 12-25-2011, 08:30 PM
Swapnil Bhartiya

No, you aren't forced to make a drama out of it. Also, some lines of your
message read as if your decision to give up is not final yet.

No, I have not given up on it. I don't want to give up on Fedora. I need
it for my articles.

Where are the details? A screenshot or earlier error messages. Possibly
after booting to the GRUB menu and removing kernel boot options "rhgb"
and "quiet" prior to continueing the boot.

I posted the issue about main PC on the forum

And the link is missing here.

Here is the link of thread for Nvidia card. That issues in un resolved.
As I stated Fedora has failed on both machines, one with Nvidia card
(error on below link)

http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.linux.redhat.fedora.general/405561

And this is a snap of the error on Dell XPS.
http://ubuntuone.com/6nVaGW1YHkXnHiFZ3rp9DR

Old 12-25-2011, 09:05 PM
Michael Schwendt

On Sun, 25 Dec 2011 22:30:23 +0100, SB (Swapnil) wrote:

> > And the link is missing here.
>
> Here is the link of thread for Nvidia card. That issues in un resolved.
> As I stated Fedora has failed on both machines, one with Nvidia card
> (error on below link)
> http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.linux.redhat.fedora.general/405561

That's not much info to comment on , just from two weeks ago, and you
haven't answered to the last reply yet either.

Readers would have to apply a *lot* of guess-work. Have the proprietary
Nvidia drivers worked for you every before with Fedora? With older
versions of Fedora? I don't use those drivers. If you use the RPM Fusion
packages for those drivers, perhaps you can get help on RPM Fusion's
mailing-list(s) - provided that you don't give up early and don't expect
magic incantations to do all the work. It may be necessary to collect
details about the current state of your system and about all steps you try
out when testing something. Terse postings (containing no details) won't
lead to anything.

You also wrote "I tried Fedora 16 and loved it" before installing the
proprietary nvidia drivers.

> And this is a snap of the error on Dell XPS.
> http://ubuntuone.com/6nVaGW1YHkXnHiFZ3rp9DR

Where is an error message in there? All is about USB.

Old 12-25-2011, 09:32 PM
Swapnil Bhartiya

Here is the link of thread for Nvidia card. That issues in un resolved.
As I stated Fedora has failed on both machines, one with Nvidia card
(error on below link)
http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.linux.redhat.fedora.general/405561

That's not much info to comment on , just from two weeks ago, and you
haven't answered to the last reply yet either.

I tried the suggestion but the screen was stuck at the same message.

Readers would have to apply a *lot* of guess-work. Have the proprietary
Nvidia drivers worked for you every before with Fedora?

I can't say as when 16 was released I installed it on my PC and it
worked for almost a week. Once the error came, it was belived Fedora
Utils caused it. I reformatted and did not install Fedora Utils, still
it was stuck after second reboot.

I can do a fresh install once again if that may help.

With older

versions of Fedora? I don't use those drivers. If you use the RPM Fusion
packages for those drivers, perhaps you can get help on RPM Fusion's
mailing-list(s) - provided that you don't give up early and don't expect
magic incantations to do all the work.

I am not giving up but since I can't even boot into the system I can't
do anything for my work and have to use openSUSE for my work -- which I
am happy with, but need Fedora for my articles.

It may be necessary to collect

details about the current state of your system and about all steps you try
out when testing something. Terse postings (containing no details) won't
lead to anything.

I understand, I will keep it posted.

You also wrote "I tried Fedora 16 and loved it" before installing the
proprietary nvidia drivers.

As I stated above, it worked fine with Nvidia drives for a week.

And this is a snap of the error on Dell XPS.
http://ubuntuone.com/6nVaGW1YHkXnHiFZ3rp9DR

Where is an error message in there? All is about USB.

Yes. This is where the screen is stuck and I can't boot into system.

Swapnil

Old 12-25-2011, 09:52 PM
Michael Schwendt

On Sun, 25 Dec 2011 23:32:50 +0100, SB (Swapnil) wrote:

> I can't say as when 16 was released I installed it on my PC and it
> worked for almost a week. Once the error came,

What was the last thing you did before "the error came"? Did you install
any update packages?

> it was belived Fedora Utils caused it.

What is "Fedora Utils"?

Had to search for it, because it didn't sound familiar and
"yum search fedora utils" also didn't find it. Apparently, you refer
to http://fedorautils.sourceforge.net/ which is not include with Fedora.

> I can do a fresh install once again if that may help.

As mentioned, collecting data may be helpful. If you reinstall Fedora 16
and it works initially, try to find out whether applying Updates
reproduces the problem. Save the full list of installed packages _prior_
to applying updates, e.g. "rpm -qa --last > pkgs-20111225-1.txt", then
save and review the list of packages to be installed by a "yum update".
For the beginning, skip updates of the Linux kernel and nvidia drivers.
Or update *only* individual packages, such as the kernel or the drivers.

Old 12-25-2011, 09:53 PM
Joe Zeff

I am not giving up but since I can't even boot into the system I can't
do anything for my work and have to use openSUSE for my work -- which I
am happy with, but need Fedora for my articles.

Are you able to boot into rescue mode? If so, you'd have access to the
various logs; if not, a LiveCD might do the trick.

Old 12-25-2011, 09:56 PM
Joe Zeff

As mentioned, collecting data may be helpful. If you reinstall Fedora 16
and it works initially, try to find out whether applying Updates
reproduces the problem. Save the full list of installed packages_prior_
to applying updates, e.g. "rpm -qa --last> pkgs-20111225-1.txt"

Even easier, you can use /root/anaconda-ks.cfg, as that contains a
complete list of what was installed in the right format to use as a
kickstart file.

Old 12-25-2011, 10:07 PM
Michael Schwendt

On Sun, 25 Dec 2011 14:56:41 -0800, JZ (Joe) wrote:

> On 12/25/2011 02:52 PM, Michael Schwendt wrote:
> > As mentioned, collecting data may be helpful. If you reinstall Fedora 16
> > and it works initially, try to find out whether applying Updates
> > reproduces the problem. Save the full list of installed packages_prior_
> > to applying updates, e.g. "rpm -qa --last> pkgs-20111225-1.txt"
>
> Even easier, you can use /root/anaconda-ks.cfg, as that contains a
> complete list of what was installed in the right format to use as a
> kickstart file.

That's something entirely different and not a valid comparison.
Anaconda's kickstart file lists packages/package groups but not package
version-release and does not track any updates applied after installation.

If Fedora 16 release works, but Fedora 16 with Updates doesn't, one needs
to track down which update (or test-update) is the culprit.