Old 03-28-2008, 11:45 AM
Neal Becker

Default compiling emacs 23 on f8

François Patte wrote:

> Bonjour,
>
> I try to compile emacs 23 in order to have a multi-scripts emacs with
> indian scripts.
>
> Got it from cvs.
>
> ./configure shows some lacks:
>
> Does Emacs use -lXaw3d? no
> Does Emacs use -lrsvg-2? no
>
> Does Emacs use -lm17n-flt? no
> Does Emacs use -lotf? no
>
> It seems that my f8 install lacks some packages which are available on
> Debian under the names:
>
> libfreetype6-dev,
> libfontconfig1-dev, libxft-dev
>

> Are there some equivalent packages on f8 and, if not, is it possible to
> install the debian packages on f8 and how?

You can find m17n in development.
rpm -qa m17*
m17n-lib-devel-1.5.1-1.fc9.i386
m17n-lib-devel-1.5.1-1.fc9.x86_64
m17n-lib-1.5.1-1.fc9.x86_64
m17n-lib-1.5.1-1.fc9.i386
m17n-db-1.5.1-1.fc8.noarch

My libotf package is just (hopefully) about to be accepted. You can find it here:
http://nbecker.dyndns.org/RPM

You can find my emacs-23.0.60.1 svn srpm as of yesterday there as well.

I suggest this in your startup:
(add-to-list 'default-frame-alist '(font . "DejaVu Sans Mono-9"))

Old 03-28-2008, 12:57 PM
Anders Karlsson

* François Patte <francois.patte@math-info.univ-paris5.fr> [20080328 14:01]:
[snip]

> | You can find my emacs-23.0.60.1 svn srpm as of yesterday there as well.
> |
> | I suggest this in your startup:
> | (add-to-list 'default-frame-alist '(font . "DejaVu Sans Mono-9"))
>
> What for?

I guess because Emacs23 is compiled with xft support so you can have
antialiased fonts. I suspect that the line suggested to be added makes
DejaVu Sans Mono-9 (a TrueType font) available in the font selection
menu.

HTH,

--
Anders Karlsson <anders@trudheim.co.uk>
All-Round Linux Tinkerer & RHCE

Old 03-28-2008, 01:42 PM
Neal Becker

Anders Karlsson wrote:

> * François Patte <francois.patte@math-info.univ-paris5.fr> [20080328
> 14:01]:
> [snip]
>> |
>> | You can find my emacs-23.0.60.1 svn srpm as of yesterday there as well.
>> |
>> | I suggest this in your startup:
>> | (add-to-list 'default-frame-alist '(font . "DejaVu Sans Mono-9"))
>>
>> What for?
>
> I guess because Emacs23 is compiled with xft support so you can have
> antialiased fonts. I suspect that the line suggested to be added makes
> DejaVu Sans Mono-9 (a TrueType font) available in the font selection
> menu.
>
> HTH,

Not sure if my last message made it here, the correct link is
http://nbecker.dyndns.org:8080/RPM

Old 03-28-2008, 09:46 PM
Neal Becker

François Patte wrote:

> Le 28.03.2008 13:45, Neal Becker a écrit :
> | François Patte wrote:
>

> |> I try to compile emacs 23 in order to have a multi-scripts emacs with
> |> indian scripts.
> |>

> | You can find m17n in development.
> | rpm -qa m17*
> | m17n-lib-devel-1.5.1-1.fc9.i386
> | m17n-lib-devel-1.5.1-1.fc9.x86_64
> | m17n-lib-1.5.1-1.fc9.x86_64
> | m17n-lib-1.5.1-1.fc9.i386
> | m17n-db-1.5.1-1.fc8.noarch
> |
> | My libotf package is just (hopefully) about to be accepted. You can
> find it here:
> | http://nbecker.dyndns.org/RPM
> |
> | You can find my emacs-23.0.60.1 svn srpm as of yesterday there as well.
>
> OK. Thank you. I got the whole stuff to rpmbuild emacs 23 and succeeded.
>
> One remark: the construction:
> emacs-->/etc/alternatives/emacs-->/usr/bin/emacs-23.60
>
> is missing .....

yes.

> Now regarding the Indian scripts, the problem is the same as before. OK,
> more languages are added (bengali, tamil,...) but Emacs cannot find
> fonts to display these scripts.
>
> I have a lot of Indian fonts on my system, including cdac fonts which
> are listed in Options-->Mule-->List Character Sets, but if you ask "show
> the character tables", it is empty.....
>
> Or I don't know how to use these new possibilities....
>
> Last: if I enable devanagari-* input method, I get some display of the
> glyphs, but it is ugly for the fonts used are unable to build any
> ligatures which is a big problem for Indian scripts!! With this
> devanagari input method, Emacs 22-1 used cdac fonts which are ligature
> capable.
>
> How to automatically enable a font set according to the input method
> required? This is done for chinese, japanese...
>
> Thanks for help.

I don't know anything about that subject, but I recommend asking on
comp.emacs.help (mirrored on gmane.org and probably google groups).

Old 03-30-2008, 12:52 PM
"George N. White III"

On Fri, 28 Mar 2008, Neal Becker wrote:

[...]
You can find m17n in development.
rpm -qa m17*
m17n-lib-devel-1.5.1-1.fc9.i386
m17n-lib-devel-1.5.1-1.fc9.x86_64
m17n-lib-1.5.1-1.fc9.x86_64
m17n-lib-1.5.1-1.fc9.i386
m17n-db-1.5.1-1.fc8.noarch

My libotf package is just (hopefully) about to be accepted. You can find it here:
http://nbecker.dyndns.org/RPM

You can find my emacs-23.0.60.1 svn srpm as of yesterday there as well.

I suggest this in your startup:
(add-to-list 'default-frame-alist '(font . "DejaVu Sans Mono-9"))

I was able to build emacs-23.0 from your svn rpm, using your
libotf, on F8, i686 hardware. The first attempt failed at the

"make bootstrap" dump, as discussed in etc/PROBLEMS. Disabling
exec-shield and then running rpmbuild using setarch:

$ setarch i386 -R rpmbuild -bb emacs.spec

produced working rpms. Thanks.

--
George N. White III <aa056@chebucto.ns.ca>